MD DNR “no recreational boating allowed”

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sir, closing the waterways is not acreasonable order in my opinion. You see, I live aboard in a marina. If we were to go out for a few dayscand anchor in some remote l9cation with absolutely no contact with otherscwecwiould actually be doing less potential harm than by staying tied up and using the laindry and bathroom facilities. Wihy is this such a difficult cl9ncept for some to understand.
All of this extraordinary effort to evade a reasonable order to protect our entire population is why we will have deaths in the millions, not a couple of hundred thousands. Since everyone else also obviously knows better than epidemiologists and public health professionals how to protect all of us they too will be ignoring any public health regulations that cause the slightest inconvenience or alteration in daily routine. The end result is that the virus will continue to spread and propagate unchecked and will kill many, many more of us than if we actually followed common sense regulations.

Great, the nation thanks all of you for exercising your right to do whatever you damn well feel like doing and to hell with anyone else.

Your grandparents and your parents fought and won two world wars, today all the nation asks is that you stay home for a while. But I guess that’s too much bother.....

Yet, the marina in which I live aboa4d is closed. Their choice I guess.

You did not answer my question. Can the massage parlors and brothels remain open?

Last edited:
My concern is the most or all of the season will be forbidden by the Maryland State governor. Now is when we start getting ready for launch but our marina is closed. Locking everyone in (While Philadelphia let's all its prisoners out). Will not make the virus go away only slow down its propagation a little. Even with tested vaccines the Polio virus is still with us and kills thousands ever year in America. So how is covid going to be of no concern in x number of months?
I hope 2020 is not the year they shut the Chesapeake down.
Polio is something I know about personally. I spent six months in a hospital at age four fully parylized for weeks. Polio is virtually non-existent in the US and has been that way for decades. You assertion is nonsense.

Mayor of JAX today announced a stay at home directive. At the end of his communication he finished with "all city boat ramps will remain open!"

Hey, ever hear of Florida Man?

Greetings,
Mr. ASD. Still an erosion of the Constitution IMO. 4th Amendment Rights. My point is, the Constitution has been "bent" to suit the times in the past. A little bit of research on your part will substantiate that.

I'm really not up on my US Constitution but the current closures, restrictions and such most probably trash more than one Amendment but to what end? Evidently to save lives and start a recovery as soon as possible.

"He who would trade liberty for some temporary security, deserves neither liberty nor security." You can quote Ben Franklin all you want but the virus can't vote.

Reactions: GFC
You did not answer my question. Can the massage parlors and brothels remain open?

Ok Dan I’ll bite. There are none in MD, Gov Hogan had them all closed right after he took office.[emoji4]

Polio is something I know about personally. I spent six months in a hospital at age four fully parylized for weeks. Polio is virtually non-existent in the US and has been that way for decades. You assertion is nonsense.

Jack, I am happy you have been able to overcome your bout with polio.

Jax boat ramps might be open....but FL goes under a stay at home order stating Fri AM. But you can go hunting or fishing.....:facepalm:

Jax boat ramps might be open....but FL goes under a stay at home order stating Fri AM. But you can go hunting or fishing.....:facepalm:

Yep, same as going to Publix, to get food!

Plus the boat is legally a second home.

Actually, all joking aside, in our case we home dock so we provision and step onto the boat, head out to the anchorage and truly isolate.

I’m going to test law enforcement. I’m going out fishing on my 18’ runabout here in Oregon. I’ll be alone and I’m sure the Sheriff has better things to do. I drive right by the Coast Guard but I’m sure they have better things to do.

...I am sure there are more "facts" that have changed God along the way.

There are no "facts" the prove or demonstrate the existence of God. Therefore, there are unlikely to be "'facts' that have changed God along the way."

There are no "facts" the prove or demonstrate the existence of God. Therefore, there are unlikely to be "'facts' that have changed God along the way."

And again you missed the point.

And his definition of God.

My concern is the most or all of the season will be forbidden by the Maryland State governor. Now is when we start getting ready for launch but our marina is closed. Locking everyone in (While Philadelphia let's all its prisoners out). Will not make the virus go away only slow down its propagation a little. Even with tested vaccines the Polio virus is still with us and kills thousands ever year in America. So how is covid going to be of no concern in x number of months?
I hope 2020 is not the year they shut the Chesapeake down.

You are obviously quite misinformed or a deliberate troll.
Your statement is so untrue as to not require a serious response.

Well Pete thank you for your service.

However an "executive Order" is not a law. Only the legislature can enact a law, then the Governor or President signs it.

I understand the virus and the danger of it. N1H1 was probably around when you were a nurse. We didn't shut down the country for that. 3603 deaths so far in the U.S. for the Coronavirus. Will climb higher.

2018-2019 flu season saw 61,200 deaths. So far it would seem the common flu kills more, as of now.

It amazes me how folks are willing to throw away their Constitutional rights and liberties. The U.S. Constitution is absolute. It is either wrong or right. There is no in between.
What I see is not folks throwing away their rights but their elected officials trying to
act quickly enough to save lives so the survivors will be around to vote next time.
Some might call it overreaching but I would call it doing their job(s).

Last edited:
Reactions: GFC
200.webp

All of this extraordinary effort to evade a reasonable order to protect our entire population is why we will have deaths in the millions, not a couple of hundred thousands. Since everyone else also obviously knows better than epidemiologists and public health professionals how to protect all of us they too will be ignoring any public health regulations that cause the slightest inconvenience or alteration in daily routine. The end result is that the virus will continue to spread and propagate unchecked and will kill many, many more of us than if we actually followed common sense regulations.

Great, the nation thanks all of you for exercising your right to do whatever you damn well feel like doing and to hell with anyone else.

Your grandparents and your parents fought and won two world wars, today all the nation asks is that you stay home for a while. But I guess that’s too much bother.....

Oh come on.. reread what you wrote.. how in the world can a couple out by themselves, anchored out possibly harm ANYONE else?
I am all for social distancing and no gatherings ect, but someone out in their boat , not marina hopping cannot get close enough to sneeze on a stranger. This is the kind of shoot from the hip ( and with eyes closed) regulation that adds nothing to helping the virus spread.
HOLLYWOOD

The problem with the "closures and stay at home orders" are the things that are considered "essential" in Washington state. Most commercial and residential construction that may have a solo or very small crew is closed yet the construction of the new pro hockey arena is considered essential and has 100's of workers.. Dental offices ( where the staff treats every surface as it has Aids, flu, hepatitis, or any number of things that make you sick) are closed but the pot shops are "essential".

HOLLYWOOD

What I see is not folks throwing away their rights but their elected officials trying to
act quickly enough to save lives so the survivors will be around to vote next time.
Some might call it overreaching but I would call it doing their job(s).

+1.

I think that the making of laws should be confined to those acts which, in and of themselves, are of a criminal nature. Significant risk to public health certainly qualifies, however, when there are already prohibitions and guidelines on the specific risky behaviors/activities I don't see that a broad prohibition of recreational boating is necessarily appropriate. But there are some sensible reasons, like keeping all available resources freed up, not having to rescue sick, injured or broke down boaters. And, all government is caught with their pants down, we all are. And there definitely is going to be a broad attitude that if I can't do the things I want to you shouldn't be able to either. So, those of us who happen to be able to probably should keep a low profile about it.

...Brazil's president said that his people were uniquely resistant to the coronavirus because they "can be dunked in sewage and not get anything". Apparently, they do get a bit upset...

Can the brothels and massage parlors remain open?

I think it would depend on your definition of social distancing.

- 6 feet between people, the answer would be NO! :nonono:

- groups less than 10, then MAYBE! :flowers:

Jim

p.s. I think we need to keep in mind that 'recreational boating' for most people is not a 40 - 50 trawler. It is usually much, much, smaller boats were people are likely to come into contact with other people. In the original post, we are talking about a dingy.

Greetings,
Mr. JLD. "It is usually much, much, smaller boats..." I think that is the crux of the problem. OP in a dinghy AND the smaller boat crowd seeing the "big" boats out and about and saying "Hey, why can't I do that?"
Like a number of laws meant to curb the stupids, the smarts have to abide as well.

Last edited:
Okay, I have a 34/36 ft boat. To adhere to the 50ft rule, if I rescue boaters in distress, I have but 3 options....
1. launch the RIB and put it on a minimum of a 50ft tow line?
or perhaps
2. tow those in distress as they hold onto a 50 ft line, of course I shall require they wear their PFDs.
3. launch the auto inflation rescue raft and stand by for the USCG to come get them and of course they must wear their PFDs

Of course each of the 3 option ..... calling the USCG

Last edited:
Governors (who may or may not be boaters) are being advised by health experts (who may or may not be boaters) about how to cope with a pandemic that may be the greatest mass health and economic threat of our lifetime. There’s not a perfect blueprint for this.

I do believe some of the restrictions are inconsistent and (in the OP’s example) asinine. But I’m willing to give the officials who are honestly trying to grapple with this unprecedented crisis some slack. Of all the urgent things they’ve got to worry about, me having a nice day out on the water shouldn’t be among them. Now, the governors and other officials who have been in denial about the seriousness of Covid 19 and who then over-react to compensate . . . them I’ve got a problem with.

I do believe some of the restrictions are inconsistent and (in the OP’s example) asinine. But I’m willing to give the officials who are honestly trying to grapple with this unprecedented crisis some slack. Of all the urgent things they’ve got to worry about, me having a nice day out on the water shouldn’t be among them. Now, the governors and other officials who have been in denial about the seriousness of Covid 19 and who then over-react to compensate . . . them I’ve got a problem with.

Ditto. I was as outraged as anyone here when I first heard about this. Why should they care if I'm out in a boat, away from everyone!

But in the context of a total, state-wide shut-down, lock-down, stay-at-home, or whatever they're calling it, it' starts to make sense. The message has to be simple.

So they say don't leave the house. Not to go to the beach, the park, or the boat ramp. Not to get gas, parts or supplies for boating outings.

Remember, when you say "boat" the folks in most state capitals think of 14-18 foot runabouts filled with teenagers partying. Cruisers, transients and live-aboards aren't even considered.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom