Old 08-30-2020, 01:43 PM   #1
Guru

City: Malmö
Vessel Name: ABsolutely FABulous
Vessel Model: Greenline 33 Hybrid (2010)
Greenline 33: General Discussion

Now that we have a new, dedicated area for Greenline/Solar/Hybrid discussion, I thought I would start this thread with an eye toward aggregating Greenline 33 General discussion that does not fit in any of the existing threads. Hopefully, this will make it easier for those that might be doing research in the future. Not sure if this type of "organization" will work or not, but will try and see what happens.
Old 03-06-2021, 09:15 AM   #2
Guru

Seeing the thread and video of the super yacht crashing (https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/...ock-56452.html) made me think of a picture I saw back in ~2013 or so. It was of a Greenline 33 that had repeatedly crashed, bow-first, into a cement pier. It wasn't pretty. It was a bow-in box berth and there was no possibility for the captain to turn anywhere during the last minute of his docking process when the problem occurred.

Unlike the super yacht, with its totally electronic system, Greenline 33's have a direct mechanical linkage between the shift lever and the engine. Apparently there was a faulty-designed linkage assembly where the shift cable interfaced with the engine. This linkage could wear to the point of breaking after only a few hundred hours normal use, making it impossible to shift, as in this case, from "forward" to "neutral" or "reverse". The factory (SeaWay at the time) issued a technical bulletin and sent repair parts to all owners on record. Of course, boats change hands, etc., etc and every now and then I come across an owner of a "vintage" Greenline that is totally unaware of this lurking risk. As such, I thought it would be a good idea to post some info on this. See the attached file below from SeaWay.

The parts and design aren't complicated. In fact, my boat yard re-designed the setup to something even better than SeaWay's revised solution.
I highly recommend that any owners of early Greenlines (i.e. built ~2013 and before) take a close look at the condition of this linkage.
Old 03-06-2021, 12:25 PM   #3
Guru

City: Anacortes
Something like this seems like a better and cleaner solution
https://www.mcmaster.com/ball-socket...oint-linkages/
or this one. The advantage here is that you can put as thick a spacer as required to get your cable straight from bracket to end. When tightened there should be no movement of the bolt through the control arm. Only the rotation of the spherical ball when shifting.
https://www.mcmaster.com/rod-ends/in...oint-rod-ends/

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottC View Post
Seeing the thread and video of the super yacht crashing (https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/...ock-56452.html) made me think of a picture I saw back in ~2013 or so. It was of a Greenline 33 that had repeatedly crashed, bow-first, into a cement pier. It wasn't pretty. It was a bow-in box berth and there was no possibility for the captain to turn anywhere during the last minute of his docking process when the problem occurred.

Unlike the super yacht, with its totally electronic system, Greenline 33's have a direct mechanical linkage between the shift lever and the engine. Apparently there was a faulty-designed linkage assembly where the shift cable interfaced with the engine. This linkage could wear to the point of breaking after only a few hundred hours normal use, making it impossible to shift, as in this case, from "forward" to "neutral" or "reverse". The factory (SeaWay at the time) issued a technical bulletin and sent repair parts to all owners on record. Of course, boats change hands, etc., etc and every now and then I come across an owner of a "vintage" Greenline that is totally unaware of this lurking risk. As such, I thought it would be a good idea to post some info on this. See the attached file below from SeaWay.

The parts and design aren't complicated. In fact, my boat yard re-designed the setup to something even better than SeaWay's revised solution.
I highly recommend that any owners of early Greenlines (i.e. built ~2013 and before) take a close look at the condition of this linkage.
sean9c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 12:36 PM   #4
Guru

I couldn't agree more, Sean9C. It's not to difficult to improve on their "improvement".

I found I had a picture of what my yard did. The movement is now in a "ball and socket" joint (red arrow in the picture) that was designed for such movement. There is no longer any movement or wear potential on the control arm.
Attached Thumbnails
R3.jpg  
Old 03-07-2021, 10:29 AM   #5
Veteran Member

City: Monterey Bay
Vessel Name: Swan Song
Vessel Model: Greenline 33 Hybrid '14
Quote:
I couldn't agree more, Sean9C. It's not to difficult to improve on their "improvement".

I found I had a picture of what my yard did. The movement is now in a "ball and socket" joint (red arrow in the picture) that was designed for such movement. There is no longer any movement or wear potential on the control arm.

In my case the failure was at dockside fortunately, and the problem was that the fitting had only several threads ahead of its locknut, and stripped off. I moved the cable clamp about 3/8" fwd for a good bite, and will take another look at it soon for unusual wear. The shift mech. is quite light and smooth.
PeterB40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 04:33 AM   #6
Veteran Member

City: Europe
Vessel Name: Sun Chi
Vessel Model: Greenline 33
Has anyone thought about (or even better, implemented) a washing machine solution?

One of the most frustrating things about doing the inland route is trying to co-ordinate places that have a washing machine every week or 10 days.

Original equipment manuals
github.com/mdcaddic/greenline33
martyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 02:57 PM   #7
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyc View Post
Has anyone thought about (or even better, implemented) a washing machine solution?

One of the most frustrating things about doing the inland route is trying to co-ordinate places that have a washing machine every week or 10 days.

We looked at it every which way for our GL33 and thus far could not find a suitable solution. The most obvious location would be the locker in the companionway, but we don't want to give up that precious storage space.

We took even a harder look at trying to fit a dishwasher into the galley. While the dishwasher could be done, we did not do it, because it would have meant extensive surgery and shuffling things around and losing our beloved 270L refreigerator/freezer to something smaller.

We have found that travelling with 3 complete sets of sheets and not an unreasonable amount of clothing allows us to easly go three weeks between marinas/towns with laundry facilities. Where we're cruising now, daily attire consists of gym shorts, bathing suits or less, when we can.

We spent a summer travelling through the Mecklenberg lake district in former East Germany. Our observation was that clothing was quite "optional" during the summer for this inland cruising area...
Old 06-24-2022, 03:25 PM   #8
Guru

City: Vermont
Quote:
We looked at it every which way for our GL33 and thus far could not find a suitable solution. The most obvious location would be the locker in the companionway, but we don't want to give up that precious storage space.

We took even a harder look at trying to fit a dishwasher into the galley. While the dishwasher could be done, we did not do it, because it would have meant extensive surgery and shuffling things around and losing our beloved 270L refreigerator/freezer to something smaller.

We have found that travelling with 3 complete sets of sheets and not an unreasonable amount of clothing allows us to easly go three weeks between marinas/towns with laundry facilities. Where we're cruising now, daily attire consists of gym shorts, bathing suits or less, when we can.

We spent a summer travelling through the Mecklenberg lake district in former East Germany. Our observation was that clothing was quite "optional" during the summer for this inland cruising area...

Time for a bigger boat :-)

Just kidding, but only partly. These are all key additions that become easier/possible as you take steps up in size. A combo washer dryer is a game changer vs cruising from laundry to laundry. And separate washer and dryer yet another step in living convenience. Same with a dishwasher, starting with an apartment size, then full size. Of course you don’t NEED any of it, but it definitely makes life easier, and reduces the work side of cruising.
Old 06-26-2022, 11:39 AM   #9
Veteran Member

washing machine

I've been looking at the Daewoo mini washer dryer combo with a view to putting it in the companionway locker. I think a little bit of cabinetry changes and it should be ok. Gravity drain into the grey water tank. Something like this.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/22455924266...EAAOSwARdhClNN

Old 07-04-2022, 03:00 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Additional storage (and a foot stool)

Can't claim the credit for this one because I saw similar on another GL33 a week or so ago.
We've just been shopping today for 'Euroboxes'. I got 2 boxes (400 x 300 x 220) as a trial and they fit perfectly under the steering wheel. I'm thinking about trying the 170mm high rather than 220mm and having three, then making a rebated timber lid for each one with a finger hole to allow easy removal. Cost, EUR7,45 each.

End result is more storage but also a step stool making it easier to see when docking and locking.

Cheers

Old 07-04-2022, 03:13 PM   #11
Guru

Quote:
Can't claim the credit for this one because I saw similar on another GL33 a week or so ago.
We've just been shopping today for 'Euroboxes'. I got 2 boxes (400 x 300 x 220) as a trial and they fit perfectly under the steering wheel. I'm thinking about trying the 170mm high rather than 220mm and having three, then making a rebated timber lid for each one with a finger hole to allow easy removal. Cost, EUR7,45 each.

End result is more storage but also a step stool making it easier to see when docking and locking.

Cheers

Sounds interesting! Picture? URL??
Old 07-05-2022, 12:51 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Helm Storage

Quote:
Sounds interesting! Picture? URL??
https://photos.app.goo.gl/i8bKuHUAQZ9AYXP47

https://www.amazon.de/eurobox/s?k=eurobox

(From wikipedia)
A Euro container or KLT box (from German: Kleinladungsträger, "small load carrier") is an industrial stacking container conforming to the VDA 4500 standard. The standard was originally defined by the German Association of the Automotive Industry (VDA) for the automotive industry, but was subsequently adopted across many other areas of manufacturing and the shipping industry. The most common sizes (length × width) are 600 × 400 mm and 400 × 300 mm, which can be stacked together to fill a Euro-pallet measuring 1200 × 800 mm.

Old 07-05-2022, 04:45 AM   #13
Guru

Thanks, Martin!
Old 07-05-2022, 05:29 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Washing machine location

Quote:
I've been looking at the Daewoo mini washer dryer combo with a view to putting it in the companionway locker. I think a little bit of cabinetry changes and it should be ok. Gravity drain into the grey water tank. Something like this.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/22455924266...EAAOSwARdhClNN
Not my suggestion but Belinda suggested putting it in the fwd cabin on the stbd side by replacing the wardrobe. Effectively we use one side for warmer clothes and the other for cooler clothes. We reckon we can find somewhere else for the out of season clothes. I _think_ it will fit. We only need 600H, 550W and 320D

Old 07-09-2022, 11:18 AM   #15
Guru

Quote:
Not my suggestion but Belinda suggested putting it in the fwd cabin on the stbd side by replacing the wardrobe. Effectively we use one side for warmer clothes and the other for cooler clothes. We reckon we can find somewhere else for the out of season clothes. I _think_ it will fit. We only need 600H, 550W and 320D

Looks like a nice unit!
It's difficult to look at the picture and believe it's actually as big as 600H, 550W and 320D.
Anyway, removing the starboard locker for this, I agree could work -- but it would certainly be quite a bit of surgery. Perhaps you are handy with wood.
There is certainly a good opportunity for running drain hose, supply hose and wires there.
Do share how it turned out!
Old 07-15-2022, 03:48 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Storage under the helm GL33

https://photos.app.goo.gl/54t14HJ4JpPhPxm99

Updated

I've very quickly become used to this. The timber is 1200 X 400 (EUR7.99) with 80mm cut off the end. Total cost EUR32 and nothing permanent.
Old 07-15-2022, 03:55 AM   #17
Guru

Quote:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/5NTsM71uLwr8

I've very quickly become used to this. The timber is 1200 X 400 (EUR7.99) with 80mm cut off the end. Total cost EUR32 and nothing permanent.

Interested...but link doesn't work.
Old 07-15-2022, 11:06 PM   #18

City: Oak Harbor, WA, USA
Vessel Name: GOML
Vessel Model: 1978 Fiberform Bermuda 2400
Greenline Hybrid Yachts

Opening up a discussion thread for Greenline Hybrid Yachts.

https://www.greenlinehybrid.com/en
JD Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2022, 04:49 PM   #19
Guru

Hello. In case you haven’t seen it, there’s a dedicated Greenline forum. Lots of discussion there, but I don’t think there is any on the 58 yet.
Old 07-16-2022, 08:42 PM   #20
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
You're right Scott - serves no purpose to have two competing threads, so I'll merge them to save confusion. I think the OP just didn't realise one existed.

Tags
greenline