Canada Shuts Down Border

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well this just sucks. Can't go north, can't go south. Had to cancel our airline tickets to see the grand kids.....

This is going to be really hard on the marinas, lodges, restaurants in the gulf islands and beyond who really rely on the American boat traffic every summer.

I feel really bad for the smaller operators, especially up in Desolation, the Broughtons etc. who already run on a shoestring!

This is going to be really hard on the marinas, lodges, restaurants in the gulf islands and beyond who really rely on the American boat traffic every summer.

I feel really bad for the smaller operators, especially up in Desolation, the Broughtons etc. who already run on a shoestring!

No worse than we feel about not being there!

No sausage rolls from Barb's; no more croissant from Mon Petit Choux��

Do you think the San Juan islands' anchorages will be a little crowded this summer?:eek:

Unfortunately BC's COV19 cases are increasing. Some pundits hollering about why the Chinese air corridor remained open as long as it did. AZ, especially where we live, is statistically a safe haven. Probably a blessing for us that BC closed the border. Safer here, currently.

It would have been fun to see Ketchikan and Juneau without cruise ships. So much for this year's cruising season. The business lost will prove devastating though for those communities not to mention AK tax revenue.

Well maybe another summer on the river......

C'mon, relax, this will be the new normal.
"This sucks" should be used by the now 20% unemployed, not those who can't get at BC dungeness.

That's just mean, just mean!!!:D

Hey Admin dude, can you merge the two posts together????

You guys that plan to visit BC by water should contact our customs when you are close to the time and see if they are allowing access. This will have exceptions come into play sooner or later.

We (Canadian boaters) and our maritime businesses will really miss our US visitors and friends this summer (unless something miraculous happens)!
If I looked hard for small positives, maybe the reduction in fishing of all kinds will help with some of the at risk species? However, I realize that in reality, sport fishing takes only a very small percentage of the overall catch.

On another issue, Canada just recently announced reductions to the daily and possession limits for prawns and shrimp reportedly due to pressure from the commercial and aboriginal sectors and it actually has nothing to do with "conservation" apparently. If I remember correctly 125 daily and 200 possession are the new limits. When questioned on this move, DFO (Fisheries) would not supply any information or evidence to support this move.

What about those transiting to Alaska? Would they be allowed if they promised to scoot up the Inside Passage quickly?

Nanaimo YC just sent a letter canceling all reciprocity. I would have expected no less, but it was a nice letter.

Well this just sucks. Can't go north, can't go south. Had to cancel our airline tickets to see the grand kids.....

San Juans? South Puget Sound? Hood Canal?

*Lures Tom up the Columbia again with Alaskan Amber promises*

Unfortunately BC's COV19 cases are increasing. Some pundits hollering about why the Chinese air corridor remained open as long as it did. AZ, especially where we live, is statistically a safe haven. Probably a blessing for us that BC closed the border. Safer here, currently.

It would have been fun to see Ketchikan and Juneau without cruise ships. So much for this year's cruising season. The business lost will prove devastating though for those communities not to mention AK tax revenue.

Mostly likely due to increased testing. As of today BC has 231 cases based on over 17,000 people tested of 5 million, a rate of 0.34%. The entire US has tested 56,000 people out of 327 million a rate of 0.017%. So we have likely found more cases because we’ve tested a larger sample of the population.

And the US is closed now anyway unless you can somehow prove your trip is normal commerce etc. maybe things will settle down by July but I’m not optimistic. Two years running we’ve had to divert summer cruise plans to Desolation and points north due to circumstances beyond our control (did make it to a Chatterbox however). Right now thinking of Octopus Islands Marine Park is to Dream the Impossible Dream (hum along).

Nanaimo Yacht Club is my favorite reciprocal yacht club! Thanks for the memories.... :)

Nanaimo Yacht Club is my favorite reciprocal yacht club! Thanks for the memories.... :)

I will miss the dinghy dock pub. Watching the blow boats drag anchor across the New Castle anchorage.

If you are in the Vancouver area, also use the Deep Cove Yacht club reciprocals, I bet you have them. I lived in Deep Cover before moving over to Vancouver Island and sadly it has become a very trendy place. People don't know what to do, so they go to Trip Advisor for some suggestions and Deep Cove pops up.

But its still a neat place to go. You just have to pay attention to the currents under the First Narrows Bridge (Also called "The Iron Workers Memorial Bridge" something like 17 died when building it) a little bit more seriously than the currents under the Lions Gate bridge, but people come and go all the time. If you were a sailboat, you can request to have the train bridge raised, which is beside the Second Narrows bridge.

You will be cruising into an area called Indian Arm and is the most southerly fjord in North America. I like to call it "The Poor Man's Desolation Sound." Poor man's because it is closer to Vancouverites (thus less fuel) and like Desolation because it is a fjord like the Sound.

And if you go, buy a donut (doesn't look like a donut) at "Honey's," they are famous. Honey's is about a 40 yard walk from the public pier and just a snort more from the Deep Cove Yacht Club.

If you don't have a reciprocal, you can anchor up to two weeks and the bottom is good. My one local tip, when you come in mostly everyone uses the anchoring area to the left as your returning to the Cove. Instead anchor on the right, there will only be a couple of boats there. The ride from your dinghy to the public pier will be all of one minute.

PS: mostly locals go to Deep Cove as people like yourself (Americans) want to moor at a marina in the downtown area so they can shop and stuff. The locals don't need that experience so instead they go to an area that is in the city but feels more like Desolation Sound.

Live View of Deep Cove: [Oh and another reason to anchor on the right side of the Cove as you enter it is this. Do you see those boats at anchor on the left side - but in the live cam, on the right - well in the summer there will be hoards in Kayaks, some very experienced, others first time out paddling in and around them. The Camera is actually located on Deep Cove Canoe and Kayak center]

https://www.deepcovekayak.com/live-cove-cam/

Last edited:
Another thing to consider on BC's coast;

First Nations are blocking road access to their villages to protect the elders. Spanish flu hit North American indigenous people much harder than people of European ancestry, so you can't blame them. Many fuel stops are on First Nations land.

Last edited:
Tofino's mayor was on the tube saying visitors wouldn't be welcome there, and remember this is a tourist town that relies on tourist dollars. She said they just don't have the medical resources to handle significant medical problems, barely enough for their own people. Squirrel's Cove has asked that folks don't visit them for the same reasons although you can go into the recessed bay, just don't dingy into the store and restaurant area.

Tofino's mayor was on the tube saying visitors wouldn't be welcome there, and remember this is a tourist town that relies on tourist dollars. She said they just don't have the medical resources to handle significant medical problems, barely enough for their own people. Squirrel's Cove has asked that folks don't visit them for the same reasons although you can go into the recessed bay, just don't dingy into the store and restaurant area.

Will take some thought and planning if cruising BC this summer.

Back
Top Bottom