Coronavirus and buying a boat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting.

I had a holiday from work in January and fell sick during that week. It was the worst flu I've ever had...bad enough for me to know I'd put dying of the flu right behind Ebola as one of the worst ways to go.

I didn't seek medical attention and just rode it out. I've never had the chills where my whole body was shaking. I couldn't eat more than a couple cups of thin soup per day, but never puked. The longest part was the last, where I had a cough go really deep into my lungs.

That's why this virus is so interesting to me, because the flu I had seemed like an entry level version of Covid 19. Then again, maybe I had the real McCoy..?

Glad to see you are now better, Murray. My sister, who lives near San Diego, is just now getting over a similar flu that has lasted two weeks. She had the sore throat at the beginning, then fever, but not as bad as your fever w chills. Her cough is bad when she talks, and she is still tired all the time. She does not think she got the coronavirus, but I am thinking it is possible she did.

She is a librarian at an elementary school. She was also on spring break when she came down with it, and has not yet been back to work, so she does not know if it spread.

Did anyone you work or live with also come down with this flu?

Best,
Mrs. Trombley

Glad to see you are now better, Murray. My sister, who lives near San Diego, is just now getting over a similar flu that has lasted two weeks. She had the sore throat at the beginning, then fever, but not as bad as your fever w chills. Her cough is bad when she talks, and she is still tired all the time. She does not think she got the coronavirus, but I am thinking it is possible she did.

She is a librarian at an elementary school. She was also on spring break when she came down with it, and has not yet been back to work, so she does not know if it spread.

Did anyone you work or live with also come down with this flu?

Best,
Mrs. Trombley

I caught it from our daughter who was home for the Christmas holidays from college. She's 18 and it hit her pretty hard as well. Don't know anybody else who had it, but we did take her to the doctor before she flew back to school, just to be sure she was okay to fly, and the doctor said this was a bad year (this was early January) for the flu.

Buy the boat. If the world comes to an end it won’t matter about the financial end of things. If I die from the virus then it may mean I expire a little earlier than expected. We are all on a one way ticket anyway.

I’m not worried about my kids. They can earn it the way I did. Enjoy what you’ve earned.

If you are worried about the virus go buy extra stores for the boat and quarantine on it. There are worse places to be.

I caught it from our daughter who was home for the Christmas holidays from college. She's 18 and it hit her pretty hard as well. Don't know anybody else who had it, but we did take her to the doctor before she flew back to school, just to be sure she was okay to fly, and the doctor said this was a bad year (this was early January) for the flu.
That1s not good. Can you get flu immunizations? Doesn`t nail every flu variation, but mostly it helps. It`s cooling here now, covid and flu simultaneously could end badly, definitely getting a shot this year.

That1s not good. Can you get flu immunizations? Doesn`t nail every flu variation, but mostly it helps. It`s cooling here now, covid and flu simultaneously could end badly, definitely getting a shot this year.

Yup. Learned my lesson. Even though there's no guarantee I'll be getting a flu shot from now on!

Murray,
Glad to hear you are feeling better, but sorry you went through that. I would not want to get both flu and Coronavirus at the same time, and I am reasonably sure it could happen. Next year, vaccines for me (I hope) :)

One other thought for the OP. Largely as a result of the virus, official interest rates got shaved again, probably won`t be the last.(Though what good it does I don`t know,mortgage borrowers have more $ to spend while depositors have less $ to spend.) Regardless, money earns little interest,while share prices are falling/correcting with dividends under pressure.
These events will likely harm boat prices(I just bought one!),so it could be a buying opportunity. Could be a recession coming too, with even lower boat prices.
It`s what you are comfortable with, in terms of risk and uncertainty. If you are conservative, safety says "rack your cue" for now. Desire for pleasure says" buy the boat".

Greetings,
Mr. MM. I've been waiting for that. One of the reasons it's recommended to get a flu shot every year is the ability that some viruses have for rapid mutation. That's the "secret" of a viruses success.
Other viruses are relatively "stable" like rubelavirus (mumps). The vaccine is extremely effective and usually a once for life shot protects.

If this is your concern then you are not ready to buy. Wait a few months and see how things play out then decide next steps. You may miss out on the boat but there is always another.

Best not buy one where the PO or guests had corona virus.

Interesting.

I had a holiday from work in January and fell sick during that week. It was the worst flu I've ever had...bad enough for me to know I'd put dying of the flu right behind Ebola as one of the worst ways to go.

I didn't seek medical attention and just rode it out. I've never had the chills where my whole body was shaking. I couldn't eat more than a couple cups of thin soup per day, but never puked. The longest part was the last, where I had a cough go really deep into my lungs.

That's why this virus is so interesting to me, because the flu I had seemed like an entry level version of Covid 19. Then again, maybe I had the real McCoy..?

Anecdotally, I had a case of flu like illness around Christmas that eventually got into my lungs and I couldn’t shake the cough. I finally went to the Dr and they were a little alarmed and said I had pneumonia. Gave me a couple of injections (steroid and an antibiotic I think) and it finally went away, but it sure took a long time. This was obviously pre-covid19 times, but it makes me wonder.

My experience the last 3 years of looking seriously at boats is that yes there is always another boat - if you want an average to run down boat at an inflated price. If you want a truly clean, well maintained boat that meets your exact requirements, and is also at a reasonable price (dare I say "deal"), then no. There is NOT always another one of those. You wait a LONG time for those. And if one of those shows up, virus be dammed. Get on it immediately.

Should I buy anything knowing it might be worth less in a few years?
I think this question answers your question.

Boats depreciate, some very quickly, some at a slower rate. That’s just a fact...does the OP think he might want to sell in the near future? If that’s the case, maybe evaluate the possible purchase for it’s likely depreciation without regard to a pandemic.....

My $02 also :)

All it takes is someone snorting bath salts and getting Covid 19 while getting bit by a rabid dog. Then you have your rabid flesh eating zombie apocalypse. Long range boats like trawlers will be bought up like surgical mask. The boat is our bug-out plan for such an event. Just point the pointy end towards the sea and meet up with others doing the same. We'll figure it out from there.

Meet up with others? Are you nutz? They all got cooties, maybe even THE virus.

All it takes is someone snorting bath salts and getting Covid 19 while getting bit by a rabid dog. Then you have your rabid flesh eating zombie apocalypse. Long range boats like trawlers will be bought up like surgical mask. The boat is our bug-out plan for such an event. Just point the pointy end towards the sea and meet up with others doing the same. We'll figure it out from there.

I’m not sure I want to survive a Zombie Apocalypse. If I did the boat seems like as good a plan as any.

...this thing could get a big foothold in our populations and "overwhelm" our medical system's ability to deliver the necessary treatments that some people will require. This could result in an even higher death rate? Yes 80% of victims have "mild" symptoms, but if we get large numbers who contract it, the numbers needed medical help could be staggering.
This is the bigger problem. It's not just about individual sickness/recovery. It's about the impact of the greater numbers of 'very sick' people needing medical treatment. This will have an impact on the numbers of other people, sick from something else, also needing treatment. There's not enough beds and other resources to handle the increase.

So, you're not sick with it, great. Or you are and it's not "that bad". Ok. Now let's say you have something else that needs treatment. Possible accidents or other illness. Whoops, can't get treated because the facilities are jammed up with other folks that ARE sick from it.

Our systems, such as they are, are able to handle the predictable amount of influenza complications and deaths. They're not prepared for those to continue AND something that has an order of magnitude greater potential for also needing treatment. THAT is why it's a big deal.

To the OP, in all seriousness and to your question, the Coronavirus HAS affected our economy and I know because I am very well invested in the market. The market is a roller coaster right now. The economic effect is mostly on stocks and some commodity items such as mask, sanitizes, water purifiers, food storage items etc. So far I have not seen any changes other than normal price reductions or increases for trawlers. I know this because I am tracking cost for my trawler purchase in a few years. This could change. The question is, as things gets worst, will it cause long range/live aboard boat prices to increase or decrease? And how does the Coronavirus outbreak affect boaters who live or partially live aboard and/or cruse now?

As of this morning, Canada has 59 confirmed cases, so a ballpark guess would be 600 people have it in the USA. The US has about 10 times the population of Canada.

Another way to estimate it would be by deaths, where 14 people have died in the USA. Using the 2% mortality rate means there may be 700 people out there with the virus.

Trump quote this morning, “This came unexpectedly from China, we closed it down, we stopped it, it was a very early shutdown”.

*Moderators...please don't delete quote...speaks to top down guidance.

Last edited:
"From the available information, transmission of SARS-CoV2 is more efficient than with other recent novel coronaviruses (SARS and Middle East respiratory syndrome [MERS]) and also appears to be more efficient than seasonal influenza. The R0 (‘R naught’; number of cases spread from an infected case) for COVID-19 is estimated at 2-3, whereas seasonal influenza at 1-1.3. "

It is estimated, so far, that each person with Covid 19 passes it to 2-3 people.

https://www.contagionlive.com/news/thomas-m-file-jr-md-covid19-requires-a-unified-approach

Last edited:
The US case numbers are definitely underreported because we aren’t testing very many people at all. A cynic would say that’s by design, for political purposes. I’m trying to not be that cynic, but it’s getting harder and harder.

The R0 (R naught) that Murray is talking about, is actually a factor of not only how contagious a disease is, but also, the environment that it "operates" or exists in!!
For example, a very contagious disease "loose" in a practically unoccupied countryside will have a much lower R0 than the same disease "loose" in a densely populated city that does not curtail in any way person to person contact!
So how we (as a group - all people) act (or don't) will have an impact on the spread of this disease.

It appears to me that we are now past the "contain" phase, and must now concentrate on trying to delay how fast and far it spreads to try to lower the impact on our health systems. A large "spike" in cases could be extremely detrimental as described above in Post #85.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom