GL33 VWmarine to Volvo D3 220hp conversion in US

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hey its been a while since I've updated, but progress is being made. For those who have access I've posted some video's over on the FB GL33 group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1329548370726108

-Basically old VW w/Hybrid system is out.
-New D3 220hp is placed, and somewhat wired and plumbed, but not mounted.
-We are fabricating some aluminum plate brackets that will bolt to the old VW mounting holes, then mount the D3 to the brackets.
-Aquadrive is being replaced with new Aquadrive and thrust bearing, custom length.
-getting the old thrust bearing off the shaft was quite an ordeal, major disassembly required
-went to replace drive shaft dripless seal and discovered a small amount of electrolysis on the driveshaft, so we dropped the rudder, pulled the shaft and it's at the Prop Shop for repair/replace.
- have a new Vetus waterlock muffler to replace the horrible old muffler, but have not placed it yet
-the dash is another yet-to-be-tackled project
-the throttle will need a custom mount

That is where we are now. The $$$ keep adding up every day but the entire propulsion system will be brand new. We can't wait.

Question for a GL33 non hybrid with the D3 220, what exact prop size came from the factory? Thanks
Todd

Factory ac

My 2014 with vw diesel/ isikata 48v has separate seacox and pumps for isikata cooling and ac pump. Ac seacock goes to pump and ac unit. Discharge goes to vacuum breaker and discharges under water into a second seacock .
Vw cooling is independent and only for the diesel.

No risk to diesel

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom