Closed Thread

Old 02-07-2023, 07:01 PM   #961
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold Duck View Post
Kinda lost the essence of the thread. The people on this forum are not a good slice of the general public. Whether you hate or love cruise ships is immaterial. We are more adventurous and tend to live out our dreams. The millions of regular people will never venture out as most of us have or will. These are the ones who will keep the cruise industry alive and well, living out their form of adventure on a big cruise ship with well organized excursions. There are millions more of them than us. As far as the deals, they are always offering deals to those they think they can entice to add to their client list, but the millions of passengers they have hooked with long range plans only think they are getting a deal. I wait until the last minute because I am flexible usually creating a good “deal” environment. If the thread is still going in April, I’ll give you a report on our one way cruise from Hawaii back to the mainland.
Regarding: "If the thread is still going in April"

Even C-19 can't kill off this thread! Looking forward to learn of your Hawaii criuse...
Old 03-10-2023, 08:37 AM   #962
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Covid or a variant???? https://www.ndtv.com/feature/over-30...e-ship-3849537
Old 03-10-2023, 08:40 AM   #963
Guru

City: Northport
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Neither.
Old 03-10-2023, 09:41 AM   #964
Guru

City: Boston Area
Quote:
Since there were no respiratory complications, my guess would be a Norovirus.
Old 03-10-2023, 09:46 AM   #965
Guru

City: Southern Maine
Vessel Model: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
Norovirus? I had one of those on a cruise once.

Edit: RT, you beat me to it!
Old 03-10-2023, 02:23 PM   #966
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
I would have thought with the frequency of novovirus outbreaks on ships that it would be quite straightforward to diagnose and identify. Perhaps this "Mysterious Illness" is just another example of sensationalistic journalism akin to "Murder Hornets".
https://www.cbsnews.com/pictures/mur...united-states/
Old 03-10-2023, 03:18 PM   #967
Guru

City: Stratford, CT
Vessel Name: Blue Moon
Vessel Model: Mainship Pilot 355
RT, those hornets scare the heck out of me. Last summer trimming some hedges, I didn't realize there was a wasp/hornet nest a foot or 2 below where I was trimming. a single sting on the back of my hand, blew up my arm from elbow down for a couple weeks. Eating benedryl like candy along with topical creams had little affect. I am not particularly allergic to my knowledge, but that damned little bug ruined a couple weeks of prime boating season last year.
Old 03-10-2023, 05:29 PM   #968
Guru

City: Boston Area
"While the CDC has not listed a specific virus, Princess Cruises said in a statement the cause was likely norovirus."

https://kswfoodmicro.com/2023/03/10/...xas-norovirus/
Old 03-10-2023, 07:04 PM   #969
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Good old Ruby Princess! Thought they`d change the name, but no. She put 600 Covid infected people ashore in Sydney in 2020.
Seriously, 300 cases of norovirus? C`mon! Majestic Princess last November infected 800 pax plus an unstated number of crew, and kept cruising.
Old 03-24-2023, 01:11 PM   #970
Guru

City: Tacoma, WA & Ashland, OR
Vessel Name: boatless, ex: Seeadler
Vessel Model: RAWSON 41
Some of you who have sailed British Columbia waters will be familiar with the Hakai Institute on remote Calvert Island--and the others should be. They produce a remarkable magazine on maritime matters. Here's a recent article on the cruise industry.
Old 03-24-2023, 02:31 PM   #971
Guru

City: Northport
We are scheduled for an Alaskan cruise in June - if I can remember I will post back on it.
Old 03-24-2023, 07:04 PM   #972
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaProf View Post
Some of you who have sailed British Columbia waters will be familiar with the Hakai Institute on remote Calvert Island--and the others should be. They produce a remarkable magazine on maritime matters. Here's a recent article on the cruise industry.
Thanks for the link.

In this case: Much needs to occur [become correctly acted upon] that can make humans and nature and port residents compatible. Toward interactions with nature's conditions and coordinating with port inhabits... the cruise industry NEEDS to Get Real.

Cruise lines are another instance of humans not thinking clearly; therefore, too often incorrectly taking advantage of circumstances at hand.

In effect - Civilization needs to "Get Real" - in what we do and how we act! Before it becomes too late. I'm confident you know as to what I imply, regarding future climate and environmental conditions.
Old 03-24-2023, 08:54 PM   #973
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116 2008
Quote:
All we can do is, maintain shots,, be careful, wash your hands a lllf and be careful .