MD DNR “no recreational boating allowed”

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's always amazed me how illogical the priorities of Maryland's policy makers and the governor's office are when it comes to boating. They can harrass a solo boater in a dinghy minding his own business, and yet they let hundreds (maybe a thousand) of boaters operate DWI in the inland waterways of Ocean City every weekend during the summer. Guess they can't appear to be harassing tourists spending retail sales tax dollars in the state.

Ted

Reactions: Pap
It's always amazed me how illogical the priorities of Maryland's policy makers and the governor's office are when it comes to boating. They can harrass a solo boater in a dinghy minding his own business, and yet they let hundreds (maybe a thousand) of boaters operate DWI in the inland waterways of Ocean City every weekend during the summer. Guess they can't appear to be harassing tourists spending retail sales tax dollars in the state.

Ted

And it appears I can’t go for a boat ride with my wife whom I live with but I can still go on a fishing charter with up to nine strangers.

John

https://news.maryland.gov/dnr/2020/...ons-about-governor-hogans-stay-at-home-order/

John, "Just looking for direction on these issues."

One way to find out is to take your ticket along with the State and DNR interpretation to court...

Alas, first you must remain in quarantine before setting a foot on shore.
"oh what a tangled web we weave...."

It may come to that.

John
The Federal Govt can still the Gov to "pound sand" if they want to.

Psneeld tell us the names of those 10 counties so the state knows where to ship the misguided NYers. LOL

Last edited:
So today I’m going to engage in “limited recreational fishing for sustenance”. I bought my license online for $15. This should be in full compliance with the order. While I’d prefer to argue logic and common sense, it just seems easier to play their stupid game and drag a line in the water while on dingy.

I will report back.

As with any 'law' the LEO needs to use common sense and good judgement. Something in short supply everywhere these days. Md. State Police issued guidelines on someone found on the roads. They will not pull over randomly just to see if in violation of the stay at home order.
Marinas and boatyards can stay open. They are considered 'essential' services.
Fishing for food is allowed.
Just hang a line over the side if you must.

We talked about going for a small cruise around the bay to isolate since we are both not working right now. Glad we didn’t, as we would be stuck wherever our last night would have been.....total BS

We talked about going for a small cruise around the bay to isolate since we are both not working right now. Glad we didn’t, as we would be stuck wherever our last night would have been.....total BS

Wife’s currently working remotely and we were/are planning to isolate the same way.

John

All of this extraordinary effort to evade a reasonable order to protect our entire population is why we will have deaths in the millions, not a couple of hundred thousands. Since everyone else also obviously knows better than epidemiologists and public health professionals how to protect all of us they too will be ignoring any public health regulations that cause the slightest inconvenience or alteration in daily routine. The end result is that the virus will continue to spread and propagate unchecked and will kill many, many more of us than if we actually followed common sense regulations.

Great, the nation thanks all of you for exercising your right to do whatever you damn well feel like doing and to hell with anyone else.

Your grandparents and your parents fought and won two world wars, today all the nation asks is that you stay home for a while. But I guess that’s too much bother.....

They have closed most of the public boat launches here in Washington, as well as all the State parks/trails. And all fishing... Come April 8th when lowland trout should open a few of us who have all of the parking permits, boat tabs, trailer tabs, fishing licenses, truck tabs, proper insurance and everything else are still going fishing. The only people on my boat will be the same two that are in lock down with me at the house.

They have closed most of the public boat launches here in Washington, as well as all the State parks/trails. And all fishing... Come April 8th when lowland trout should open a few of us who have all of the parking permits, boat tabs, trailer tabs, fishing licenses, truck tabs, proper insurance and everything else are still going fishing. The only people on my boat will be the same two that are in lock down with me at the house.

So you and your crowd will dare to break quarantine to run to your boat and go fishing?? For shame, for shame. I'm telling your mother. CHUKLE

Hook lots of those critters. WINK

All of this extraordinary effort to evade a reasonable order to protect our entire population is why we will have deaths in the millions, not a couple of hundred thousands. Since everyone else also obviously knows better than epidemiologists and public health professionals how to protect all of us they too will be ignoring any public health regulations that cause the slightest inconvenience or alteration in daily routine. The end result is that the virus will continue to spread and propagate unchecked and will kill many, many more of us than if we actually followed common sense regulations.

Great, the nation thanks all of you for exercising your right to do whatever you damn well feel like doing and to hell with anyone else.

Your grandparents and your parents fought and won two world wars, today all the nation asks is that you stay home for a while. But I guess that’s too much bother.....

Following your convoluted logic, I guess nobody should be allowed to go to the grocery store or the hospital if they have a heart attack.

There is a need for safe distancing to prevent the spread, not solitary confinement.

Ted

The regulations pertaining to the pandemic must have some common sense involved in enforcement. I completely agree with social distancing. I agree that in congested areas it may mean staying indoors. If you are holding a party with 40 people in close quarters I agree. However, there are large sections of our country that are rural or semi-rural. I fail to see how a single boater with a crab trap poses a threat to our health.

I’m going fishing tomorrow. I will be by myself and will be catching for me. Explain how I am a threat to others health? BTW, I may bring my 125 lb guard dog to ensure social distancing.

This all sounds like "Marshall Law" without actually declaring Marshall Law. Unbelievable.

While I recognize this is an emergency, I am greatly concerned about the apparent ease with which State and Local 'officials' are sweeping constitutional rights away. Some of the restrictions, such as this, have no apparent benefit to managing the crisis. It appears mostly to be a control function: we are restricting you because we can. I would have though they should be happy if people were willing self isolate on a boat, its perfect.

While I recognize this is an emergency, I am greatly concerned about the apparent ease with which State and Local 'officials' are sweeping constitutional rights away. Some of the restrictions, such as this, have no apparent benefit to managing the crisis. It appears mostly to be a control function: we are restricting you because we can. I would have though they should be happy if people were willing self isolate on a boat, its perfect.

I agree. The State Governments over reach by restricting interstate travel is clearly unconstitutional.

Following your convoluted logic, I guess nobody should be allowed to go to the grocery store or the hospital if they have a heart attack.

There is a need for safe distancing to prevent the spread, not solitary confinement.

Ted

Both those circumstances are permitted under the shutdown regulations.

What is convoluted about an epidemic that will soon kill a minimum of 100,000 of your fellow Americans in the next couple of months and simple, basic public health responses that have been proven to work over hundreds of years?

Greetings,
Unconstitutional? Ever been through a TSA check at an airport?

With all due respect RT it’s an apple to orange comparison. When I go to an airport to fly commercial I go through security to protect the others who are also flying on a regulated common carrier.

When I go to Capital City Airport to fly in my 172 I park my Jeep, walk to my plane and go flying.

John

Ted

I just got back from the grocery store..... If there is any doubt about food shortages and rationing.... we are experiencing it now.... They are still out of many staples and limited quantities of other items.... max purchase 1 or 2 cans of this and that..... It appears I will have to visit a couple of grocery stores so I can get my usual church donation of 15 hams, potatoes, yams, baked beans and etc in time for Easter. I have pretty much given up on getting dinner rolls.

Grocery store stock has been gradually improving again up here. Seems like once the initial wave of buying happened and then they started limiting quantities of certain items, they're able to keep up with stocking now.

TF is probably not an appropriate forum for this discussion. However a boating restriction very clearly has no health benefit, other than completely isolating those individuals on the boat, arguably a good thing. I'd be far more comfortable if they said you boat at your own risk (don't count on the USCG, Sheriff, or BoatUS tow service).
By the way, existence of a regulation in no way implies that regulation is constitutional, however it is 'legal' until challenged and adjudicated.

I am not disregarding guidelines in any way.

I am NOT doing what I dang well please except voicing my opinion that there is ANOTHER OPINION of how this thing is going down that's NOT what some think.

There are places where there is little to no human contact and still low numbers of virus. As long as the contact remains almost nil....martial law is not necessary.

If it were that important here....they would be nailing doors shut in most every densely populated area first.... Around my area, Saturday they are finally recommending a stay at home situation but it isn't as strict as some places that are harder hit.

For anyone who thinks they have the right answer....there will be Monday morning quarterbacking out the wazoo for decades...and ethical discussions ad nauseum. I doubt a "right answer/method/pathway/etc" will every be determined.

I am not trying to convince anyone, just suggest that there are smart people out there that have other ideas.

My concern is the most or all of the season will be forbidden by the Maryland State governor. Now is when we start getting ready for launch but our marina is closed. Locking everyone in (While Philadelphia let's all its prisoners out). Will not make the virus go away only slow down its propagation a little. Even with tested vaccines the Polio virus is still with us and kills thousands ever year in America. So how is covid going to be of no concern in x number of months?
I hope 2020 is not the year they shut the Chesapeake down.

As far as boat at your own risk....hmmmm....that gets a bit technical.

As a guy who was assisting people on the water for a long time....coming to get you in trouble is probably going to be a mess. Not coming is inhumane...and coming is maybe a bit unfair to "marine first responders" who are probably not being supplied with the proper gear or training or decontamination setups to handle it. It's going to where it's needed most.

To respond or not to respond....yep trouble either way I see it.

....just something to think about.

While I sit here isolated for the greater good, marina management has seen fit to allow the boat a few slips down to have 3 guys from an outside contractor begin to detail it. Outside germs now putting 40+ liveaboards in isolation at risk when they go for the laundry or heads. Hmmm

Marinas closed, no fishing..... Why has he not shut down all the hotels and motels?
Ah, they have active lobbyists? Choking off the tourist and convention trade? Oh wait, your convention crowd is limited tp 10 people and 6 ft apart? Not much of convention, eh?

The governor of Florida just issued a stay at home order. No details yet but does not make me happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom