Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 04-01-2020, 04:07 PM   #1
Guru
 
syjos's Avatar


 
City: Gig Harbor
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Sandpiper
Vessel Model: Bluewater 40 Pilothouse Trawler
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 1,914
Interesting Fatality Numbers from Worldometer

I look at worldometer.info twice a day to see what the latest Coronovirus stats are and found some interesting worldwide numbers on their site, from January 1, 2020 to 2:00 pm April 1, 2020

46,496 Coronvirus deaths this year

121,916 Seasonal flu deaths this year

77,506 Deaths of mothers during birth this year

121,916 Seasonal flu deaths this year

245,964 Deaths caused by malaria this year

268,899 Suicides this year

338,497 Road traffic accident fatalities this year

421,539 Deaths caused by HIV/AIDS this year

627,168 Deaths caused by alcohol this year

1,253,546 Deaths caused by smoking this year

2,059,453 Deaths caused by cancer this year
__________________
Advertisement

syjos is online now  
Old 04-01-2020, 04:28 PM   #2
Guru
 
menzies's Avatar
 
City: Jacksonville
Country: USA
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 6,075
We ain't done yet, in fact we probably haven't started.
__________________

menzies is offline  
Old 04-01-2020, 04:43 PM   #3
Guru
 
Soo-Valley's Avatar
 
City: Gulf Islands
Country: canada
Vessel Name: MissStress
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 36
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 1,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by menzies View Post
We ain't done yet, in fact we probably haven't started.
But neither are those other numbers
__________________
SteveK
You only need one working engine.
That is why I have two.
Soo-Valley is offline  
Old 04-01-2020, 05:53 PM   #4
Guru
 
menzies's Avatar
 
City: Jacksonville
Country: USA
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 6,075
So exactly what point is being made?
menzies is offline  
Old 04-01-2020, 06:04 PM   #5
Guru
 
Soo-Valley's Avatar
 
City: Gulf Islands
Country: canada
Vessel Name: MissStress
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 36
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 1,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by menzies View Post
So exactly what point is being made?
The point.
All those numbers continue to climb. OP posted a real world comparison to the event at hand that shut down the world when other causes are in greater numbers. I am sure you understood that.
What kind of anchor do you have, do you like it?
__________________
SteveK
You only need one working engine.
That is why I have two.
Soo-Valley is offline  
Old 04-01-2020, 06:17 PM   #6
Guru
 
syjos's Avatar


 
City: Gig Harbor
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Sandpiper
Vessel Model: Bluewater 40 Pilothouse Trawler
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 1,914
Quote:
Originally Posted by menzies View Post
So exactly what point is being made?

I'm not making a point by posting the numbers.

I thought the numbers were interesting and informative.
syjos is online now  
Old 04-01-2020, 06:20 PM   #7
Guru
 
HiDHo's Avatar
 
City: Scottsboro, Al.
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Hi-D-Ho
Vessel Model: 1987 Krogen Manatee
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,151
You left out how many deaths related to the stock market collapse, Mr.M. might relate to that better.
HiDHo is offline  
Old 04-01-2020, 06:27 PM   #8
Guru
 
Xsbank's Avatar
 
City: Pender Harbour, BC
Country: Canada
Vessel Name: Gwaii Haanas
Vessel Model: Custom Aluminum 52
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 3,492
The numbers are interesting, the corona has shut down the planet, at least the planet’s economies, yet it is nowhere near as dangerous as smoking, which lots of places still allow. I guess smoking doesn’t kill its practitioners fast enough?
__________________
Don't believe everything that you think.
Xsbank is offline  
Old 04-01-2020, 07:00 PM   #9
Guru
 
menzies's Avatar
 
City: Jacksonville
Country: USA
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 6,075
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xsbank View Post
The numbers are interesting, the corona has shut down the planet, at least the planet’s economies, yet it is nowhere near as dangerous as smoking, which lots of places still allow. I guess smoking doesn’t kill its practitioners fast enough?
Or isn't as infectious for those that aren't smoking.

Another point. How many of those disease, such as cancer, malaria, road deaths, mothers giving birth, suicide, alcohol, are infectious?
menzies is offline  
Old 04-01-2020, 07:05 PM   #10
Guru
 
menzies's Avatar
 
City: Jacksonville
Country: USA
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 6,075
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soo-Valley View Post
The point.
All those numbers continue to climb. OP posted a real world comparison to the event at hand that shut down the world when other causes are in greater numbers. I am sure you understood that.
What kind of anchor do you have, do you like it?
If the world had not been "shut down" what would the Coronavirus number be, now and over the next 12 months.

It doesn't have a season, or year.

So answer this. You think we should open everything up and quit with the social distancing since this virus is not as potent as the others listed?
menzies is offline  
Old 04-01-2020, 07:12 PM   #11
Guru
 
menzies's Avatar
 
City: Jacksonville
Country: USA
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 6,075
Quote:
Originally Posted by syjos View Post
I'm not making a point by posting the numbers.

I thought the numbers were interesting and informative.
Thank you for that.

They are interesting. But I would make two points.

The Coronavirus numbers are additive. The others don't go away, we now have more. Another stat added.

But more importantly, when you consider disease like malaria and maternal death from childbirth, these are mainly from third world countries. Countries with rural populations and minimal health care capabilities. Plus low education.

All across Africa, Indonesia, the Middle East, and South and Latin America.

Covid-19 hasn't even really begun to hit there yet. Hopefully due to lower international travel in those areas it will not be hit as bad. But if it does - watch out.
menzies is offline  
Old 04-01-2020, 07:21 PM   #12
Enigma
 
RT Firefly's Avatar
 
City: Slicker?
Country: Bumpkin?
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 14,223
Greetings,
Mr. m. "But WHEN it does - watch out." There, fixed it for you.
__________________
RTF
RT Firefly is online now  
Old 04-01-2020, 07:29 PM   #13
Guru
 
Soo-Valley's Avatar
 
City: Gulf Islands
Country: canada
Vessel Name: MissStress
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 36
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 1,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by menzies View Post
If the world had not been "shut down" what would the Coronavirus number be, now and over the next 12 months.

It doesn't have a season, or year.

So answer this. You think we should open everything up and quit with the social distancing since this virus is not as potent as the others listed?
Thank you for the edit.
We can stop discussing this thread now.
__________________
SteveK
You only need one working engine.
That is why I have two.
Soo-Valley is offline  
Old 04-01-2020, 07:32 PM   #14
Guru
 
menzies's Avatar
 
City: Jacksonville
Country: USA
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 6,075
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soo-Valley View Post
Thank you for the edit.
We can stop discussing this thread now.
I asked you a question.

Once you stop pouting, care to answer it?
menzies is offline  
Old 04-01-2020, 07:41 PM   #15
Guru
 
menzies's Avatar
 
City: Jacksonville
Country: USA
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 6,075
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiDHo View Post
You left out how many deaths related to the stock market collapse, Mr.M. might relate to that better.
Durn right. Last I looked it was down 6.8% on the year.

Hurtin' dollar-wise.

But not hearing of any deaths related to the market - so not hurtin' community-wise!

Overall a win as far as I'm concerned!
menzies is offline  
Old 04-01-2020, 07:49 PM   #16
Guru
 
syjos's Avatar


 
City: Gig Harbor
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Sandpiper
Vessel Model: Bluewater 40 Pilothouse Trawler
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 1,914
Quote:
Originally Posted by menzies View Post
Thank you for that.

They are interesting. But I would make two points.

The Coronavirus numbers are additive. The others don't go away, we now have more. Another stat added.

But more importantly, when you consider disease like malaria and maternal death from childbirth, these are mainly from third world countries. Countries with rural populations and minimal health care capabilities. Plus low education.

All across Africa, Indonesia, the Middle East, and South and Latin America.

Covid-19 hasn't even really begun to hit there yet. Hopefully due to lower international travel in those areas it will not be hit as bad. But if it does - watch out.

The numbers for other causes of death are additive. The numbers for the other deaths was captured at 2:00 pm today. Those numbers are growing too.

Maternal death and malaria are not prevalent in the US but suicide, auto, flu, and alcohol fatalities are.
syjos is online now  
Old 04-01-2020, 07:59 PM   #17
Guru
 
caltexflanc's Avatar
 
City: North Carolina for now
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 5,985
They are not growing exponentially folks, and this one is, and as of yet has no vaccine or cure. Ergo the reaction. Unchecked it will be at the top of the list in a year, which is when this conversation may have some actual relevance.
__________________
George

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is online now  
Old 04-01-2020, 08:05 PM   #18
Guru
 
Lou_tribal's Avatar
 
City: Quebec
Country: Canada
Vessel Name: Bleuvet
Vessel Model: Custom Built
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 3,904
1200+ casualties today in US and counting, sad world record of daily casualties, 30% more than the worst day in Italy.
Wish you all the best down there, be safe.

L
Lou_tribal is offline  
Old 04-01-2020, 08:08 PM   #19
Guru
 
menzies's Avatar
 
City: Jacksonville
Country: USA
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 6,075
Quote:
Originally Posted by syjos View Post
The numbers for other causes of death are additive. The numbers for the other deaths was captured at 2:00 pm today. Those numbers are growing too.

Maternal death and malaria are not prevalent in the US but suicide, auto, flu, and alcohol fatalities are.
You seem to want to make a point with these numbers but are hesitating to do so?
menzies is offline  
Old 04-01-2020, 09:03 PM   #20
Guru
 
syjos's Avatar


 
City: Gig Harbor
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Sandpiper
Vessel Model: Bluewater 40 Pilothouse Trawler
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 1,914
Quote:
Originally Posted by menzies View Post
You seem to want to make a point with these numbers but are hesitating to do so?
No, no point to be made. Just responding to your comments.
__________________

syjos is online now  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:22 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012
×