Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 10-05-2021, 03:18 PM   #161
Senior Member
 
localboy's Avatar
 
City: Lake Stevens, WA via Honolulu
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Vessel Model: C-Dory 25
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 439
Nope. Pfizer efficacy drops to 47% from 88%, after 6 months.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/pfize...223000604.html

https://www.timesofisrael.com/data-a...fter-6-months/
__________________
Aloha...Mark
localboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 03:24 PM   #162
Senior Member
 
City: West coast
Join Date: Aug 2021
Posts: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by localboy View Post
Yes, true, but that’s not what I said. I said “ Pfizer stops 90% infected from getting hospitalized or dying” - in other words severe cases.

Not getting the infection itself.
bowball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 03:44 PM   #163
Guru
 
Soo-Valley's Avatar
 
City: Gulf Islands, BC Canada
Vessel Name: Soo Valley
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 36
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 1,865
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
I think the change you are seeing may have more to do with the Delta variant's increased transmissibility than the borders being open. WA state has experienced a dramatic rise in COVID hospitalizations due to Delta and unfortunately low vaccination rates.
Dave, IMO the sudden increase is from open travel within and from outside our province. The increased average daily death rate is due to the harsher delta variant, of that there is no doubt.

BC now mandates masks for K-12 school children, legislation pondered to force health care and public workers to vaccinate.
I think the horse has left the barn and they have not figured out how to corral it yet. Close the borders IMO is the way to go.

Most at risk will now be offered 3rd shot. Some 100K identified, once they are done I am sure it will filter down to others. Once again BC Dr. Henry is fighting back.
__________________
SteveK AKA Soo Valley
You only need one working engine. That is why I have two.
Soo-Valley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 04:02 PM   #164
Senior Member
 
Spinner's Avatar
 
City: Richmond, BC
Vessel Name: Spinner
Vessel Model: 2003 Nordic Tug 42
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 451
I live in the lower mainland… I have seen only a few (2 cars) with WA plates.

All the Americans coming across the border are both vaccinated AND have a negative COVID test in hand. Yes, I see that case counts are going up, but I don’t see that they could be caused by travelers….
__________________
Regards

Sue
42 Nordic Tug Spinner
Spinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 04:32 PM   #165
Guru
 
Soo-Valley's Avatar
 
City: Gulf Islands, BC Canada
Vessel Name: Soo Valley
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 36
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 1,865
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinner View Post
I live in the lower mainland… I have seen only a few (2 cars) with WA plates.

All the Americans coming across the border are both vaccinated AND have a negative COVID test in hand. Yes, I see that case counts are going up, but I don’t see that they could be caused by travelers….
Sue, do you believe that only unvaccinated people can transmit the virus, I thought that idea was disproved long ago. In fact fully vaccinated are in hospital with covid, some dying. I suppose they could have infected one or two in a group before being diagnosed.

Since the border/travel openings restaurants no longer have only every other table service. All have no masks once seated, in effect saying that the virus floats at the standing level only.
Pubs are filling up again, as are other venues where many people gather since the opening of borders. It is an overall congregation of people outside the bubbles we kept prior to restrictions being lifted.

People from across borders by themselves are not the only reason, the opening signaled locals to relax their best practices thus causing the spike. So opening the border is responsible even if not directly.
__________________
SteveK AKA Soo Valley
You only need one working engine. That is why I have two.
Soo-Valley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 05:31 PM   #166
Senior Member
 
Spinner's Avatar
 
City: Richmond, BC
Vessel Name: Spinner
Vessel Model: 2003 Nordic Tug 42
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 451
You’re right, vaccinated people can transmit the virus, but they have to have had a negative Covid test within 72 hours of entering Canada. ‘Nuff said, back to boats!!
__________________
Regards

Sue
42 Nordic Tug Spinner
Spinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 10:54 PM   #167
Guru
 
BruceK's Avatar
 
City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 11,700
NSW State in Australia will have a staged "opening up" from a 3 month plus lockdown, probably on October 11, at 70% eligible vaxxed, with further "opening up" at 80%, maybe 10days later on present vax rates. We are being warned that when we open up, infection numbers "will go through the roof"(?? actual increase). This suggests easing restrictions leads to higher infection numbers, which may very well be Canada`s situation. But, as the vaxxed % rises,with a lower deathrate. We look like getting to 90% eligible vaxxed rate,esp now we are vaxxing 12-15s.
__________________
BruceK
2005 Integrity 386 "Sojourn"
Sydney Australia
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 02:15 AM   #168
TF Site Team
 
City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 9,138
Might be worth just pointing out here that when the magic number of those vaccinated - wherever one lives - reached the percentage required for border opening and the freeing up of all restrictions, there will be a surge in cases.

However, the numbers of those contracting the virus and developing severe illness - or, worse still, dying with it - should continue to steadily trend downwards, because of the protection the vaccine gives, but also the decrease in transmissibility among those vaccinated, (estimated now to be about 25%), even if they experience breakthrough infection, which is usually mild.

The important thing, is those who declined or missed out on vaccinations will still get 'vaccinated', but the hard way, whether they like it or not, because sure as shooting, they'll be exposed, and will get it...eventually..! No escaping that sorry.
__________________
Pete
Peter B is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 01:20 PM   #169
Guru
 
Alaskan Sea-Duction's Avatar
 
City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 7,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
Might be worth just pointing out here that when the magic number of those vaccinated - wherever one lives - reached the percentage required for border opening and the freeing up of all restrictions, there will be a surge in cases.

However, the numbers of those contracting the virus and developing severe illness - or, worse still, dying with it - should continue to steadily trend downwards, because of the protection the vaccine gives, but also the decrease in transmissibility among those vaccinated, (estimated now to be about 25%), even if they experience breakthrough infection, which is usually mild.

The important thing, is those who declined or missed out on vaccinations will still get 'vaccinated', but the hard way, whether they like it or not, because sure as shooting, they'll be exposed, and will get it...eventually..! No escaping that sorry.
Good post. When we came through Port McNeill a few days after the Canadian border was opened we were the only American boat at the dock. North Island Marina was full!!!..... with Canadians. No mask or social distancing etc.

Everyone was having a great time. No one had issues with the American at the dock. We were welcomed with smiles and a beer.

Still love Canada, some of the most friendly folks we know!
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 07:34 PM   #170
Guru
 
firehoser75's Avatar
 
City: Nanaimo
Vessel Name: former owner of "Pilitak"
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 1,478
Possibly related to pleasure boating....... I noticed that Alaska's reported Covid cases and hospitalizations have spiked upward dramatically since the end of June!
Is it possible that the influx of visitors and American boaters had an influence on this??? Probably very difficult to say for sure and/or prove, but an interesting observation none the less.
Tom,

Glad to hear that Port McNeill was doing well. I really like Bruce, Allan (Jackman), and the whole gang there. Great people who go out of their way to make everyone feel welcome. If they ever went out of business, that would be a huge loss to the entire Broughton area.
__________________
Tom
Nanaimo, BC
firehoser75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 08:14 PM   #171
Guru
 
Alaskan Sea-Duction's Avatar
 
City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 7,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by firehoser75 View Post
Possibly related to pleasure boating....... I noticed that Alaska's reported Covid cases and hospitalizations have spiked upward dramatically since the end of June!
Is it possible that the influx of visitors and American boaters had an influence on this??? Probably very difficult to say for sure and/or prove, but an interesting observation none the less.
Tom,

Glad to hear that Port McNeill was doing well. I really like Bruce, Allan (Jackman), and the whole gang there. Great people who go out of their way to make everyone feel welcome. If they ever went out of business, that would be a huge loss to the entire Broughton area.
Oh I agree . Allen and the crew are awesome..

I believe Alaska has had a spike, but that occurred in South Central i.e. Anchorage. Not sure about SEAK. I believe a lot of this will settle before next summer.

Already starting prep for next summer. Looking at a new generator, NL 9kw or 12kw.
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 10:30 PM   #172
Guru
 
City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 9,026
We've been in BC for a month. Twice we entered Canada on the Arrive Canada App. To comply with entry restrictions it would be accurate to say that compliance pretty well precludes an infected person from entering Canada. Proof of vaccine and passing a 72 hour COVID was required.

Freedom of movement in BC was 100% with various venues and restaurants busy. People were careful and aware with good mask compliance. But, anti vaxers are there and from what I read represent a very high % of those hospitalized.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Trawler Port Captains
Port Captains are TF volunteers who can serve as local guides or assist with local arrangements and information. Search below to locate Port Captains near your destination. To learn more about this program read here: TF Port Captain Program





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:10 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012