Old 08-31-2021, 12:29 PM   #141
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Spy View Post
Ummm. Not the United States.

"Over the past week, more than 21,000 cases have been reported in Canada, national data on Monday showed. Meanwhile, more than 900,000 cases were recorded last week in the U.S., according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)."

Statistically, it is safer to go to Canada than remain in the US.

Please don't.

Location, location, locationÖ..

I think it depends a lot on where you are. The US and Canada have about the same land area. I think the population of the US is about 9 times that of Canada. So population density on a national scale would much less in Canada which would make it safer.

Of course both countries are too big for national statistics to mean much. The US has huge internal regional differences in Covid rates base on population density and cultural factors. I would imagine that it is likely the same in Canada.

I would guess that rates in the city of Vancouver is likely to be a different than some of the less urbanized areas of Alberta.

Even so, Iím surprised that Canada has opened the border at all to US visitors. We seem to have a hard enough time complying with our own nations requests/orders for pandemic mitigation. I donít think US citizens will be any better when we travel outside our country.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 01:25 PM   #142
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
Understand what you are saying Dave, but 42 times the number with 9 times the population and the same area still doesn't work out. Even if you break it down State by State and Province by Province by population, statistically the US has always had a higher rate.

Canada's worst rates have been historically mixed in with the United State's best rates. This chart is update daily on a running 7 day average and has for well over a year. It's a reflection of the perspective about how each country judges what is "acceptable".

PS: Alberta has been anchorman for quite a while...

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/corona...ates-1.5051033
Northern Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 07:52 PM   #143
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Great discussion for now, but.......
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 08:01 PM   #144
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Covid has always been a local or at best a regional issue.

Herd immunity is not necessarily in the short term a global or national problem...it is much more regional or local in my estimation....and so far my predictions have blown the experts away.

Yes, long term we all might have it at some point, but how you perceive that concept and how it fits your life is the issue....

So following anything above regional or local case, hospitalization or death numbers hasn't worked since day 1.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 10:49 PM   #145
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Back to the topic - passing through BC following the current Arrive Canada app and 72 hour test seems to be working great. The stops we are making in BC shows great enthusiasm for the return of all boaters by marina owners. But, the marinas are not very busy given the ongoing protocols, especially the paucity of 72 hour testing locations in Washington that are boater centric.
sunchaser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 10:11 AM   #146
Guru

City: West Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser
The stops we are making in BC shows great enthusiasm for the return of all boaters by marina owners. But, the marinas are not very busy
The number of AK to WA boats through August has been rather surprising and raises the question; how/when did these boats travel north?

Added to that, most make a fairly hasty transit, bypassing those enthusiastic operators, raising more questions; why? Is it mostly unvaccinated, nondiscretionary travel?
soin2la is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 10:55 AM   #147
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. S2. "Is it mostly unvaccinated, nondiscretionary travel?" That's for the authorities to figure out IMO. One can only hope that the "wrong" persons don't show up at the wrong place at the wrong time.

Given the state of flux with this 4th wave I expect regulations to possibly change on a fairly frequent basis. It seems that the TF members who have posted have been acting in a responsible manner so....We wait....

Old 09-01-2021, 11:07 AM   #148
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly
That's for the authorities to figure out IMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly
It seems that the TF members who have posted have been acting in a responsible manner…
I agree with both comments. The first being the reason for my pondering; did the authorities at the northern border deem many to be inadmissible for recreational purposes and therefore compelled to directly transit through? The second that most are not TF members.
Old 09-01-2021, 11:21 AM   #149
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: AZZURRA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 54
I know a lot of boaters who transited through to Alaska for the summer. They all had been vaccinated fully. Now they are transitioning straight back because they don’t want to deal with the paperwork and tests to formally enter Canada.

On the other hand I am currently sitting in the Gulf Islands with several USA boats. All of us crossed after Aug 9 and went through the ArriveCan app. We are all fully vaccinated and were tested negative before we arrived.

What I am seeing is 3/4 filled marinas but all the 60’ and up slips are now filled with newly arrived USA boats. The marinas are super happy to have us. The restaurants are supper happy to have us.

Not everyone is happy to see us. Why, I don’t know?
tiltrider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 01:12 PM   #150
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiltrider1
Now they are transitioning straight back because they don’t want to deal with the paperwork and tests to formally enter Canada.
That seems to contradict ASD, Sunchaser and several others when they described a simple courteous and uncomplicated process. Will those same folks who snub a country gracious enough to allow safe passage, be the first to complain when the mom and pop marine stops are gone from lack of business?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiltrider1
I am currently sitting in the Gulf Islands with several USA boats. What I am seeing is 3/4 filled marinas. The marinas are super happy to have us. The restaurants are supper happy to have us.
Ganges and Montague are not typical of current BC coast operations as noted by Sunchaser and I’m not sure that ĺ filled marinas means anything, unless you know where those boats are from.
Old 09-01-2021, 01:18 PM   #151
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Once you declared Transient Thru, you could not change your status regardless of vaccination. For those that arrived in PR, fully vaccinated and a test no older than 72 hours and updated the app, it was simple clearance by cell phone. Just like NEXUS used to be.

Unfortunately for us, we had already declared our travel and could not change it.
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 01:25 PM   #152
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Now they are transitioning straight back because they donít want to deal with the paperwork and tests to formally enter Canada.[/QUOTE]

That seems to contradict ASD, Sunchaser and several others when they described a simple courteous and uncomplicated process. Will those same folks who snub a country gracious enough to allow safe passage, be the first to complain when the mom and pop marine stops are gone from lack of business?

[/QUOTE]I am currently sitting in the Gulf Islands with several USA boats. What I am seeing is 3/4 filled marinas. The marinas are super happy to have us. The restaurants are supper happy to have us.[/QUOTE]

Ganges and Montague are not typical of current BC coast operations as noted by Sunchaser and Iím not sure that ĺ filled marinas means anything, unless you know where those boats are from.[/QUOTE]3/4 full is pretty accurate from Port McNeill south. Shearwater was pretty bare.

I can say based on experience the border crossing both ways were easy, painless and the officers were friendly.

I know this may have come to be a big surprise for you S2. Yep Americans crossed Canada to get to Alaska and back while on your watch.
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 02:33 PM   #153

City: Seattle, WA
Vessel Name: Akeeva
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by soin2la View Post
The number of AK to WA boats through August has been rather surprising and raises the question; how/when did these boats travel north?

Added to that, most make a fairly hasty transit, bypassing those enthusiastic operators, raising more questions; why? Is it mostly unvaccinated, nondiscretionary travel?
I think at least some of the boaters in Alaska just burned out in August and headed for home as quickly as they could. Anecdotally I heard it from several friends. There have been some stretches of really wet, windy weather the last few weeks, the days are getting shorter, and a lot of people came up earlier than they ever have before. They've been aboard for months and are ready to get home.

We plan to leave Ketchikan for Prince Rupert next week and will happily test and show our proof of vaccination to be able to enjoy Canada. And we'll feel a lot more comfortable in public places in Canada than we do in Ketchikan, where we're avoiding indoor spaces because there's lots of COVID going around.
Retriever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 02:52 PM   #154
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Sea-Duction
3/4 full is pretty accurate from Port McNeill south. Shearwater was pretty bare.
No idea what you are on about ASD and I still don't know what 3/4 filled means.
Shearwater was "pretty bare" by choice. Did you try to pull up to a dock there? No.

How many of the more than 130 marinas from "Port McNeill south" did you observe on your quick trip through? Three maybe?

All that aside, do US citizens have vaccine passports? Will Tiltrider and his friends have acceptable proof of "fully vaccinated" status on Sept. 13 when those super happy restaurants require it for entry?
Old 09-01-2021, 03:10 PM   #155
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever
I think at least some of the boaters in Alaska just burned out in August and headed for home as quickly as they could. Anecdotally I heard it from several friends. There have been some stretches of really wet, windy weather the last few weeks, the days are getting shorter, and a lot of people came up earlier than they ever have before. They've been aboard for months and are ready to get home.

We plan to leave Ketchikan for Prince Rupert next week and will happily test and show our proof of vaccination to be able to enjoy Canada. And we'll feel a lot more comfortable in public places in Canada than we do in Ketchikan, where we're avoiding indoor spaces because there's lots of COVID going around.
Great, balanced comments, thanks for the understandable perspectives; no blanket statements there.

Sorry to hear of the covid count in AK, but BC is no healthy meca either.

Because of wild fires and Canadians inability to travel south, Vancouver Island has become the overwhelming destination choice and it shows, as we are seeing record daily numbers. A "pandemic of unvaccinated" they are calling it now.

Enjoy our waters and be safe. I've long enjoyed your publications and will watch for Akeeva, when she rounds the corner.