Can/US border crossing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A truer comparison would be California vs Canada about the same population. I have no idea how the covid19 between the two would compare. I’m not into judging covid19 mine vs yours.

Population California..............39,500,000
Reported Covid-19 cases............856,559

Population Canada..................37,800,000
Reported Covid-19 cases............191,310

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Border opening aside, the current STAT numbers for Canada are horrible. The two week average change in deaths for all of Canada is +258.7% as of today's date. No other developed country or US State is currently even close to this %. What is going on up North? :eek:

Ken Sanders is in a very good place, Alaska. STAT numbers for AK for average two week change in deaths -85.7%. :thumb:

BTW, we are seeing very good protocols and cart cleaning where we are.

Oh oh, I bet I'm in big trouble for tossing this up. :hide:
There is a reason most sources compare rates per 100,000 instead of percentages.

Furthermore, changes in sample size have a dramatic impact on the variability of the measure even if we assume that the underlying process is the same.

The US is a magnitude larger than Canada population wise. And magnitudes higher on infected population. The variability of tested positive numbers between Provinces is magnitudes as well. Percentage changes don't accurately reflect trends unless on a moving average.

I notice that we are quick to blame on the upside of the infection curve and slow to praise on the downside. Likewise, a few great days don't reflect the genius of leadership and a few poor days don't mean the populace is acting poorly

Remember when this effort was to "flatten the curve"?

Apparently we are going to be introspective upon any sinusoidal wiggles too.

Inflating and deflating is at the whim of the govts.
Witness: body count during the Vietnam war and I suspect even now.

so why is Mexico so much different? We are heading south to visit Crusty. No worries crossing the boarder according to him.

There is a reason most sources compare rates per 100,000 instead of percentages.

Furthermore, changes in sample size have a dramatic impact on the variability of the measure even if we assume that the underlying process is the same.

The US is a magnitude larger than Canada population wise. And magnitudes higher on infected population. The variability of tested positive numbers between Provinces is magnitudes as well. Percentage changes don't accurately reflect trends unless on a moving average.

I notice that we are quick to blame on the upside of the infection curve and slow to praise on the downside. Likewise, a few great days don't reflect the genius of leadership and a few poor days don't mean the populace is acting poorly

Remember when this effort was to "flatten the curve"?

Apparently we are going to be introspective upon any sinusoidal wiggles too.

Yes, I understand what you are saying.

My post was about Canadian trending deaths, which currently has many knickers in a twist in QC. Hopefully the Canadian death trend, whether expressed as a number, % or graphically will quickly show improvement. STAT is a pretty decent resource (Johns Hopkins, WHO and UK data compilations) and one of a small data group the medical professionals I deal with use as a go to site for extremely detailed geographical comparatives.

so why is Mexico so much different? We are heading south to visit Crusty. No worries crossing the boarder according to him.

Sonora is not doing very well regarding new Covid19 cases and related deaths. Stay out of the bars ;)

Yes, I understand what you are saying.

My post was about Canadian trending deaths, which currently has many knickers in a twist in QC. Hopefully the Canadian death trend, whether expressed as a number, % or graphically will quickly show improvement. STAT is a pretty decent resource (Johns Hopkins, WHO and UK data compilations) and one of a small data group the medical professionals I deal with use as a go to site for extremely detailed geographical comparatives.
As you know, Canada is very provincial. Kind of like how some states are more "united" than others.

I think Quebec has solidified their "nation within a nation" status with their response to COVID to Canadians in other provinces.

Phenomenal rate of over 1000 per 100K.

[QUOTE

Ken Sanders is in a very good place, Alaska. STAT numbers for AK for average two week change in deaths -85.7%. :thumb:

Statistics, got to love it, being partially undead !

Last edited:
Border opening aside, the current STAT numbers for Canada are horrible. The two week average change in deaths for all of Canada is +258.7% as of today's date. No other developed country or US State is currently even close to this %. What is going on up North? :eek:

BTW, we are seeing very good protocols and cart cleaning where we are.

Oh oh, I bet I'm in big trouble for tossing this up. :hide:

Tom:

You have correctly pointed out that even here in Canada, we still have problem areas. We can not address those problem areas by our Federal Government closing borders, and naturally, the closure of the Canada US border has no impact.

Similarly, your country's problem areas cannot be corrected with a closure of your country's borders with Canada or Mexico, but must be addressed internally.

It is hoped by many that you will soon be in a better position to deal with this pandemic.

Traveling back and forth is not an issue. We practice safety protocols and the locals do too!
In fairness, we really dont go out to populated areas unless its for shopping. We have a casita her in San Carlos for the last 40 days getting the boat ready to head south. So we have isolated ourselves for the most part. Almost all businesses are open, but they are struggling. Tourism is definitely down, significantly impacting there lives.

I’m not gonna get into the politics of this issue, but we are going to continue with our cruising plans, just modified the plans a bit. And as of right now, almost no restrictions all the way down through the canal.

Be safe, but be smart.

Cheers

We will see if alcohol will kill any bad bugs.....

You might consider getting a current, written test.

Don't know at the moment.

But with the blistering speed of 7.6kts, All this crap should have cleared up and Macaulay Culkin will be President!!

Can he move the boat back to US waters w/o a problem?
We have been traveling via Auto and Air back and forth, its a long way from San Carlos to San Diego by our boat.
No issue’s taking the boat back to the states and tons of boats are heading south as we speak, as well as over a hundred coming from the other direction, just from the Panama Posse roster. So i suspect that lots more that are not involved with the Panama Posse.
Such as Baja Ahah, Cubar and a few other groups.

And this is the view from our Casita. Its rough I know!

Attachments

• B952F2F6-1FDE-48BE-8D7F-1465FF511ABE.jpeg
    B952F2F6-1FDE-48BE-8D7F-1465FF511ABE.jpeg
    151.9 KB · Views: 25
John,
I don't know how you and Tracey stand it there? it looks very unappealing :)
Now that I am over my jealousy, have fun and stay safe.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom