Travel to Canada right now

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
An interesting look at how the Canadians view US boaters who do not respect the current travel restrictions in BC PNW. COVID19

https://www.npr.org/2020/08/02/8981...-track-u-s-boaters-sneaking-across-the-border

The article suggests that all American boaters have AIS and that "right now some 30 to 40 American pleasure boats are cruising through British Columbia's pristine waterways.". I know the former statement is far from accurate and I suspect the latter statement is also far from accurate.

I see the traffic passing in front of my home, and I often check the boats out with binoculars. I also spent all of July cruising as far up as the passes above Desolation Sound. I saw 1 boat flying a Canadian courtesy flag from the upper staff and had the national flag on the taffrail covered. I saw 1 US home port displayed on the transom, and as we were then in a busy anchorage, the RCMP boat "Lindsay" turned up and had a chat with the occupants, then left them alone. One of our party swam over and had a chat, where it was learned the only violation being committed was failure to register the vessel in Canada, as it was now owned by a Canadian resident. I saw 1 boat large enough to be mandated to have AIS, and flying a US flag. That boat was not broadcasting his AIS, and one of my acquaintances at that location did call the Coast Guard to report him.
Other than those three, all of the boats whose nationality I was able to identify have been unarguably Canadian.
Others who may have violated the "Alaska bound" loophole have managed to do so without straying across my bows.

However, if I do run across an American boater who is in violation, I will certainly turn him in. I don't agree with allowing our considerable, and successful efforts to flatten our curve to be jeopardized by someone from the US, where that curve is more of a spike. The borders are closed for a good reason.

The article suggests that all American boaters have AIS and that "right now some 30 to 40 American pleasure boats are cruising through British Columbia's pristine waterways.". I know the former statement is far from accurate and I suspect the latter statement is also far from accurate.

I see the traffic passing in front of my home, and I often check the boats out with binoculars. I also spent all of July cruising as far up as the passes above Desolation Sound. I saw 1 boat flying a Canadian courtesy flag from the upper staff and had the national flag on the taffrail covered. I saw 1 US home port displayed on the transom, and as we were then in a busy anchorage, the RCMP boat "Lindsay" turned up and had a chat with the occupants, then left them alone. One of our party swam over and had a chat, where it was learned the only violation being committed was failure to register the vessel in Canada, as it was now owned by a Canadian resident. I saw 1 boat large enough to be mandated to have AIS, and flying a US flag. That boat was not broadcasting his AIS, and one of my acquaintances at that location did call the Coast Guard to report him.
Other than those three, all of the boats whose nationality I was able to identify have been unarguably Canadian.
Others who may have violated the "Alaska bound" loophole have managed to do so without straying across my bows.

However, if I do run across an American boater who is in violation, I will certainly turn him in. I don't agree with allowing our considerable, and successful efforts to flatten our curve to be jeopardized by someone from the US, where that curve is more of a spike. The borders are closed for a good reason.

So, what if it's a US boat that the owners have been North of the border since the shut down. There were some of these folks that posted on this site at the start of this mess.

We anchored next to a boat with Canadian registration south of the border last weekend and I didn't go over and get into his business because..

#1, its none of my business
#2, I dont care.
#3 Nobody is sneaking across the border these days.

HOLLYWOOD

I agree w koliver,
Someone that is breaking the law or it’s intent is an outlaw.
And I’ll gladly help roust out any outlaws.
Laws are our friends.

I wrote a letter to the editor that didn't get publish. In the Times Colonist article it was said over 100 American boats have been tracked by AIS. I know this is utter nonsense as I have spent days looking at AIS to see who was in our waters, who was in Desolation, who was in the Broughtons, etc. And I didn't find one American until a couple of days ago. I found one boat broadcasting American in Desolation. But.... there are also a number of American boats permanently moored along our central Vancouver Island area.

And idiot Canadians are going after American plated cars here. Realize there are two military bases on Vancouver Island and both bases have American personnel as do American bases have Canadian personnel. The position of 2IC in charge of the Colorado mountain NORAD headquarters is a permanent Canadian position. My family lived in Madison Wisconsin when my father was a Lt. Colonel (Canadian) at Truax Air Field base back in the 60's when it was the headquarters for the 45th Division NORAD.

But, Hollywood, they aren’t bringing the virus here as Americans would be bringing it into Canada. 1 in 12 tests here are positive. 1 in 285 tests in Canada are positive. Quite a different. So I don’t blame Canada for shutting us out. We should have done a better job here stopping the virus.

I just transmitted B.C. from Prince Rupert to Washington to get my boat home from Alaska. We saw two U.S. boats during the trip. When we headed out of Queen Charlotte Strait to go south through Chatham Channel and overnight in Port Harvey, we immediately got hailed on 16 and asked if we weren’t wandering off route. When I explained that Johnston’s had blown gale force the night before and our route to Port Harvey to stage for a very early start down Johnston the guy mellowed out and we talked boats for a bit. But, the message was clear, not real welcome. And considering how badly we’ve botched Covid compared to them, I don’t blame them. Canadian Customs were very serious and required we notify them when we left their country. On that call they needed our US Customs clearance number. So, if anybody’s thinking about cheating, I suggest you think again. Pretty soon their going to need to make an example of someone and you don’t want to be the one trying to get your boat back after they seize it!

If you watch Cruising Sea Venture, they just went from Washington to Alaska, seems fine for just a pass through cruise. At the same time I know folks in Bella Bella that are watching every bay in the area to watch for Americans and Canadians in their territory

And the USCG pounced on a Canadian whale watch boat that " accidentally"

wondered across the US border watching whales recently.

Both nations are using the Covid to keep others away.

HOLLYWOOD

I've only heard of a US boat out of Friday harbor that was fined $1000 for crossing over into Canada. Was this another one?

Four things are occurring:

First, US flagged vessels engaged in a commercial business are indeed passing through BC on their way to AK. Unless doing a non stop, these travels are approved after a visit by Canadian Customs at a POE such as Sidney. I personally know of several that fit in this category.

Secondly, hundreds of US flagged pleasure craft are virus stranded in BC as this is where they are berthed for a variety of reasons. These vessels are routinely exercised by BC boat watchers with in many cases AIS on.

Third, a US flagged vessel can stray across the line in San Juan Island locations provided the vessel does not land or set anchor. These areas would primarily be Straits of Juan de Fuca, Haro Strait or Dixon Entrance and usually involve adherence to shipping lanes for safety purposes.

Fourth, many US boats berthed in BC are being moved to Washinton by a Canadian crew for further movement to points south.

Canadian Customs are well aware of the variety of US flagged vessels legitimately moving through and in BC waters. I've talked with them regarding our vessel moored in Sidney. Simple, pleasant and no nonsense conversations ensued.

Last edited:
Four things are occurring:

Third, a US flagged vessel can stray across the line in San Juan Island locations provided the vessel does not land or set anchor. These areas would primarily be Straits of Juan de Fuca, Haro Strait or Dixon Entrance and usually involve adherence to shipping lanes for safety purposes.

Not saying you're wrong, but if your third point is true, why did this happen?

https://sanjuanislander.com/news-ar...order-friday-harbor-whale-watch-boat-fined-1k

Third, a US flagged vessel can stray across the line in San Juan Island locations provided the vessel does not land or set anchor. These areas would primarily be Straits of Juan de Fuca, Haro Strait or Dixon Entrance and usually involve adherence to shipping lanes for safety purposes

One small correction: Current Canadian Federal Law/Regulations, supersede your third point. Any entry to Canadian waters for non-essential travel, which includes strays, is prohibited.

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/services/covid/non-canadians-canadiens-eng.html#s5
Information for foreign boaters
Unless you are exempt, you cannot currently enter Canadian waters (territorial sea and internal waters) or boundary waters for discretionary (non-essential) reasons. These reasons include:
• touring
• sightseeing
• pleasure fishing
Consult Entry restrictions for more information.
https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-voyage/pb-pp-eng.html

Attachments

• C-19.jpg
    C-19.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:
I know this is utter nonsense as I have spent days looking at AIS to see who was in our waters, who was in Desolation, who was in the Broughtons, etc. And I didn't find one American until a couple of days ago.
Two flaws with the amateur AIS, "I'm watching" scenario are; probably less than about 25% of private vessels have AIS and they are not required to transmit.

Not so much now, but in May, Port McNeill saw a lot of US boats not showing on your typical, free vessel tracking app. and many displayed no flags.

I've only heard of a US boat out of Friday harbor that was fined $1000 for crossing over into Canada. Was this another one?
A Prince of Whales vessel from Victoria, was well over the international boundary, into US waters, when asked to leave.

I'm not certain, but based on their location at the time, I suspect they were viewing southern resident killer whales which are off limits in BC.

One small correction: Current Canadian Federal Law/Regulations, supersede your third point. Any entry to Canadian waters for non-essential travel, which includes strays, is prohibited.

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/services/covid/non-canadians-canadiens-eng.html#s5
Information for foreign boaters
Unless you are exempt, you cannot currently enter Canadian waters (territorial sea and internal waters) or boundary waters for discretionary (non-essential) reasons. These reasons include:
• touring
• sightseeing
• pleasure fishing
https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-voyage/pb-pp-eng.html

Actually my point was safety. On a foggy wet day following the shipping lanes is indeed OK by both jurisdictions and requested by traffic control if you're in that category. Dodging 20 knot tankers and freighters when cruising IFR is much safer when in the regulated traffic lanes.

A Prince of Whales vessel from Victoria, was well over the international boundary, into US waters, when asked to leave.

I'm not certain, but based on their location at the time, I suspect they were viewing southern resident killer whales which are off limits in BC.

A common request even in non COVID times.

I have a friend cruising in Desolation Sound right now..dual citizenship. The hailing port on the the transom or AIS transmission is not an iron-clad reliable indicator. That being said, I'm pretty sure not every American flagged boat is owned by a dual citizenship captain.

Actually my point was safety. On a foggy wet day following the shipping lanes is indeed OK by both jurisdictions and requested by traffic control if you're in that category. Dodging 20 knot tankers and freighters when cruising IFR is much safer when in the regulated traffic lanes.

Ok, thanks for that clarification. I read point three as a broad, general statement, covering any straying of both N & S borders.

A common request even in non COVID times.

For decades since whale watching began in BC and WA, tour operators have enjoyed hassle free border crossings; WA boats up into Georgia Strait and CA vessels into Puget Sound.

Last summer’s grounding of a Canadian tour boat on Smith Island, brought negative attention to these long standing practices.

This year, prior to the end of June, BC operators sat at the dock while boats from Friday Harbour and Port Angeles, visited from Race Rocks to Roberts Bank.

Only since the restart of BC whale watching on July 1, and the border closure, have both sides been more sensitive and reactionary, to the issue.

I'll be curious to see if the border opens by next summer. The guidance I've seen is that BC doesn't want to open until there's herd immunity or a vaccine.

Here are the Canadian rules, copied and pasted from this URL: https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/services/covid/non-canadians-canadiens-eng.html#s5

touring
sightseeing
pleasure fishing

Transiting boaters

You may still navigate through international or Canadian waters while in transit directly from one place outside Canada to another place outside Canada, if the transit is:

direct
continuous/uninterrupted
by the most reasonable route
Transiting travellers may only make non-discretionary (essential) stops along the way, including to use facilities, refuel or for essential supplies.

You must follow social distancing practices and wear a non-medical mass or face covering during these stops.

Anchoring

You may stop and anchor out of ordinary navigation, particularly if it becomes dangerous to navigate at night or if the crew must rest before safely continuing your trip.

If you anchor to spend the night, you must quarantine on your boat. If this is not possible, you may quarantine at a hotel until you are ready to resume your trip.

Consult Quarantine requirement for more information.

Reporting requirements

If at any point a transiting vessel lands on Canadian soil, anchors, moors or comes alongside another vessel in Canadian waters, or if anyone onboard disembarks in Canada, the operator must report to the CBSA. All entry restrictions apply.

The CBSA and its law enforcement partners are actively monitoring Canadian waterways. If you fail to report to the CBSA, regardless if your purpose is non-discretionary (essential) such as to refuel, you may face severe penalties. Failure to report may also affect your immigration admissibility and ability to re-enter Canada in the future.​

To me this reads that US residents and vessels are allowed to clear into Canada and transit Canada on their way to Alaska (regardless of why they are going), but the transit through Canada must be for the sole purpose of getting to Alaska. People on the transiting boats are allowed off the boat for "essential services" if they follow social distancing practices.

My sense is many people aren't aware of these rules or feel they're inadequate for protecting Canada.

Regardless of the rules, I've heard that some/many Canadians are downright hostile to Americans at the moment. We skipped cruising to Alaska this year, in large part to respect the wishes of locals along the coast.

I'll be curious to see if the border opens by next summer. The guidance I've seen is that BC doesn't want to open until there's herd immunity or a vaccine.

Regardless of the rules, I've heard that some/many Canadians are downright hostile to Americans at the moment. We skipped cruising to Alaska this year, in large part to respect the wishes of locals along the coast.
Many Canadians are downright hostile to other Canadians at the moment.

"Plate hate" a new term on Vancouver Island, is flung at Albertans more than Americans. A MAGA hat means Make Albertans Go Away.:mad:

The Canadian Atlantic provinces (The Maritimes) are still prohibiting travel from other provinces, without 14 day isolation.

On border opening, it is easy to forget this is more than a BC-WA issue. It is all or none and until it is safe along the entire 4,000 miles of our southern border, there will be no substantial change. As well, when it does reopen, I'm sure it will be more gradual than just throwing the barn doors wide open.

Today I was out in Trincomali Channel. Southbound flotilla of 4 GBs heading south, got my attention when, on channel 16 there was a discussion between them about stopping for fuel. When I put the binoculars on them, there were no national flags displayed and no Canadian courtesy flags displayed. Then I checked AIS and sure enough, there they were. 4 US boats, travelling together from Alaska. Their ports had been Wrangel, Ketchican, Prince Ru[ert, Shearwater, Port Mc Neill, Campbell River.
Today they had travelled from Campbell River. Their destination, according to the fueling discussion, was Friday Harbour, though i don't know if that was today or tomorrow.

Clearly these were "Alaska exception" boats heading home.
How is it that we give Alaska residents an exception to get to their home in the north, then they turn around and go back where they have come from?

Tell me if I am wrong. Surely these are not liars who got to go to Alaska under false pretenses and now are truthfully getting a "Washington exception" to go home!
Where does getting home (necessary) become tourism (not necessary)?

How do you honest US TFers feel about liars like this?

I have their boat names.

Last edited:
Those were the same charter boats from NW Explorations that left Bellingham in the middle of June heading to Alaska:mad::mad::mad:

Those were the same charter boats from NW Explorations that left Bellingham in the middle of June heading to Alaska:mad::mad::mad:
Yes, they were seen in Port McNeill on the way up and if I recall correctly, the only port stop between Bellingham and Prince Rupert, was McNeill.
So why so many stops on the way back?
My guess they got around it because going up, enforcement was lax and now they had to "get back home to WA."
I believe, they were required to check in with CBSA, before leaving Canada.
I hope you lads reported them.

They did three stop on the way up before arriving at Port McNeil. Funny thing is they are trying to book a fottila cruise to Desolation Sound September 18th - October 2nd, 2020. Sure hope they get a NO WAY from Customs this time...................

Thanks Mike. Now we know for sure they are liars, just as I feared. 100% tourism. Scammed our Border guys.

Edit: I just checked out the NW Explorations site. Their boat names are in fact the boats I saw today.

Last edited:
The USA has 10 times Canada's population and 43 times the number of Covid infections...if Mexico and Canada had 43 times what the USA has, do you think we'd be allowed into the USA?

Why can't everybody holiday near home?

Any US and Canadian businesses violating the rules should be barred from doing cross border business, even after this is over and the borders open :mad:

I miss spending money visiting foreign locations, enjoying their charms.

The USA has 10 times Canada's population and 43 times the number of Covid infections...if Mexico and Canada had 43 times what the USA has, do you think we'd be allowed into the USA?

Why can't everybody holiday near home?

Any US and Canadian businesses violating the rules should be barred from doing cross border business, even after this is over and the borders open :mad:

Don't forget that they are told by their leader to not test so much, so the 43x is only what we are allowed to see.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom