Closed Thread

Old 04-19-2020, 06:44 AM   #1
Guru

Marinas allowed to open in CT,NY, NJ

(WFSB) - Governor Ned Lamont, New York Governor Andrew Cuomo, and New Jersey Governor Phil Murphy announced Saturday night that marinas, boatyards and marine manufacturers in their states will be allowed to open for personal use.
The governors said personal use will be allowed as long as social distancing and sanitization protocols are followed.

This was just announced late yesterday. Personally I think it's a bit premature.

New Port Richey,Fl
Old 04-19-2020, 08:43 AM   #2
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by jleonard View Post
(WFSB) - Governor Ned Lamont, New York Governor Andrew Cuomo, and New Jersey Governor Phil Murphy announced Saturday night that marinas, boatyards and marine manufacturers in their states will be allowed to open for personal use.
The governors said personal use will be allowed as long as social distancing and sanitization protocols are followed.

This was just announced late yesterday. Personally I think it's a bit premature.
Jay
Good news for many and for those who disagree staying home is an option too.
Old 04-19-2020, 08:52 AM   #3
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. jl. I agree and therein lies the conundrum. Many comments have and will be made regarding the various procedures that have been and will be put in place. What's appropriate for what situations. Who is following the new "rules", why you should, shouldn't or can't/won't and, and, and...

WAY, WAY too many unknowns IMO. Even the so called official information changes, sometimes hourly, to be of much use.

Couple that with ever increasing frustration at being cooped up and vocalization of same and you have governments caving to demands for less restriction(s).
Old 04-19-2020, 09:54 AM   #4
TF Site Team

City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
This one of those cases where some (uncommon) common sense goes a long way.
Being in NY I'm not interested / ready to go hang out at the marina (snow covered here yesterday). I am thinking and hoping that at least in the near future to be able to get to the yard where we store, get uncovered and start to do some cleaning, waxing & spring commissioning jobs. This entails either me alone or wife & I around our boat outdoors. I'd think that even if my yard neighbor was present we could agree to work on opposite sides of our boats.
Other pc of info is we are nowhere near NYC - we are 250 away in rural area.
Old 04-19-2020, 10:21 AM   #5
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. B. I admit, less chance of contamination but that's YOU. YOU know the score and the implications but MY concern is TGMU (The Great Mass of the Unwashed). That, my friend, IS the problem.
Old 04-19-2020, 10:30 AM   #6
Guru

Right now our summer slip marina has set some of their own policies.

You can work on your boat starting next week as long as you let the marina know you'll be there.
You cannot park your car in their yard, you must park in the street
and walk in.
You cannot use the restrooms or go into any of their buildings.
If you work on your boat and want the marina to do some work on your boat they won't touch it for 72 hours.

Some of the above just doesn't make sense to me. (like why can't you park on their property) I'm guessing other marinas have different policies right now.

We have pushed our normal trek north back a couple of weeks into June. I'm hopeful that some of this BS get straightened out by then.

New Port Richey,Fl
Old 04-19-2020, 10:33 AM   #7
Guru

Quote:
TGMU
This is a good one. LOL

New Port Richey,Fl
Old 04-19-2020, 10:39 AM   #8
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
With responsible people, no problem. However, have you seen the photos of Jacksonville beaches from yesterday? That tells you the reality just as spring break did a month ago. And ultimately, the responsible are victimized by the irresponsible.

If everyone would just do the right thing, we'd need no laws, no rules. However, even with laws we still have reckless driving and murder and people refusing to distance. As someone losing large amounts of money every week we're closed, I still would prefer staying closed perhaps longer than absolutely necessary to the alternative of reopening and then seeing a rise in cases. The thought of reopening when deaths are not yet on the downside really scares me. Yesterday there were 1867 deaths in the US. That's a rate of 56,000 per month. At that rate we would double current death numbers in three weeks.

I see Texas loosening restrictions at a time that Dallas County had their worst day of new cases and their worst week of deaths.

If we reopen prematurely then the closures will have been for nothing. It takes very little to undo any progress.

I don't think the opening of marinas will have a huge adverse effect. Don't oppose it strongly. Just worried about the clamoring for opening and those giving in to those sentiments around the country.
Old 04-19-2020, 10:43 AM   #9
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
Jay
Good news for many and for those who disagree staying home is an option too.
I totally agree. Still don't want to wonder downtown or to your boat in the marina, by all means self quarantine is still an option for you, not forced on others.
Old 04-19-2020, 11:06 AM   #10
Guru

Our yacht club marina has remained open, but San Diego Bay is closed to recreational boating, for some unfathonable reason. Can fish get the virus?
Old 04-19-2020, 11:31 AM   #11
Guru

City: Trenton
I work under shrink wrap and don't let anyone else work on my boat. I'll be working on it starting Wednesday. Its a late start but better than never.

I have all this time and money on my hands as my European vacation had to be cancelled. Perhaps I'll get a/c this year after all.
Old 04-19-2020, 01:23 PM   #12
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: Alzero
Vessel Model: Hatteras 63' CPMY
Quote:
Originally Posted by ancora View Post
She is allowing sailboats because sailboats do not use fuel, thus there will be no interaction at fuel docks.
I guess itís different there than on the ICW where sailboats motor as much as powerboats, but have smaller fuel tanks. You donít see any powerboats with a 1/2 dozen 5-gal fuel cans strapped to the rail like you do sailboats.
Old 04-20-2020, 07:22 AM   #13
Curmudgeon

City: Stoney Creek, MD
Vessel Name: Moon Dance
Vessel Model: 1974 34' Marine Trader Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
And ultimately, the responsible are victimized by the irresponsible.

And that, right there, is the problem with many more issues than just this virus.
Old 04-20-2020, 09:39 AM   #14
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
The boatyard I use in Maryland has been open all along as deemed essential to essential workers (watermen). They're serious about social distancing and it hasn't been an issue. BTW, they're making money and so are their employees.

Regarding social distancing: And exactly how long did you expect the average American to follow theses rules?

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
Old 04-20-2020, 10:01 AM   #15

City: PNW
Vessel Name: Mighty Fine
Vessel Model: Kingfisher 3125GFX
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
With responsible people, no problem. However, have you seen the photos of Jacksonville beaches from yesterday? That tells you the reality just as spring break did a month ago. And ultimately, the responsible are victimized by the irresponsible.

If everyone would just do the right thing, we'd need no laws, no rules. However, even with laws we still have reckless driving and murder and people refusing to distance. As someone losing large amounts of money every week we're closed, I still would prefer staying closed perhaps longer than absolutely necessary to the alternative of reopening and then seeing a rise in cases. The thought of reopening when deaths are not yet on the downside really scares me. Yesterday there were 1867 deaths in the US. That's a rate of 56,000 per month. At that rate we would double current death numbers in three weeks.

I see Texas loosening restrictions at a time that Dallas County had their worst day of new cases and their worst week of deaths.

If we reopen prematurely then the closures will have been for nothing. It takes very little to undo any progress.

I don't think the opening of marinas will have a huge adverse effect. Don't oppose it strongly. Just worried about the clamoring for opening and those giving in to those sentiments around the country.
As a former business owner I know how much it can weigh on you to have the responsibility of running a viable business that supports workers and their families. This is why I think the choices you are making are not only smart, but courageous.
Old 04-20-2020, 10:57 AM   #16
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
More info! Good luck for those in these areas!!!

https://www.tradeonlytoday.com/indus...ource=hs_email
Old 04-20-2020, 12:00 PM   #17
Guru

City: US PNW
Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post

Regarding social distancing: And exactly how long did you expect the average American to follow theses rules?

Ted
A day or two at best.
Closed Thread