Canada just closed border 16 Mar 20

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rsn48

Guru
Vessel Name
Capricorn
Vessel Make
Mariner 30 - Sedan Cruiser 1969
The Canadian Border is/or will be, the announcement is just happening as I type this, closed to all except Canadians and Permanent Residents. I know this will impact some of your plans, let's hope this measure helps to reduce the virus spread and it is relatively short term. I will add more as I gleam more details.

CBC quotes Trudeau as saying that as of now it doesn't apply to U.S. travellers, if I'm interpreting his quote correctly. I did the bolding of text.

Canada is barring entry to all travellers who are not Canadian citizens or permanent residents, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau announced today — one of a set of extraordinary new measures being introduced to stop the spread of COVID-19.
There will be exceptions for air crew, diplomats, immediate family members of citizens and, "at this time," U.S. citizens, Trudeau said.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/cb...reening-trudeau-covid19-coronavirus-1.5498866

Not that I'm encouraging travel right now. If I were him I'm not sure I'd exempt inbound U.S. citizens.

I did note that Trudeau is encouraging an orderly return of Canadians from abroad. Good idea to avoid mass gatherings at airports.

Heck come up now, the safest place to be currently is probably Desolation Sound and the Broughtons. Just stay on the hook for a couple of weeks.

Just stay on the hook for a couple of weeks.

I don't think this is all going to blow over in a couple of weeks but certainly hope it does.

How is Mrs Trudeau?
BTW, Tom Hanks is out of hospital here, his wife is still inside.

How is Mrs Trudeau?
Good question. Into 5th day so too early for conclusions. Justin however has not been tested as yet. I expect he will before the 14 days are up.

We are in California on a road trip right now. As soon as we get back I am all for loading up and heading out to get away from people. I would rather self quarantine on the boat out in the islands.

Heck come up now, the safest place to be currently is probably Desolation Sound and the Broughtons. Just stay on the hook for a couple of weeks.

Was out fishing with a friend from the island and that is exactly what we were thinking! Maybe just keep going north to stay ahead of the crowd as summer progresses!

How is Mrs Trudeau?

A cousin in the RCMP is on the Trudeau family security detail. He and his entire family have been quarantined. He has just tested negative but must remain isolated with his family for the full 14 days because he might be carrying, I’m told. Sophie is doing well, by all accounts. Justin, I understand, is self-isolating but has not tested positive.

Latest: States and Canada working on closing the border to non-essential types, flow of goods to continue.

White house just announced the border is closed except for trade.

Ted

Trump tweeted it. Couldn't wait for a coordinated announcement...

And what actual difference does that make? As soon as it was agreed upon, the announcement should have been made. Time delay only inconveniences more people.

Ted

And what actual difference does that make? As soon as it was agreed upon, the announcement should have been made. Time delay only inconveniences more people.

Ted

Announcement like that with little information creates confusion. Directions at this time should be fulsome and understandable.

Ted

It is indicative of a unilateral attitude at a time when maximum international cooperation is needed. Either that or it is incompetence. Neither is good for us and the world.

Nothing this administration does is thoughtful and considered, it’s all done in haste without planning or foresight. The professionals are long gone from the WH staff and the replacements are in over their heads and are just winging it.

The impression given is that of only looking as far ahead as the next news cycle not to the weeks and months ahead. They appear to be reacting, not getting ahead of the situation with a well thought out plan and then executing that plan efficiently and professionally.

Last edited:
I just watched Justin Trudeau make the announcement. My goodness, what a calm empathetic demeanor. He seemed compassionate and caring. I think the only time he mentioned himself was when he went in to get his coat! You got the feeling that none of this was about him and that the most important people there were the Canadian people and that he truly cared what happened to them.

So very hard to not comment on comparing one leader to the other, but then I'd get a note from the moderator.

Oh Trudeau, just like a puppy, such a snuggly kind of fellow!

It is indicative of a unilateral attitude at a time when maximum international cooperation is needed. Either that or it is incompetence. Neither is good for us and the world.

Nothing this administration does is thoughtful and considered, it’s all done in haste without planning or foresight. The professionals are long gone from the WH staff and the replacements are in over their heads and are just winging it.

The impression given is that of only looking as far ahead as the next news cycle not to the weeks and months ahead. They appear to be reacting, not getting ahead of the situation with a well thought out plan and then executing that plan efficiently and professionally.

:banghead:

From the Waggoner Guide:

https://waggonerguide.com/covid-19-and-boating-in-the-northwest/

"We talked to a CBSA and they confirmed that boaters from the U.S. may not cross the border for purposes of pleasure. Now the U.S. border is also closed. We are not sure how long this closure will last? Please check with Customs before making any plans. You can find their numbers online or in the Waggoner Cruising Guide in the Customs section at the front of the book."

OMG! This was a closing of a border between to allied nations to stem the transmission of a virus, for God's sake (hmmm, don't know if you can say that around TF members with TDS, without it being considered a hate crime :confused:).

But seriously, this is a light switch event. When its time to open the border back up, it should take about 5 minutes to send out all the emails. No embassies were closed; no diplomats were ejected; no barriers will be erected; thousands of troops won't be sent to the border; and the RCMP will still get to ride share with the USCG.

Summer can't get here fast enough. If this is what gets your panties in a knot, you need to spend some more quality time doing boat bonding.

Ted

In hindsight, the deleted posts, mine did cross a line.
I do my best to keep politics out of here. that photo has been all over the net intended as humor. when an unnamed party said closet, it just seemed to fit.

Back to your regular programming.

Folks, please remember the rules prohibit posting political and derrogatory comments. If the past posting trends continue, we'll have no choice but to close this and similar threads that some folks are actually seeking helpful information from.

Please post in the TrawlerForum tradition of apolitical accuracy and kindness.

Thanks from the TF Site Team

I read that Canada will reconsider the border closure in 30 days. Probably same on the US side. That gives them time to consider options. Those of you planning a summer trip should wait and see. Common sense suggests exceptions would include those in boats, self isolated most of the time should not be barred from cross border travel.
Marinas and any landfall can have their own regulations. Have heard refuge cove asking people stay away, but that leaves a lot of space in Desolation Sound.

So now Trump wants to place troops at the Canadian border. So hard not to comment...so very very hard!!!

So now Trump wants to place troops at the Canadian border. So hard not to comment...so very very hard!!!

https://globalnews.ca/news/6735064/c...ada-us-border/

American government officials inside Donald Trump’s White House are actively discussing putting troops near the Canadian borders in light of U.S. border security concerns around the coronavirus pandemic, sources tell Global News...

Nearly 20,000 people crossed into Canada from the US in 2018, according to official government statistics. US Border Patrol statistics show they apprehended 4,316 people crossing from Canada to the United States in 2018.

The Trump administration policy stems from fears any irregular crossers may be carrying COVID-19.

As of March 25, there are currently more than 63,000 confirmed COVID-19 cases in the United States.

At the same time in Canada, there are 1,959.

'Nuff said :D

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom