Old 02-06-2020, 01:23 PM   #1
Guru

City: Qualicum Beach, Vancouver Island
Vessel Name: Capricorn
Vessel Model: Mariner 29 - Sedan Cruiser 1969
Understanding the Coronavirus

This video has been put out to help understand the Coronavirus, how it works, how it is spread, how it replicates and how to avoid it.

rsn48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 12:29 PM   #2

City: =
Vessel Name: Nimiane
Vessel Model: Finn 8
How to avoid it ?
Don't go to China !

song-'bali waters' from film-'morning of the earth'
bogranjac1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 07:05 PM   #3
Guru

City: Nanaimo
Vessel Name: Pilitak
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by bogranjac1 View Post
How to avoid it ?
Don't go to China !
Hopefully you are correct.....but I don't think so.
Early indications are that the virus is very contagious, maybe even from people before they show ANY symptoms, and there is a possibility that patients could still be contagious after they stop showing symptoms as well!
However, be aware that the above is based on very early info, and may change as our knowledge of this new virus develops. There is alot we just don't really know, yet.

Personally, I am not overly confident that we are receiving all the pertinent info from China, and that it could become very widespread.
My advise, hope for the best, but plan for the worst.
Old 02-08-2020, 05:57 AM   #4
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
Ah, now I understand!

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-51413870
menzies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 06:29 AM   #5
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. m. Now that's a twist I hadn't thought of but why am I not surprised? I doubt very much that there is a developed country that does NOT have a germ warfare lab somewhere. Bio weaponry is and has been a fact for centuries, millennia perhaps, and any country would be remiss in not doing research to combat it.
As to experimenting on human subjects? Yes there IS evidence of such. If not currently, certainly historically.
I DO frequent conspiracy sites, on occasion, and the power of suggestion is alive and well. 99.99% of the "theories" are laughable but there's a good chance that "the visitors" DID build the pyramids IMO. Just sayin'

Old 02-08-2020, 08:57 AM   #6
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
but there's a good chance that "the visitors" DID build the pyramids IMO. Just sayin'
On our recent trip to Egypt one of the other guests asked the Egyptologist about the rumor and practicality. The guide laughed him off.

Then throughout the next two days every chance the guide got he made a quip about it aimed at the guy.

Until finally, choosing his words, the guy made it clear it wasn't funny anymore! It was one of those moments where we all froze for a few seconds and then the guide apologized.
menzies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 09:43 AM   #7
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Construction of the pyramids remains a great mystery to many who aren't familiar with the concepts of pulleys, moment arm, f=ma and friction. Then add in a few hundred thousand worker bees and oxen - voila! My amazement was how they fed and watered the construction crew.

But the same mystery holds true for the many structures built by the Incas and Mayans. Then the Great Wall and other Chinese rock structures. The list of imponderables is quite long.
sunchaser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 10:07 AM   #8
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. m. You DO realize that the guide was probably one of "them" and simply covering up the evidence don't you? Common distraction technique. Make fun of the reality until it seems a joke. SOME people will believe anything!
Old 02-13-2020, 12:38 AM   #9
Guru

Just when new cases were less, nearly 15000 new cases in China last night. Query a new diagnosis method, or holding back, or denial, or what? Death toll jumped too. Are the figures out of China reliable? Of course they are.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 06:51 AM   #10
FF
Guru

"Are the figures out of China reliable? Of course they are."

OOOps , sorry, please add 5 zeros to all numbers!
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 06:02 PM   #11
Guru

To be fair, I don't think we (here in North America) could build new medical facilities in less than 2 weeks, or "shut down" large cities with most of the population "self quarantining", etc.

Yes, they are a repressive regime with a terrible human rights record, etc. and yes, we should be at least somewhat skeptical about the info being provided for various reasons, but they do "appear" to be making efforts to control this.
I do have my concerns about how successful they will ultimately be in the control and treatment of this new virus threat!
Lets hope for the best!
Old 02-14-2020, 01:29 AM   #12
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
"Are the figures out of China reliable? Of course they are.OOOps , sorry, please add 5 zeros to all numbers!
I should have made the irony clearer. I think China is in panic mode. I`m glad we are restricting arrivals and quarantining returnees and suspect it will get worse before it gets better.
Old 02-14-2020, 04:09 AM   #13
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
While some in China and elsewhere are predicting a quick end, as early as April, the CDC thinks it will continue beyond the end of this year.

We're still learning much about it. One recent revelation was that until someone shows symptoms, not benefit in testing as even if they have the disease they will generally have a false negative. The tests are not accurate that early, only after one reaches the stage of symptoms and a clinical diagnosis.

One issue with the numbers is that now China is counting those who only have clinical diagnoses. The CDC tends to only count those diagnosed through lab tests. The China method may overstate the count, although perhaps not as a lot of people have it and have no diagnosis. The CDC method tends to significantly understate the count. Note that CDC's method understates flu as well as many people get the flu and never see a doctor or get told by one they have the flu but never a lab done or report to the CDC.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 10:50 PM   #14
Guru

I just read 9 opinions of where it is going, some medical some not, in a financial reporting service. Not pretty. I could summarize it by saying "it`s gone viral', but I won`t.
Old 02-15-2020, 08:22 PM   #15
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Meanwhile, the common flu is infecting and killing many more.
Old 02-15-2020, 08:29 PM   #16
Guru

City: Queensland
Vessel Model: Milkraft 60 converted timber trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
Meanwhile, the common flu is infecting and killing many more.
Yep, dont travel to the USA - Deadly place full of contagion and poor health facilities.

Quote:
80,000 people died of flu last winter in U.S., highest death toll in 40 years

https://www.statnews.com/2018/09/26/...deaths-winter/
Puts things in context.

Was there mass panic?
Were new hospitals built in 10 days to cope with this epidemic?
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 09:29 PM   #17
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
Yep, dont travel to the USA - Deadly place full of contagion and poor health facilities.

Puts things in context.

Was there mass panic?
Were new hospitals built in 10 days to cope with this epidemic?
Actually flu is still very active and there should be more panic. However, none of that dismisses the seriousness of the Coronavirus. It appears to spread far more rapidly within groups than the flu, more like noravirus.
Old 02-16-2020, 01:00 AM   #18
Guru

Agreed that the flu is much more serious than alot of people think!

However, the CoVID 19 (Coronavirus) is something we should be concerned about and therefore, it would be prudent to "take some precautions", such as using good hygiene, regular and diligent hand washing, keeping surfaces clean, etc.
These "precautions' will also provide some protection from the flu as well.
According to the latest info and statistics that are available (and they are changing as this thing develops), this new virus is about twice as infectious as the flu, with approximately 17% of cases requiring an "advanced form of treatment" (like hospitalization), with a much higher death rate per 1000 cases when compared to the average flu season.
This virus has shown that a person is able to spread the virus even before symptoms of illness are evident.
I am not advising panic, but I am saying that we should at least be aware of it's progress, and take reasonable precautions to try to slow it's spread.
Old 02-16-2020, 09:23 AM   #19
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by firehoser75 View Post
Agreed that the flu is much more serious than alot of people think!

However, the CoVID 19 (Coronavirus) is something we should be concerned about and therefore, it would be prudent to "take some precautions", such as using good hygiene, regular and diligent hand washing, keeping surfaces clean, etc.
These "precautions' will also provide some protection from the flu as well.
According to the latest info and statistics that are available (and they are changing as this thing develops), this new virus is about twice as infectious as the flu, with approximately 17% of cases requiring an "advanced form of treatment" (like hospitalization), with a much higher death rate per 1000 cases when compared to the average flu season.
This virus has shown that a person is able to spread the virus even before symptoms of illness are evident.
I am not advising panic, but I am saying that we should at least be aware of it's progress, and take reasonable precautions to try to slow it's spread.
We're learning a lot from the Diamond Princess and from others who have flown out of China. One thing we've learned is that even for those with no signs of it, they may have it, it may not show up for days, and it is already highly contagious. We have no way of identifying these carriers as the tests won't do so. So, we're finding it necessary to quarantine those who have been exposed even with no signs.

We've also learned how difficult it is to keep from spreading. It's spread on the ship much like norovirus, but perhaps even worse. At least more delay and more spreading from those with no symptoms.

Now, the Diamond Princess plan has been referred to so far as something from the 14th century. Rather than evacuation and quarantine, you quarantined the infected and those not infected on the same ship. You had a crew not quarantined serving passengers. So now, still at step one, that those who leave the ship must be quarantined for 14 more days. The Diamond Princess was turned into a disease colony. In an effort to protect others not on the ship, those aboard had their risk dramatically increased.

Note that those being removed to Japan are being tested although still quarantined. Those being flown home to the US are being quarantined but not tested. The difference is the CDC reports too many false negatives on early tests. The Japanese say even if it only shows some of the positives at least they can be further isolated. Regardless, those who have been on the ship still face 14 days of quarantine. The problem is they may still be quarantined around others with the virus, not yet detected.

We have test kits but not yet good ones for early detection.
Old 02-16-2020, 10:03 AM   #20
Guru

City: Bethesda, MD
Vessel Name: Solstice
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 47 Eastbay FB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
Puts things in context.
Quote:
CDC officials do not have exact counts of how many people die from flu each year. Flu is so common that not all flu cases are reported, and flu is not always listed on death certificates. So the CDC uses statistical models, which are periodically revised, to make estimates.
So, statistically, 80k deaths may or may not have had complications from influenza in the patient. Hmmm, a Twain quote comes to mind...

A key difference is there's an existing vaccination regime able to mitigate the effects of influenza. There's nothing yet for Covid-19. Making it that much more dangerous if it spreads.

Granted, dialing up sufficient quantities of flu vaccines is complicated and sometimes the gamble on which strain is likely to be active is not always on point.

And meanwhile you've got a parade of nitwits crusading against vaccinations, leading to insanity like the death of a 4 year old.