The invasion of BC has begun

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Does that have something to do with my post?

If you can't get the pre-arrival test and result, you can't cross.
well your post 29 after 28 which item 2 says you need the test. Maybe I misunderstood and you were replying to someone else

We did just as we headed north, with the exception of a COVID test no older than 72 hours old. Got the test done at the ferry terminal in K-Town.

So here is what they require for Transient Thu:

Float Plan
ArriveCAN #
COVID test.

Good to go.

We did just as we headed north, with the exception of a COVID test no older than 72 hours old. Got the test done at the ferry terminal in K-Town.

Float Plan
ArriveCAN #
COVID test.

Good to go.

So, you are not stopping to enjoy BC on the way then?

So, you are not stopping to enjoy BC on the way then?

Oh man! A passage without a mocha at Cowpuccino, Nanaimo bar at Mon Petit Choux and sausage rolls at Barbs Buns? Unthinkable!

Last edited:
Oh man! A passage without a mocha at Cowpuccino, Nanaimo bar at Mon Petit Choux and sausage rolls at Barbs Buns? Unthinkable!

Ever hit the Burger Barn at Sointula on Malcolm Island? You will add it to your list, Bill. :thumb:

We considered going but getting the test seems to be a hurdle. Also I was worried about mass confusion at the border. Lastly the fact the US isn't reciprocating bothers me. Is the US going to demand another Covid test to get back in? If so how? I think I'll wait until next year since it still sounds uncertain and confusing.

I also think it's unfortunate that the US doesn't return the favor, we essentially encourage people to cross the southern border even if sick, but reject Canadians who aren't sick. Go figure, but it's just plain rude in my view. Many Canadians have property in the US.

Last edited:
I've not located a pcr provider in SJC nor Anacortes. There may be a Walgreens in Bellingham and a Rite aid in Mt Vernon that will test asymptomatic people and provide results in 24 hrs. I'd appreciate names of any other providers in the area who will administer pcrs for travel purposes.

Jim Blair in port townsend does travel testing

https://northstar-clinic.com/

Hollywood

Canada customs continues to let US boats “transit through” with no proof of vaccine for those on board as has been the case for 2021. Whether this continues remains in the hands of Canada Customs. As I mentioned, it is confusing. That said, the customs group in Prince Rupert is interpreting the Rules quite logically based on current feedback.

Last edited by a moderator:
sunchaser said:
“Fully vaccinated” is a better term than one jabber.

Sorry, I still don't get your point. Is it too difficult for the US to require Canadians to provide proof of being fully vaccinated and have the 72 hour PCR test in hand?

Canada considers those with 2 doses of AZ to be fully vaccinated, those with one moderna, one Phizer to be fully vaccinated.
However the US does not look at it that way at the moment.
I have mixed feelings about this one way border opening.

Last edited by a moderator:
well your post 29 after 28 which item 2 says you need the test. Maybe I misunderstood and you were replying to someone else

In a land or air based arrival there are TWO tests needed: a pre-travel test taken within 72 hours AND an arrival test given at the border. In a recreational marine arrival the second test is omitted from the description of requirements. That is a material difference. It was not clear to me how that second test was going to happen in some of the small ports of entry. Not clear to them either I guess as it has been omitted.

Still hard to find a test facility that isn't currently flooded for the pre-travel test.

Float Plan
ArriveCAN #
COVID test.

Good to go.
Question: What is 'K-town'? Is that the Kinston terminal, if so they have testing? Just looking for where to test if we do decide to go. In my research I've not found testing in Anacortes unless you're symptomatic. Also has anyone come the other direction? What's needed to re-enter the US - if anything.

We considered going but getting the test seems to be a hurdle. Also I was worried about mass confusion at the border. Lastly the fact the US isn't reciprocating bothers me. Is the US going to demand another Covid test to get back in? If so how? I think I'll wait until next year since it still sounds uncertain and confusing.

Yeah, I’m going to have a vacation in a bit over a week. We decided to not try to make the attempt this year. If we had known a few weeks ago maybe, but I’ll have to put it off for another year.

Question: What is 'K-town'? Is that the Kinston terminal, if so they have testing? Just looking for where to test if we do decide to go. In my research I've not found testing in Anacortes unless you're symptomatic. Also has anyone come the other direction? What's needed to re-enter the US - if anything.

ASD is currently up in Alaska. My guess is that he is referring to Ketchikan AK

I drove from Anacortes to the Walgreens in Bellingham about a month ago to get the ID Now test for entry into Honolulu. After the swabs I drove back to Anacortes, which doesn't take long, and had the results on my phone when I arrived.

K-town is Ketchikan. You can get tested at several locations in Anacortes (google) and at nearby Mt Vernon Rite-Aid.

I just checked (as I will be in the area in a few weeks myself and am doing my pre-trip research) and as a sample, almost all Skagit and Whatcom Walgreens locations have appointments available for tomorrow and Saturday though you may not get your ideal time slot. This is for the ID NOW rapid molecular test.

It doesn't appear to me that you can schedule an appointment more than two or three days into the future - at least with Walgreens.

The thread has strayed a few times outside the Covid rules. Topics should be directly related to boating and transit issues.

Thanks for understanding. :flowers:

If you do decide to cross and venture North, PLEASE be respectful of the local communities including those in Desolation Sound. Having just come back from 6 weeks in the area I can tell you that some marinas and stores are still asking that you wear a mask and sanitize your hands.
These folks are struggling with inventory and a lack of available employees. Everyone is trying to do what they can to make the best of this season but I hope everyone can be patient and helpful.
Just my 2 cents!

If you do decide to cross and venture North, PLEASE be respectful of the local communities including those in Desolation Sound. Having just come back from 6 weeks in the area I can tell you that some marinas and stores are still asking that you wear a mask and sanitize your hands.
These folks are struggling with inventory and a lack of available employees. Everyone is trying to do what they can to make the best of this season but I hope everyone can be patient and helpful.
Just my 2 cents!

:thumb::thumb:

Thank you.
This from Tourism Vancouver Island says it better than you or I can.

https://youtu.be/9KYFQgXdFhE

Yeah, I’m going to have a vacation in a bit over a week. We decided to not try to make the attempt this year. If we had known a few weeks ago maybe, but I’ll have to put it off for another year.

Yup. Me too. Back in Tacoma.

Ketchikan Alaska

Back
Top Bottom