Old 02-22-2021, 09:18 PM   #181
Guru

City: Gulf Islands
Vessel Name: Soo Valley
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 36
Rufus, I had to look it up but that explains it all, thanks.
Mitochondria

Soo-Valley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 09:36 PM   #182
Guru

City: Barrington
Vessel Name: Hippocampus
Vessel Model: Boatless at present
You’re right. Those are the words in my brain when thinking. Need to remind myself to not let them come out of my fingers. Sometimes catch myself so give the common word in (...). Unfortunately sometimes need to be precise like prior post when someone else used the fairly common word “immune “ in a way that could cause confusion so took the liberty to correct. Just like a machinist wouldn’t like the use of a “finger breath “ as a measurement when asked to machine a precision part.

Agree for a simple injection swabbing seems overkill and not evidence based.

Listened to Biden’ speech today as we exceeded 1/2 million deaths here. Just hope that takes it out of the political ream and all Americans try harder to follow public health measures. Wish that was further stressed. Gladden by recent improvements in the statistics but remain concerned about another wave as the various variants take hold. The time course to achieve sufficient percentage of the public being fully vaccinated is such we do remain dependent on such measures for control and to prevent that occurrence. That’s an important take away.

Hippocampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 09:56 PM   #183
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. SV. A hint: IF you want to use a word or see a word you're not quite sure the meaning of, highlight it and right click on it (mouse). There should be a pop-up menu appear with a search function. Click on the search function and walla!
At least that's how it works for me.
Old 02-22-2021, 10:05 PM   #184
Guru

Always found it fascinating some think the precursors to mitochondria were independent organisms that invaded primitive cells leading to our current eukaryotic cells( please google eukaryotic it’s worth it). That being the case they have their own DNA. So given our set up with egg and sperm all the mitochondria in you are from your mom and mitochondrial DNA is as well.
Old 02-22-2021, 10:11 PM   #185
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
Mr. SV. A hint: IF you want to use a word or see a word you're not quite sure the meaning of, highlight it and right click on it (mouse). There should be a pop-up menu appear with a search function. Click on the search function and walla!
Thanks, I tried your suggestion
HINT
a slight or indirect indication or suggestion.
suggest or indicate something indirectly or covertly.
Old 02-22-2021, 10:20 PM   #186
Enigma

Greetings,
Mr. (Dr.) H. Can we keep my relatives out of this please?

Old Yesterday, 12:39 AM   #187
Guru

Pilou`s observation dose 2 of Astra Zenica is better taken towards 12 weeks after dose 1 is referenced by a news item I saw today, reporting high rates of protection if the "12 week" period is followed. It`s of special interest here, AZ potion is what most Australians will be offered.
Looking up unfamiliar words rather than asking someone often results in better memory of the meaning. I`d sooner check a meaning than interrupt the flow of information from someone for whom the words are every day use. It`s good to expand knowledge. We probably all have words regularly used in our work unfamiliar to others.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:37 AM   #188
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
Quote:
Greetings,
Mr. (Dr.) H. Can we keep my relatives out of this please?

Neanderthal's? I figured your relatives must be Cro Magnon's, because they apparently had bigger brains than us modern Humans.
Old Yesterday, 07:39 AM   #189
Guru

Seems the relationship between body size and brain size has a very rough correlation to intelligence. A better correlation is between surface area of associative cortex ( cortex not directly involved in movement nor sensation nor vegetive functions).

Seems like several other infectious agents Covid can infect olfactory receptors in the nose. Then pass up their axons through the cribiform plate and then infect the rest of the olfactory bulb/cortex. Eventually infect other areas of the brain. This allows Covid to bypass the blood brain barrier. The very early involvement of the olfactory apparatus explains the early common symptom of loss of smell. Other than the four cardinal tastes taste is really smell. Hence, it’s loss as well.
Old Yesterday, 01:20 PM   #190
Enigma

Greetings,
Getting back to the subject, at hand, how does one deal with this foolishness (IMO)?

https://www.grandforksherald.com/new...andating-masks
Old Yesterday, 03:24 PM   #191
Guru

City: West Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soo-Valley View Post
HC, I always thought doctors use words people have no clue about to remind themselves they have learned to speak a different tongue.
Thanks for the transferal, but you do not need to use these sizable words, just articulate in layman talk.
I disagree.
While I do like the bracketed lay terms, I still enjoy Googling the big words. They teach and often lead to other big words. Never stop learning.
soin2la is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:28 PM   #192
Guru

Quote:
Greetings,
Old Yesterday, 06:35 PM   #193
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by soin2la View Post
I disagree.
While I do like the bracketed lay terms, I still enjoy Googling the big words. They teach and often lead to other big words. Never stop learning.
Well of course you disagree, I would be surprised if we will ever agree on anything.

I google when I need/want to, so what.

Read the title of this thread again. For those of us not used to using these medical terms, understanding would go a long way if words we knew were used instead. Understanding would go a longer way if reading would not be interrupted to search the meaning of a word.
Old Yesterday, 06:56 PM   #194
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soo-Valley View Post
so what.
So, out of 25,000 members, you are the only one to lecture a highly skilled professional, (who is graciously volunteering to share his knowledge) how to present so it is easier, just for you.

That's what.

So don't shoot the messenger.
Old Yesterday, 07:08 PM   #195
TF Site Team

City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
Having received my 2nd dose I'll ask another question of our TF experts in the know and so willing to share.
Having full (2nd) dose and appropriate waiting period.
Can a vaccinated person contract Covid?
My understanding is yes but the vaccine will (high probability) prevent serious illness, hospitalization and death. Does that mean we (vaccinated) are potential carriers / spreaders?
If my understanding is correct does the vaccine actually reduce spread or just reduce hospitalizations and death?
Bacchus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:25 PM   #196
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
Having received my 2nd dose I'll ask another question of our TF experts in the know and so willing to share.
Having full (2nd) dose and appropriate waiting period.
Can a vaccinated person contract Covid?
My understanding is yes but the vaccine will (high probability) prevent serious illness, hospitalization and death. Does that mean we (vaccinated) are potential carriers / spreaders?
If my understanding is correct does the vaccine actually reduce spread or just reduce hospitalizations and death?
Don, just about everything you just asked there comes into the Rumsfeld category of "what we don't know." Not yet anyway.

From past experience with most effective vaccines the answer would be, yes, it prevents the illness, once it has had time to 'take' as it were. Yes, it therefore prevents transmission, as it prevents the disease. Some don't do this completely, but reduce the seriousness and likely transmission, and therefore spread.

With Covid, a lot of this will only become more clear over time. One hopes it will do all of those things. It may not.

So far, especially in places that already have achieved quite a high penetration of vaccination in their population, like Israel, and the UK, the numbers of those contracting the disease have dropped significantly, and the numbers of seriously ill and death also significantly.

So, here's hoping there not too many of Rumfeld's 'unknown, unknowns' out there lurking, for us to find out about this thing. But so far - looking good.
Old Yesterday, 07:42 PM   #197
TF Site Team

City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
Pete
Expected that might be the case. Will wait and stay tuned. We have no intentions of changing our cautious practices other than heading south so we can take advantage of some outside dining.
We are fortunate to travel self contained in our motorhome and headed for a small gated RV community with zero reported cases to date.
Thanks
Don
Bacchus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:03 PM   #198
Guru

City: Signal Mtn., TN
Vessel Name: Stella Maris
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
Pete
Expected that might be the case. Will wait and stay tuned. We have no intentions of changing our cautious practices other than heading south so we can take advantage of some outside dining.
We are fortunate to travel self contained in our motorhome and headed for a small gated RV community with zero reported cases to date.
Thanks
Don
The CDC is expected to release updated guidelines in the near future for people who’ve been fully vaccinated. We had our second dose at the end of January but haven’t changed our habits—and won’t until we hear more from the experts.
angus99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:35 PM   #199
Guru

City: PNW
Quote:
Originally Posted by soin2la View Post
I disagree.
I agree with soin2la. I think the correct words allow more precision. But the big benefit to me during this pandemic has been these two things:

1) Great information from people such as Pilou, Hippo, and others. This alone has reduced my stress level, because knowledge does that. If I only read here I would have a pretty good understanding (at my level).

2) BUT, the side benefit to them not making all of their language lay-language has been that I've now been able to read other (medical) sources and understand much of what they are saying. I can read a study and have a better idea of what parameters or methods they use. I would not have understood those details before.

Sure, I have to Google a word here or there, but it is *well* worth it, IMO.

So, big THANK YOU from me to the medical peeps here who have taken the time to explain things. For me, the use of relatively professional terms has been a help, not a hindrance (I'm willing to look things up). The pandemic has obviously still been stressful, but that stress level has been reduced considerably by reading the posts of "our" pros and understanding more.
Frosty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:48 PM   #200
Enigma