Have you been to your Canadian moored boat.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

soin2la

Guru
Anyone from the US with a year round moor in BC been up to look at the boat since the border was closed?

If so, and you are willing to tell, was it complicated crossing over and back?
You weren't on one of the infected inbound flights, I hope.

Part 2:
I'm told a number of US boats have moved from the south of Vancouver Island back into the US. Are you one? How hard was that?

Last edited:
There are a couple TFers that moor in Sidney who I bet can answer your question. Going the other direction, the two Canadian boats I know here in Bellingham haven't seen their owners since the border closed, at least that I'm aware of, and I usually see them regularly.

There are a couple TFers that moor in Sidney...

Yes, lots of US boats in marinas on Vancouver Island and the sunshine coast; some are cruising, not sure how that works..

The question came up, after seeing what might be a nice boat up island, under a years worth of exhaust and seagull shots.

Talking to a friend on the south end, he said there were two from Sidney and one from Brentwood Bay crossing eastbound earlier.

I know of two Canucks, that boarded a flight in Van and flew to Seattle, and from there to their homes and boats here. Don’t know how they will be heading north, probably the same way in reverse. Seems like there are ways to get around the rules. Another friend cleared at Nanaimo two days ago and is currently rounding Caution, headed for Alaska. No stops other than Anchoring. Looks like he is making 120 mile days.

At least one boat on our dock was towed by Towboat to Vancouver for her owner.

I know of two Canucks, that boarded a flight in Van and flew to Seattle, and from there to their homes and boats here. Don’t know how they will be heading north, probably the same way in reverse. Seems like there are ways to get around the rules. Another friend cleared at Nanaimo two days ago and is currently rounding Caution, headed for Alaska. No stops other than Anchoring. Looks like he is making 120 mile days.

Are you able to expand on this a bit? Under the pre-covid rules a US boat could transit BC's waters non stop which meant no anchoring or fuel stops without clearing customs. A voyage including anchoring or fuel stops required customs clearance.

I've been hearing of boats transiting as your friend is doing. Anchoring but not going ashore. Did he get specific permission from Canada border services for the transit? Did he just show up and announce his intentions? How are weather waits for Cape Caution being handled? I would not want to be forced to round the Cape upon arrival without regard to weather.

He stopped at Nanaimo and cleared. He has anchored 3 times, maybe 1 or 2 more times before exiting Canada. The weather so far has been very good, some fog but nice.

Part 2: I'm told a number of US boats have moved from the south of Vancouver Island back into the US. Are you one? How hard was that?

A close friend from SoCal was a dock mate of ours in Sidney. This was his year to get his vessel back to SoCal. With the border closed for "non essential" he hired a dual citizen delivery skipper who resides in BC to take his boat from Sidney to Roche Harbor, pulling a small boat for skippers return to BC.

The vessel, now in Anacortes will do transit to SoCal in a few weeks. If you've a US home for your locked up US vessel in BC, delivery into US is pretty simple. Likewise, many US vessels are transiting through BC to AK if used for business or owned by a "proper" AK resident.

The whole idea is to keep Washington boats out of BC running to Kitimat to infect Murray. ;) Seriously though, there are workable methods in place for legitimate exit or transit needs. In our case, with the boat in Sidney under watchful eyes, we're enjoying a non cruising year doing equally rewarding outdoor activities. Life goes on.

Nice to see your investment is being looked after. The one we saw up island, not so much. We discussed throwing a hose at it; the marina said no, understandably.

Nice too for the dual citizen capt.

May was a bit concerning, as a few that meandered along, thinking once through CBSA; “no ones looking.”

McNeill saw a lot of US boats in June; one Friday night there were 11. Most seem to get he word now, passing quietly and directly.

I’m just surprised how many from WA have “homes in AK.”

Nice to see your investment is being looked after. The one we saw up island, not so much. We discussed throwing a hose at it; the marina said no, understandably.

Nice too for the dual citizen capt.

May was a bit concerning, as a few that meandered along, thinking once through CBSA; “no ones looking.”

McNeill saw a lot of US boats in June; one Friday night there were 11. Most seem to get he word now, passing quietly and directly.

I’m just surprised how many from WA have “homes in AK.”

Do you live on Malcolm Island? Your TF handle might be a hint, as in....Sointula?

Do you live on Malcolm Island? Your TF handle might be a hint, as in....Sointula?
I have a connection to Sointula and a relative returned there a couple years ago. We use the telephone weekly and I visit the area frequently, until now.

I have a connection to Sointula and a relative returned there a couple years ago. We use the telephone weekly and I visit the area frequently, until now.

The Burger Barn is the best in the world. :thumb:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom