Canada Shuts Down Border

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Heck, there are still a lot of travel restrictions between Province’s let alone the US/CA Border. We bagged our Canadian Maritime trip till next year.

New Brunswick state of emergency declaration bans all "non-essential" travel such as tourism and social visits. Provincial peace officers are stationed at each of the seven interprovincial land entry points in the province, 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Prince Edward Island is remaining closed to non-residents for the foreseeable future as it begins easing COVID-19 restrictions.

The province will continue to keep its provincial borders closed to non-residents, allowing only health-care providers and essential workers, such as truck drivers delivering goods, to cross the Confederation Bridge.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/provi...ints-1.5561074

Bill I would warn the Canadian Navy to get ready to intercept, but both ships are overseas at this time :)
Maybe Murray could take over and stop you with his camera???

Cameras no, but my 9lb wooden Zone VI "lightweight" tripod packs a serious wallop.

Hey Crusty, how is this going to affect Pairadice in Mexico?

Save your countermeasures boys. I'm coming. I'm gonna tape your eyes open and make you watch every episode of "The Apprentice". There are two non-Americans I would go to the mat for- Don Cherry and QEII. Don't mess with my hockey or my queen!

Cameras no, but my 9lb wooden Zone VI "lightweight" tripod packs a serious wallop.

From Canada's perspective I can't think of a single reason to open the borders.... I assume that this is a federal vs state/provincial agreement.

Ironically Canadians can cross the border into the US for healthcare reasons
I suppose the reverse is true, but not not many US citizens go to Canada for healthcare... (Murray that was just for you):)

I suppose the reverse is true, but not not many US citizens go to Canada for healthcare... (Murray that was just for you):)

Maybe not, but many move here for Quality of Life reasons :hide: :D

From Canada's perspective I can't think of a single reason to open the borders.... I assume that this is a federal vs state/provincial agreement.

Ironically Canadians can cross the border into the US for healthcare reasons
Right now border opening is being decided by provinces even though it is federal. The premiers need to agree first as Trudy is in no rush to make a decision.

Save your countermeasures boys. I'm coming. I'm gonna tape your eyes open and make you watch every episode of "The Apprentice". There are two non-Americans I would go to the mat for- Don Cherry and QEII. Don't mess with my hockey or my queen!
Bill,
Maybe Murray should put that tripod away. You seem to have your priorities straight!! :thumb:

Greetings,
Mr. m. You can keep your Don Cherry. He's always been a bigot. Her Royal Majesty, on the other hand is a class act. Will be interesting, when she steps down, to see who will be sitting on the throne. I dearly hope it isn't Charles. THAT guy is a complete loser IMO. Takes after his father, Philip who is a loser, as well.

Greetings,
Mr. m. You can keep your Don Cherry. He's always been a bigot. Her Royal Majesty, on the other hand is a class act. Will be interesting, when she steps down, to see who will be sitting on the throne. I dearly hope it isn't Charles. THAT guy is a complete loser IMO. Takes after his father, Philip who is a loser, as well.

Ignoring you cherry picked comment. LOL

The queen will not step down in agreement with you. I thought there was a proposal put for Charles to step aside at one point to let her retire. Maybe someone from the other side of the pond can fill us in.

EH, so that’s why Florida fills up with Canadian’s each winter, quality of life. :)

Shoving all that snow starts to were a little thin in retirement years, for some people, the wusses!

Where we are in AZ, our little community is about 20% Canadians between the end of OCT to the first of May.... We have an agreement they can come down here to play golf... I go up there to go fishing .... I think I got the short end of the stick this year

Where we are in AZ, our little community is about 20% Canadians between the end of OCT to the first of May.... We have an agreement they can come down here to play golf... I go up there to go fishing .... I think I got the short end of the stick this year

Sounds fair :thumb:

Think of Canada as a nearby wilderness playground.

I was listening to online radio stations from the US a while ago and heard ads telling people where to phone to find a forest near where they live. No problem finding forests up here!

Sounds fair :thumb:

Think of Canada as a nearby wilderness playground.

I was listening to online radio stations from the US a while ago and heard ads telling people where to phone to find a forest near where they live. No problem finding forests up here!

It may be good for you
start at minute 1:45

Thanks my friend. Looks like we will be staying on the river this summer.:banghead:

Definitely a lot of plans getting screwed up this year, but I figure whatever we can't do this year we can do some other time and we'll just find other places to take the boat this year that we might have otherwise ignored or not gotten to until a bunch of years from now.

With the border closure, Seaway locks being closed to recreational traffic, NY Canals in an unknown state due to un-finished construction, etc. we're trapped on the lake. So some of our potential plans are shot for the season, but there are plenty of places on the to-do list that we'll just find some others to do this year and save the ones we can't do for another time. At least with the whole work from home situation, that probably means we'll get more time on the boat, so I can't complain too much.

Reply from CBSA

The Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) is committed to limiting the spread of COVID-19 in Canada, while facilitating travel and trade.

The “Contact Us” is available for the public to ask general questions about the programs and services offered by the CBSA. For privacy and security reasons, the CBSA does not answer e-mails regarding personal or business customs cases or immigration-related situations.

During this time, we are limiting travel to essential travel only. We are asking individuals not to travel at this time if it is not deemed essential.

Non-essential travel includes, but is not limited to: tourism, recreation, and/or sight-seeing.

Essential travel may be defined as, but is not limited to: economic services and supply chains; critical infrastructure support; health (immediate medical care), safety and security; transiting through Canada for essential purposes; indigenous communities; cross-border employment; tending to family matters for essential purposes; and shopping for essential goods such as medication or basic needs.

Note that there are several factors that border services officers (BSO)s must take into account before determining whether a person is admissible into Canada, and each person will be dealt with in person on a case-by-case basis. The burden of proof rests with the foreign national seeking entry to Canada to satisfy the BSO they are admissible in accordance with the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act and Regulations. Complying with documentary requirements does not guarantee entry into Canada.

The following page on the CBSA website provides additional information on this:
http://www.cbsa.gc.ca/travel-voyage/ivc-rnc-eng.html

Please refer to the following website for more information regarding travel restrictions and exemptions due to COVID-19:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigratio...s-covid19/travel-restrictions-exemptions.html

Please be advised that the CBSA Bedwell Harbor port of entry (POE) will open May 1. The hours of operation are from 9:00 to 17:00, 7 days a week. Additional details for this POE are available on the CBSA website at:
https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/do-rb/offices-bureaux/492-eng.html

A Directory of CBSA ports of entry and inland offices can be found at:
http://www.cbsa.gc.ca/do-rb/menu-eng.html

As the issues of quarantine and self-isolation fall under the responsibility of the Public Health Agency of Canada (PHAC), we recommend that you contact them about this matter.

PHAC can be contacted at 1-833-784-4397 or by email at:
phac.covid19.aspc@canada.ca

For the most up to date information on COVID-19, visit:
www.canada.ca/coronavirus.

Should you require additional assistance with your inquiry, we recommend that you contact the Border Information Service (BIS). You can access the BIS line free of charge throughout Canada by calling 1-800-461-9999. If you are calling from outside Canada, you can access the BIS line by calling either 204-983-3500 or 506-636-5064 (long-distance charges will apply). If you call during regular business hours (8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Monday to Friday, except holidays), you can speak to an officer by pressing “0” at any time after you have made a selection of either English or French.

Thank you for contacting the Canada Border Services Agency.
So your only hope of entry is to claim political asylum.
But You guys heading to Alaska should contact them with a plan not to set foot on land while you make the journey

Bedwell Harbor

I believe that there may have been an error in the Canadian Coast Guard post that was recently copied to this thread.

I am an American on an American-flagged boat who has been in BC since before the border closure. I have previously posted about my recent experiences with Canadian law enforcement as I have travelled between Sidney (where I’m moored) and the Gulf Islands National Park Preserve which has remained open for marine and trail access during the crisis. Those encounters have been positive and friendly.

I was in the Park Reserve for four days last week. There is still a significant amount of patrolling going on by Customs and Border, Mounties, and local police. It appears that both the anchorages in the park and routes between the anchorages and Sidney are being pretty comprehensively patrolled for American boats and boaters who will almost certainly be questioned (politely) if they are encountered, as we were.

After having spent around 15 days total over the last six weeks in the park, we did not see a single other American boat. As I said, this includes last week.

The coast guard PR indicates that the Bedwell Harbor Point of Entry (which is immediately adjacent to the Park Reserve) will be open on May 1. While this might be true for returning Canadians, I don’t think that American boaters should count on being able to clear into Canada through Bedwell Harbor just now.

My understanding is that except for essential and exempt individuals, travel by citizens of one country into the other is currently prohibited through May 21. This would include an American attempting to enter into Canada by boat through Bedwell Harbor. What happens after May 21 is anyone’s guess.

Finally, I’ll report that BC is about to begin a rolling opening of provincial marine parks. I won’t wade into the weeds of whether that’s a good thing or a bad thing.

I believe that there may have been an error in the Canadian Coast Guard post that was recently copied to this thread.

I am an American on an American-flagged boat who has been in BC since before the border closure. I have previously posted about my recent experiences with Canadian law enforcement as I have travelled between Sidney (where I’m moored) and the Gulf Islands National Park Preserve which has remained open for marine and trail access during the crisis. Those encounters have been positive and friendly.

I was in the Park Reserve for four days last week. There is still a significant amount of patrolling going on by Customs and Border, Mounties, and local police. It appears that both the anchorages in the park and routes between the anchorages and Sidney are being pretty comprehensively patrolled for American boats and boaters who will almost certainly be questioned (politely) if they are encountered, as we were.

After having spent around 15 days total over the last six weeks in the park, we did not see a single other American boat. As I said, this includes last week.

The coast guard PR indicates that the Bedwell Harbor Point of Entry (which is immediately adjacent to the Park Reserve) will be open on May 1. While this might be true for returning Canadians, I don’t think that American boaters should count on being able to clear into Canada through Bedwell Harbor just now.

My understanding is that except for essential and exempt individuals, travel by citizens of one country into the other is currently prohibited through May 21. This would include an American attempting to enter into Canada by boat through Bedwell Harbor. What happens after May 21 is anyone’s guess.

Finally, I’ll report that BC is about to begin a rolling opening of provincial marine parks. I won’t wade into the weeds of whether that’s a good thing or a bad thing.

From what I have read, tourism to included cruising is in Phase 4 in the Canadian reopening plan. The May 21st reopening is looking to be extended until at least June 21st. Phase 4 may not start until September depending on the data on the virus.

I just received the following regarding the May long weekend from the Canadian Power and Sail Squadron:
To all Nanaimo Power and Sail Squadron members

Please stay off the Water this May Long Weekend
We have just received an urgent request, jointly issued by Canadian Coast Guard, Destination BC, Emergency Management BC, and the US Coast Guard. The full wording of the request is given below. We ask all CPS members to observe this request.

Recreational boaters and operators of non-motorized watercraft in British Columbia are being asked to avoid unnecessary travel, continue to observe public health guidelines, and proceed with common sense and good judgment if they choose to go on the water over the May long weekend and this boating season.

The Canadian Armed Forces, Canada Border Services Agency, Canadian Coast Guard, Indigenous Services Canada, Parks Canada Agency, RCMP, and other federal partners, Destination BC, Emergency Management BC, and the United States Coast Guard are working together this spring to ensure all mariners on the water stay safe and are observing COVID-19 protocols laid out by the BC Provincial Health Officer and Government of Canada.

A temporary restriction on all non-essential travel at the Canada-U.S. border is in place until May 21, 2020. Boaters travelling across international borders for non-essential purposes, including recreation and tourism, will be turned around. Mariners entering Canada for essential purposes must isolate for 14 days if they have symptoms of COVID-19 or, if not exempted, quarantine themselves for 14 days if they do not have symptoms.

Recreational boaters are also reminded that now is not the time to visit small communities on the British Columbia coast. Many communities, particularly First Nations communities, remain closed to visitors to protect themselves from the spread of COVID-19. If boaters must travel, they should be prepared to be self-sufficient as they may not have access to fuel, supplies and other services on their trip.

If boaters have been in close contact with someone with COVID-19 or are feeling sick, please don’t get on a boat. In a marine emergency, boaters should let emergency responders know if they have any flu- like symptoms when they call for assistance.

We are all in this together: for boaters this means observing federal and provincial health guidelines around cleaning, social distancing and practicing good hygiene; as well as being prepared by carrying all mandatory safety equipment, wearing a personal flotation device, leaving a trip plan with someone on shore, and avoid taking unnecessary risks on the water.

Although worded nicely (asking instead of mandating), this does not sound (at least to me) like they want us on the water anytime soon.

Last edited:
I don't get the endgame, the long term outcome here. Zero cases - fantastic. Then what? Shut down the border and rec boating for months. The rest of the year. Until 2022. Until 2025. Then what? I don't mean to start a public policy debate, I really don't, no point, but I don't get the long term objective with these zero case enclaves and border closures and rec boating bans.

Ignoring you cherry picked comment. LOL

The queen will not step down in agreement with you. I thought there was a proposal put for Charles to step aside at one point to let her retire. Maybe someone from the other side of the pond can fill us in.

Neither will happen. The Queen will die with her (nearest equivalent to boots) on, as abdicating, to her, is 'unthinkable', and yes, the crown will pass to Charles, for the same reason.

PS. RTF, you go wash your mouth out, and stop knocking the royal losers, I mean family. I might be a would-be Republican myself, but I still have a soft spot for 'the family', as Charles and I are practically brothers, in terms of time of arrival on this planet.

Last edited:
Greetings,
Mr. PB. Anne and I are only 16 days apart.

iu

She is the one on the right, I believe...Without the bridle.

Ha! Thank you for the clarification.

We renamed our previous boat Courtship because I work for the courts, my wife is an attorney, it was our romantic getaway spot pre-kids, and we bought the boat on the same day William and Kate were married. Seemed like a big deal at the time. God save the Queen.

I don't get the endgame, the long term outcome here. Zero cases - fantastic. Then what? Shut down the border and rec boating for months. The rest of the year. Until 2022. Until 2025. Then what? I don't mean to start a public policy debate, I really don't, no point, but I don't get the long term objective with these zero case enclaves and border closures and rec boating bans.

The idea is to buy time to figure out how to deal with it better and less intrusively without risking a public health disaster.

Back
Top Bottom