Old 10-05-2021, 03:18 PM   #161
Scraping Paint

City: Lake Stevens, WA via Honolulu
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Vessel Model: C-Dory 25
Nope. Pfizer efficacy drops to 47% from 88%, after 6 months.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/pfize...223000604.html

https://www.timesofisrael.com/data-a...fter-6-months/
localboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 03:24 PM   #162
Guru

City: West coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by localboy View Post
Yes, true, but that’s not what I said. I said “ Pfizer stops 90% infected from getting hospitalized or dying” - in other words severe cases.

Not getting the infection itself.
bowball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 03:44 PM   #163
Guru

City: Gulf Islands, BC Canada
Vessel Name: Sea Sanctuary
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4588
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
I think the change you are seeing may have more to do with the Delta variant's increased transmissibility than the borders being open. WA state has experienced a dramatic rise in COVID hospitalizations due to Delta and unfortunately low vaccination rates.
Dave, IMO the sudden increase is from open travel within and from outside our province. The increased average daily death rate is due to the harsher delta variant, of that there is no doubt.

BC now mandates masks for K-12 school children, legislation pondered to force health care and public workers to vaccinate.
I think the horse has left the barn and they have not figured out how to corral it yet. Close the borders IMO is the way to go.

Most at risk will now be offered 3rd shot. Some 100K identified, once they are done I am sure it will filter down to others. Once again BC Dr. Henry is fighting back.
SteveK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 04:02 PM   #164
Guru

I live in the lower mainland… I have seen only a few (2 cars) with WA plates.

All the Americans coming across the border are both vaccinated AND have a negative COVID test in hand. Yes, I see that case counts are going up, but I don’t see that they could be caused by travelers….
Spinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 04:32 PM   #165
Guru

City: Gulf Islands, BC Canada
Vessel Name: Sea Sanctuary
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4588
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinner View Post
I live in the lower mainland… I have seen only a few (2 cars) with WA plates.

All the Americans coming across the border are both vaccinated AND have a negative COVID test in hand. Yes, I see that case counts are going up, but I don’t see that they could be caused by travelers….
Sue, do you believe that only unvaccinated people can transmit the virus, I thought that idea was disproved long ago. In fact fully vaccinated are in hospital with covid, some dying. I suppose they could have infected one or two in a group before being diagnosed.

Since the border/travel openings restaurants no longer have only every other table service. All have no masks once seated, in effect saying that the virus floats at the standing level only.
Pubs are filling up again, as are other venues where many people gather since the opening of borders. It is an overall congregation of people outside the bubbles we kept prior to restrictions being lifted.

People from across borders by themselves are not the only reason, the opening signaled locals to relax their best practices thus causing the spike. So opening the border is responsible even if not directly.
SteveK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 05:31 PM   #166
Guru

You’re right, vaccinated people can transmit the virus, but they have to have had a negative Covid test within 72 hours of entering Canada. ‘Nuff said, back to boats!!
Spinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 10:54 PM   #167
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
NSW State in Australia will have a staged "opening up" from a 3 month plus lockdown, probably on October 11, at 70% eligible vaxxed, with further "opening up" at 80%, maybe 10days later on present vax rates. We are being warned that when we open up, infection numbers "will go through the roof"(?? actual increase). This suggests easing restrictions leads to higher infection numbers, which may very well be Canada`s situation. But, as the vaxxed % rises,with a lower deathrate. We look like getting to 90% eligible vaxxed rate,esp now we are vaxxing 12-15s.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 02:15 AM   #168
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
Might be worth just pointing out here that when the magic number of those vaccinated - wherever one lives - reached the percentage required for border opening and the freeing up of all restrictions, there will be a surge in cases.

However, the numbers of those contracting the virus and developing severe illness - or, worse still, dying with it - should continue to steadily trend downwards, because of the protection the vaccine gives, but also the decrease in transmissibility among those vaccinated, (estimated now to be about 25%), even if they experience breakthrough infection, which is usually mild.

The important thing, is those who declined or missed out on vaccinations will still get 'vaccinated', but the hard way, whether they like it or not, because sure as shooting, they'll be exposed, and will get it...eventually..! No escaping that sorry.
Old 10-06-2021, 01:20 PM   #169
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
Might be worth just pointing out here that when the magic number of those vaccinated - wherever one lives - reached the percentage required for border opening and the freeing up of all restrictions, there will be a surge in cases.

However, the numbers of those contracting the virus and developing severe illness - or, worse still, dying with it - should continue to steadily trend downwards, because of the protection the vaccine gives, but also the decrease in transmissibility among those vaccinated, (estimated now to be about 25%), even if they experience breakthrough infection, which is usually mild.

The important thing, is those who declined or missed out on vaccinations will still get 'vaccinated', but the hard way, whether they like it or not, because sure as shooting, they'll be exposed, and will get it...eventually..! No escaping that sorry.
Good post. When we came through Port McNeill a few days after the Canadian border was opened we were the only American boat at the dock. North Island Marina was full!!!..... with Canadians. No mask or social distancing etc.

Everyone was having a great time. No one had issues with the American at the dock. We were welcomed with smiles and a beer.

Still love Canada, some of the most friendly folks we know!
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 07:34 PM   #170
Guru

City: Nanaimo
Vessel Name: former owner of "Pilitak"
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37
Possibly related to pleasure boating....... I noticed that Alaska's reported Covid cases and hospitalizations have spiked upward dramatically since the end of June!
Is it possible that the influx of visitors and American boaters had an influence on this??? Probably very difficult to say for sure and/or prove, but an interesting observation none the less.
Tom,

Glad to hear that Port McNeill was doing well. I really like Bruce, Allan (Jackman), and the whole gang there. Great people who go out of their way to make everyone feel welcome. If they ever went out of business, that would be a huge loss to the entire Broughton area.
Old 10-06-2021, 08:14 PM   #171
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Quote:
Originally Posted by firehoser75 View Post
Possibly related to pleasure boating....... I noticed that Alaska's reported Covid cases and hospitalizations have spiked upward dramatically since the end of June!
Is it possible that the influx of visitors and American boaters had an influence on this??? Probably very difficult to say for sure and/or prove, but an interesting observation none the less.
Tom,

Glad to hear that Port McNeill was doing well. I really like Bruce, Allan (Jackman), and the whole gang there. Great people who go out of their way to make everyone feel welcome. If they ever went out of business, that would be a huge loss to the entire Broughton area.
Oh I agree . Allen and the crew are awesome..

I believe Alaska has had a spike, but that occurred in South Central i.e. Anchorage. Not sure about SEAK. I believe a lot of this will settle before next summer.

Already starting prep for next summer. Looking at a new generator, NL 9kw or 12kw.
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 10:30 PM   #172
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
We've been in BC for a month. Twice we entered Canada on the Arrive Canada App. To comply with entry restrictions it would be accurate to say that compliance pretty well precludes an infected person from entering Canada. Proof of vaccine and passing a 72 hour COVID was required.

Freedom of movement in BC was 100% with various venues and restaurants busy. People were careful and aware with good mask compliance. But, anti vaxers are there and from what I read represent a very high % of those hospitalized.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 05:11 PM   #173
Guru

City: LaConner
Vessel Model: 34' CHB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post

Are you actually saying that everyone WILL get Covid if not vaccinated? This runs contrary to everything I have read about it.
Further, not everyone that Does get it will even know, and more than a few depending on age group, general health etc., will have mild to no symptoms.
I think the threat is overblown.
On a happier note I see where a nasal spray vaccine is is being worked on and is showing promise.
78puget-trawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 12:13 AM   #174
Guru

City: Nanaimo
Vessel Name: former owner of "Pilitak"
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37
"78",
I don't want to put words into Peter's mouth but I think what he was referring to is the latest statements coming from various medical and health authorities, and that is, this pandemic will turn into an endemic situation and we will all eventually be exposed just like we are to the flu (vaccinated or not). The major difference is that Covid is much more infectious (contagious on the order of measles (almost)), has a much higher rate of serious complications (like hospitalizations and Long Covid), and a higher mortality rate (especially for the not vaccinated and/or those with co-morbidities).

Every decision has potential risks, and each has to decide what is best for them.

The border restrictions will probably be ongoing for a long time, therefore having an impact on boating, but let's hope not.
Old 10-31-2021, 12:27 AM   #175
Guru

City: LaConner
Vessel Model: 34' CHB
Thanks Tom!
78puget-trawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 12:32 AM   #176
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
Yes, that's exactly what I meant. Thanks Firehoser. Inevitably we will all have some exposure to the virus. How much it will affect each of us will vary, and yes, some people, especially the fit young, might hardly feel its passing at all, but the odd fit young - and not so young - person who contracts it will suffer, and some will die. However, we know that unhappy outcome will be much less likely in those fully vaccinated.

What is perhaps more positive is that each encounter people have with it - and its various strains - they will be having their immunity boosted and broadened by this natural process. Even those who were unvaccinated - as long as they survive it, and most will - will also end up gaining some more immunity each time. However, long covid will quite likely be more common amongst those who were initially unvaccinated.
Old 10-31-2021, 01:50 AM   #177
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by 78puget-trawler View Post
Are you actually saying that everyone WILL get Covid if not vaccinated? This runs contrary to everything I have read about it.
Further, not everyone that Does get it will even know, and more than a few depending on age group, general health etc., will have mild to no symptoms.
I think the threat is overblown.
On a happier note I see where a nasal spray vaccine is is being worked on and is showing promise.
There is also a "patch" type "vaccinator' in development here, a light slap operates microscopic injection needles. Close to use subject to checks and tests,it could make vaxxing way easier.
On 11 October NSW State,now about 85% double vaxxed, "opened up" so double vaxxed could resume almost normal life. So far, infection rates, hospitalizations incl ICU,and deaths, are still heading down. Tomorrow we open up more. Freedoms to extend to the non vaxxed on December 1 will likely be delayed until the State reaches 95% double vaxxed. We`re 93% single vaxxed and rising, so it`s achievable.
Tomorrow people in my State can fly to UK, USA, Asia, etc, but not to most other Aussie States(incl Peter`s) due to closed borders. Odd. NSW now welcomes returning Aussies, double vaxxed and Covid tested, unlimited numbers,no quarantine on arrival. Qantas is flying internationally again, a 787 from USA to Sydney is in the air!
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote