Greenline 33: Galley Enhancement Discussions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ScottC

Guru
Vessel Name
ABsolutely FABulous
Vessel Make
Greenline 33 Hybrid (2010)
Now that we have a new, dedicated area for Greenline/Solar/Hybrid discussion, I thought I would start this thread with an eye toward aggregating Greenline 33 Galley Enhancement discussions - in order to make it easier for those that might be doing research in the future. Not sure if this type of "organization" will work or not, but will try and see what happens.

I will be uploading some content to this thread in a few days...

Last edited:
Custom Sink

Greenline 33’s built prior to ~2018 came with a round Dometic RV sink in the galley and no drainboard. A dish drying rack from Ikea resolved the no drainboard issue, but introduced a sort of “blockage” to other parts of the work top, including the trash receptacle.

After years of frustration with this, I came up with something that seems to work better, which I will share here via the photos below.

1&2) Devise a new layout for how you might like a custom-built sink to look. Perhaps it might be nice to lower the dish rinsing/drying rack, as there is available space underneath. Measure, measure, measure. And measure again.

3) Make some detailed sketches and get a couple of quotations from competent custom kitchen builders for a custom-built Corian or Krion sink.

4) Finished sink, ready for installation.

5) Preparing to install…

6) Finished installation also showing a smoked-tempered glass splash guard. If you provide your local glass shop a cardboard template, they can make one of these easily. Note: If selecting a pull-out faucet, the location shown in the picture is about the only location that has a chance accommodating the hose underneath – in a free-moving fashion.

Click on a picture below to scroll through all of them in a much larger format

Attachments

• Sink1.jpg
    Sink1.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 42
  • Sink2.jpg
    Sink2.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 42
  • Sink3.jpg
    Sink3.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 43
  • Sink4.jpg
    Sink4.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 39
  • Sink5.jpg
    Sink5.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 41
  • Sink6.jpg
    Sink6.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
Nice work.
Didn't know they would make a custom sink.
Which material / mfg did you use?

Hi Don,
It wasn't Greenline that did this, it was a local custom kitchen builder. They used a material that is like Corian. While Corian comes in a zillion flavors, Krion had something closer to what I was looking for. It seems carpenters can cut, drill, glue and screw sheet Krion as if it were wood.

https://www.krion.com/us/

Last edited:
I will look into Krion.
I have modified Corian molded sink & tops but have not done any actual fabrication / gluing. The Corian actually cuts & routs very nicely with carbide tools. I have also sanded & polished it with good success.
Repolishing counter top scratches also EZ with compounds and buffer.

Galley Drawer Extension

We travel extensively on our Greenline 33. Last year's trip was 6 months. Storage space on a GL33 is pretty generous for a boat of its size. With trips this long, however, we find ourselves looking for any minor thing we can do to further improve.

Never enough room in the galley drawers! The one under the microwave is good. It maximizes all available depth. The other three, as delivered from the factory, do not. I had a carpenter build new “boxes” for the other three, extending each by 11-13 cm in depth. While the volume isn’t really that much more, this small increase makes the available space much more usable. The difference is amazing!

I also found much better drawer tracks at a local home center. They are more solid and allow the drawers to be pulled out ALL the way for full access. They are also self-closing (with a push) – which cushions the impact on the drawer fronts. I’ve had to re-fasten loose drawer fronts a couple of times due to close impact with the original setup.
https://www.accuride.com/en-us/products/3832ec-easy-close

Pictures below:
1 & 2) "Before" - with planned extension outlined
3, 4 & 5) "After"

Attachments

• GalleyDrawersBefore.jpg
    GalleyDrawersBefore.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 28
  • GalleyDrawersAfter1.jpg
    GalleyDrawersAfter1.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 25
  • GalleyDrawersAfter2.jpg
    GalleyDrawersAfter2.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 25
  • GalleyDrawersAfter3.jpg
    GalleyDrawersAfter3.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 28
Galley Lighting for Preservation of Night Vision

There are times, running at night, when we've needed some light in the galley. I searched for years, before coming across a solution that would not destroy my night vision. It's an extremely compact, flexible and dimmable LED light. 12v or 24v. You can select white or red with a simple push of a button. Even the red is dimmable. This has totally resolved our problem with night vision and galley work. LED lighting options are available everywhere, BUT this is the only one I've ever seen that's dimmable and can be switched to red (which is also dimmable)

It's made in Germany. A bit pricey - but worth every bit of the cost, in my opinion at least.

The first picture below is from a piece of literature. The second picture shows the installation location in my GL33. Centered directly over the stove. Unfortunately, I do not have a photo of the finished installation and I am not able to get to my boat at this time to take one (Corona). I will try to upload a picture of the finished installation at some point in the future.

I've also attached a couple of pdf files, which provide better images and a "German amount" of engineering detail ;-)

Overall, the solution has worked out very well for us.

Attachments

• Preb.jpg
    Preb.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 26
  • Preb2.jpg
    Preb2.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 30
  • series_UB01-3-2.pdf
    372.7 KB · Views: 17
  • Montageanleitung Unterbau-1.pdf
    894.3 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
We have finally been able to return to our boat for post(?)-Corona cruising. Am posting this picture of the light I described above after the completion of the installation.

Attachments

• GL33_Galley_Light.jpg
    GL33_Galley_Light.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 19
Replacing gas cooktop with induction

We're looking at replacing the gas with a 2 hotplate induction cooktop. Has anyone done anything like this? Cooktop will be a touch larger and 3200w if both plates are on max power at the same time which I think is very unlikely.
Cost for the cooktop is only about 3 x gas bottle refills as things are in Germany at the moment.

We're looking at replacing the gas with a 2 hotplate induction cooktop. Has anyone done anything like this? Cooktop will be a touch larger and 3200w if both plates are on max power at the same time which I think is very unlikely.
Cost for the cooktop is only about 3 x gas bottle refills as things are in Germany at the moment.

Greetings, Martyc!

We replaced the conventional ceramic 2-burner cooktop on our 2010 GL33 around 2014. We went with Dometic (model C2INB1) and have been very pleased with it. Dometic's product offering and marketing in different countries can be mightily confusing. When we did this, the cooktop was available in Sweden. A few years later, it was not available in Sweden any longer, but it was available in Germany. I don't know about now - but I expect there are more players in the game.

You could also contact Greenline AfterSales for info/specs on what they use for the induction cooktops they deliver with their new GL33's. Contact them here: aftersales@svpyachts.com I have found them to be very responsive to various questions I've had over the years. You might even be able to buy the cooktop from them (???) Would not hurt to ask.

As far as 3200w is concerned, I think you'll be fine. My Dometic is 3700w and I've never felt restricted, even though my inverter can only handle 3000w. Firstly, you will only experience such limitations when you're running on the inverter alone and not when you're on strong shore power. For me, it means I cannot run both burners on max at the same time. In practice, I've never needed to do this anyway. If I have the large burner on max, boiling pasta water, for example, I find I still can get away with the smaller burner on 6-7 (out of 9) without overloading the inverter.

Good luck with your project!

Wow Scott, that’s a great new sink.

We have a Greenline 39. I found a collapsible dish rack with drain board on Amazon. It’s not very big but it works for us. Since it folds flat, it’s pretty easy stow.

Attachments

• E4053CD1-4862-4981-9D91-FCD88E33E0AC.jpg
    E4053CD1-4862-4981-9D91-FCD88E33E0AC.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 9
  • ECF25599-8572-4ECF-8E76-744347A8A078.jpg
    ECF25599-8572-4ECF-8E76-744347A8A078.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 11
  • B48D27DA-E6B2-4AF2-9069-F5134AF82D58.jpg
    B48D27DA-E6B2-4AF2-9069-F5134AF82D58.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 11
  • 181E50D2-C8CE-42BC-84D7-A16BB8309A69.jpg
    181E50D2-C8CE-42BC-84D7-A16BB8309A69.jpg
    150.2 KB · Views: 16
Wow Scott, that’s a great new sink.

We have a Greenline 39. I found a collapsible dish rack with drain board on Amazon. It’s not very big but it works for us. Since it folds flat, it’s pretty easy stow.

This looks like a clever and easy solution. I'm glad you posted it. I think many on TF could be interested in something like this!

SEA LA VIE Greenline 33

Hello Trawler forum and tks for receiving me. My name is Diogo and i' m the owner of the hibrid Greenline 33 SEA LA VIE. I have travel from the Mediterranean to the Atlantic ocean and I' m in Lisbon, Portugal.

Attachments

• 20230213_113424.jpg
    20230213_113424.jpg
    197.7 KB · Views: 16
  • 20220821_203217.jpg
    20220821_203217.jpg
    168.3 KB · Views: 10
Welcome aboard, Diogo!

Welcome aboard and good luck with Sea La Vie.

Welcome aboard. Maybe tell us more about the hybrid.

Remember, the inverter is only as good as the size and health of your batteries.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom