Travel to Canada right now

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
...I especially liked the old joke, a way in, about how to get 50 Canadians to exit a swimming pool, likewise 50 Americans. Just a bit of fun.

Got a chuckle out of that as well :D

Keep in mind, with less than perfect masks (as in, not a perfectly fitted N95), they're more effective at keeping people from spewing things out vs sucking them in. And by not spewing things out, there's less surface contamination as well.

Greetings,
Mr. r. THAT'S exactly the point! It's NOT about self protection. You're protecting me and I'm protecting you. As noted and I agree, a mask might not provide a lot of protection for oneself, it's the other guy/gal.

This is something the anti-maskers don't seem to realize. The a-m's appear to think that if it isn't 100% effective, it's pointless...DUH!!!

It's just one more line of defense.

Greetings,
Mr. r. THAT'S exactly the point! It's NOT about self protection. You're protecting me and I'm protecting you. As noted and I agree, a mask might not provide a lot of protection for oneself, it's the other guy/gal.

This is something the anti-maskers don't seem to realize. The a-m's appear to think that if it isn't 100% effective, it's pointless...DUH!!!

They won't get it if they don't by now. They...

- are too entrenched and protective of position to see reality staring them in the face,

- can't understand there has been no pandemic in recorded history that didn't have a second wave,

- or that the Spanish Flu's second wave was at least 6 times bigger, and

- that this first wave was a training session.

Good luck everyone, and in this case you make your own luck individually which adds up to how your family, community, state or province, and country will do.

The evidence is and will be in the body count.

Doom & gloom post for sure, but I hold little hope for deniers at this point.

Last edited:
Greetings,

This guy agrees with you :):):)

7c71d0a3_e4b4_4f4e_8e74_c2ed813cd72d_59c9dabfbb6e9c94c75013d1f73e15c938f00c58.jpeg

The primary reason for all those cases in New England is overcrowding. Homes built on zero lot lines, rowhouses, apartment building etc. You get the idea..... GA had a high number of cases primarly in Atlanta (3,669 p/sqmi) and Albany . Only a couple of counties did not have any cases - there were only 8-9 per square mile. The higher density populations are causing the spread. That and GA/FL not quarantining anyone travelling down interstates as NY-NJ have done.

I saw two in May that had a legitimate reason to transit BC water.
Not disputing that, but if you are anywhere near Blind Channel, pop in behind the Cordero Islands. Two US boats with Canadian flags off the stern. How legitimate is that?

Not disputing that, but if you are anywhere near Blind Channel, pop in behind the Cordero Islands. Two US boats with Canadian flags off the stern. How legitimate is that?

Umm, courtesy flags - just poorly displayed? :surrender:

We know they are Americans, how?

Don't like it turn them in, on video so we on TF can watch!

Selfish, self-centered, entitled morons. Why do a very few have to screw it up for everyone else?

Curious how the threat of a deadly disease is less compelling than a fine?

The border will be closed until the end of September. Two thumbs up.

Greetings,
Mr. X. Canadians are much too nice. Said vessels, IF they are interlopers, might be politely asked to leave with no consequences. On the other hand, IF said vessels were forfeited and the occupants put in irons and brought to the border and thrown out, this would indeed send a "message". Probably only have to happen once or twice and word would get around AND it would add much needed $$ (sale of forfeited vessel(s)) to the Canadian coffers.

iu

If, if and buts, we’re candy and nuts, we will all have a Merry Christmas. Don Meriden from the past. So much speculation, so little fact.

So much speculation, so little fact.
:ermm: You're speculating. :rolleyes:

But since we are at it, let’s speculate this; a vessel from Austin TX, according to the transom, or maybe OR according to bow numbers, is flying a full size Canadian flag from the stern.

That vessel enters an isolated anchorage, transmitting AIS, stays two nights, occupants duck inside when others pass and departs at 6am with AIS turned off.

But since we are at it, let’s speculate this; a vessel from Austin TX, according to the transom, or maybe OR according to bow numbers, is flying a full size Canadian flag from the stern.

That vessel enters an isolated anchorage, transmitting AIS, stays two nights, occupants duck inside when others pass and departs at 6am with AIS turned off.

Soin2la, I'm curious if the Cordero restaurant is operating this season, right across the channel from where these boats were. Maybe that's why they were there instead of Blind Channel, with its many more boats and higher level of scrutiny for Americans.

Little off topic::offtopic:

Last year I saw a 70ft charter boat heading to Sitka with his AIS turned off so he would not have to report to VTS. AIS turned off on a lot of required vessels.

Soin2la, I'm curious if the Cordero restaurant is operating this season, right across the channel from where these boats were. Maybe that's why they were there instead of Blind Channel, with its many more boats and higher level of scrutiny for Americans.
Up until recently the restaurant was take out only but are now doing sit down dinner.

The rest would be speculating.:D

Soin2la-

I think you have too much time on your hands. I’ve been fascinated by your obsession and suspicion with American boats for months now. And you’re not the only one.

I took my boat to BC on March 7 this year, and decided to stay when the border closed. I stayed until the end of July when I returned to the US for family reasons.

First, I have a 48 foot LOA boat and no AIS. My anecdotal experience is that this is very common amongst boats of my size class. Your assumption that every 40+ foot boat not transmitting AIS has turned off the AIS to hide is absurd.

Second, just because an American boater goes “off the beaten path” for a few nights doesn’t mean that s/he is hiding. It probably means that the boater is enjoying one of BC’s incredible hidden coves.

Third, flags. We took down our American flag sometime in June - mainly because of weird looks we were receiving from people like you. Shortly thereafter, we lowered the Canadian courtesy flag. We did our best to introduce ourselves to fellow boaters we shared small anchorages with to alleviate any concern.

Fourth, Canadians were almost unfailingly welcoming and sympathetic, but not always. We spent a couple days in a one boat cove off of Phillips Arm north of Shoal Bay. One morning, a very nice converted fishing trawler came in and just stared at us from about 200’. I did my best to wave and yelled good morning, but I got nothing but stares. The guy left and a couple hours later one of those huge 65+ RCMP power cats arrived - in the middle of nowhere! - to check us out. I can’t even begin to imagine how many 1,000s of dollars in operating costs and manpower were invested in that effort. If that Canadian who was ticked off we were in his anchorage had had the common sense and common courtesy to check in with us, that whole exercise could have been avoided.

I have heard the stories about Americans taking advantage of the WA to AK exemption, and no doubt some of them are true. But your weird determination to assume that all Americans are interlopers is just that: weird. Give it a break.

And, by the way, I DO support the border closure. I’ll be back into BC as soon as it’s legal - but NOT before - like 99.99% of American boaters. We’ll see you then!

:facepalm: But you yanks all carry guns. Now y'all carry the plague. Our laws must be changed.
:hide:
Hope this insanity ends soon. Anyone know of any boater that has tested positive?

There are no restrictions on US flagged vessels other than the usual. The restrictions as they may apply are on the crew and transiting to AK. The restrictions are being well observed according to CBP. Plenty of dual citizens have US flagged vessels.

Common sense on both sides of the border seems in place, but silliness and ignorance is rife particularly on the internet.

Soin2la-

The guy left and a couple hours later one of those huge 65+ RCMP power cats arrived - in the middle of nowhere! - to check us out.

Oh come on!!!! Leave us hanging like that! What happened in the encounter?

weird. Give it a break.
Sorry Kawini, your rant is pretty much what you are accusing me of, so I won’t waste my breath except on this bit:
We spent a couple days in a one boat cove off of Phillips Arm north of Shoal Bay. One morning, a very nice converted fishing trawler came in and just stared at us from about 200’. I did my best to wave and yelled good morning, but I got nothing but stares. The guy left and a couple hours later one of those huge 65+ RCMP power cats arrived - in the middle of nowhere! - to check us out. I can’t even begin to imagine how many 1,000s of dollars in operating costs and manpower were invested in that effort. If that Canadian who was ticked off we were in his anchorage had had the common sense and common courtesy to check in with us, that whole exercise could have been avoided.
1-That weird Canadian is supposed to believe whatever you told him, for why?
2-The local authorities, including the RCMP advise to not engage but instead, report suspicious activity.
3-There were no “1,000s of dollars” wasted or extra cost to the taxpayers by that visit from the RCMP boat.

Sunchaser, CBP has no authority in Canada.

You guys are pussyfooting. Here in Australia, if a boat arrives from Victoria State(aka "The State of Contagion") in an adjacent State,they get arrested, put in quarantine, and their fate thereafter, like being booted home, is considered. While it`s understandable people are fleeing Victoria, like parts of USA, the risk of spreading contagion is too great. Time to "go the boot"!
I was nervous when the 2 guys brought my boat up from Victoria before things got bad, especially down there. Figured they`d been at sea 8 days, looked well, put them in the back seat with the rear ac vents on, and drove to the airport, all was well.

You guys are pussyfooting...contagion is too great. Time to "go the boot"!
:thumb:
It’s the rationalization that is hard to take.

Entitlement often overrules empathy and many patriots on here would feel quite differently if the situation were reversed. In fact, not long ago the US protectionists declared Canada a threat to national security over steel.

This is our yard and travelling “off the beaten path” delivers an undue risk to our people, which we are just not comfortable with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom