CDC Website - Excess Deaths Associated with COVID-19

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Boat

Guru
The Excess Deaths graph on this page is what was most interesting to me. The graph is about half way down the page. They didn't make it easy to link up so you might have to look around. Tableau was the data service, I guess.

Excess Deaths Associated with COVID-19

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/covid19/excess_deaths.htm

This is a link to the graph at Tableau:

https://public.tableau.com/profile/...s_mort_withcauses_08052020/WeeklyExcessDeaths

This is a more general link:

National Center for Health Statistics

Last edited:
This shows the Covid related deaths above the line and deaths normally expected for each week.
Posted a screenshot:

attachment.php

Attachments

• Screenshot (2).jpg
    Screenshot (2).jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 130
Last edited:
It's hard to interpret that chart just by looking at it, so I took the actual number of deaths for each week and subtracted the average number of deaths for each week, starting from where it 'jumped over the line' in 2020, then added up the difference.

When compared to the average number of deaths from all other causes, there have been 192,397 extra deaths, so far...at least according to these numbers...

Last edited:

Attachments

• CDC-Deaths-2020-vs-2019.jpg
    CDC-Deaths-2020-vs-2019.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 21
The chart made me think about "normal" deaths, and wonder if certain categories of those are going down due to people staying home (no commuting) and curtailing other activities that produce accidents or deaths.

Analagous to how there are fewer premies perhaps due to pregnant women doing more resting since fewer activities.

The peak is shocking tho. Makes the 2017-2018 bad flu season look like a wee blip.

It`s reported that associated with the pandemic, in Australia around 16% of people were drinking alcohol daily(doubt that represents much change) and 26% of them were concerned about it(that probably is a change).
With Victoria in a second lockdown that might be conservative. We are probably not drinking much more and don`t normally give it much of a nudge anyway, but with some cellar replenishment while wine prices slip, the Australia Post delivery courier could get the wrong idea.
There is also a reported upsurge in domestic violence, due to people being together longer while not really getting on well. Less $ income and dare I say it, more alcohol,might contribute to friction.
It`s going to be a long haul. I doubt initial vaccines,if we get one soon, will be fully effective, they may even have side issues, but something will likely be better than nothing. With changes to daily living, cruising and travel restricted, lack of $ and the ability to go out and enjoy a Club, pub,or restaurant as before our lives are different,and look like staying that way for some time. Last night we were in a restaurant we often attend,they had a register by phone app to track those present to comply with their obligations, but we seemed closer to others than I liked, we may have to revise restaurant choices for our safety.I suppose I should just value that we can go to one at all, but safety is important.

Last edited:
Good points and some of those factors may offset lack of sport type risks and those of commuting.

Granted I'm not a big restaurant go-er in the best of times; but I don't think I could enjoy a meal in an indoor restaurant setting right now. Six feet is nothing for indoor air, and instead of enjoying my meal I'd be worrying and furtively checking out fellow diners. Heaven forbid if anyone coughed (myself included) Can't really wear a mask either.

I was buoyed reading about how certain streets have been roped off in NYC for outdoor dining and it's been popular and benefited restaurateurs and diners alike. Apparently they are considering keeping some variation on the theme even "after," because it has had such a positive reaction (not so practical in winter though).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom