Closed Thread

Old 06-11-2021, 06:42 PM   #681
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLD View Post
It sounds like a pretty successful cruise given the factors involved.

My wife and I would never, even in the best of times, cruise on another ship with 4 - 6,000 people. With retirement pending in the next year or so, we are still looking at another two years until a possible cruise. And it would be on a smaller ship of less than 1,000 passengers.

I'm curious to see what happens in Florida with cruises in the upcoming year. Seems to me the Governor's plan to prohibit cruise lines from having passengers prove they are vaccinated is a huge potential problem for the industry. Having unvaccinated passengers on a cruise ship seems like a concern for cruise line employees as well as something that would undermine confidence of vaccinated passengers.

Jim
Several have indicated plans to ignore the Governor and follow CDC. As a Florida business owner, I've consulted, and my lawyers tell me the Governor's order can not be enforced. As employers we have the right and responsibility to do what we feel is necessary to protect our customers and employees. All our employees are vaccinated and masks are still required in our stores as is distancing.

Gets more interesting with the fact the cruise ships are foreign entities.
Old 06-11-2021, 06:43 PM   #682
Guru

City: West Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
95% vaccinated means 70 are not. 10% ineffective rate on 1330 means another 133 are not protected so a total on board of 200 not protected by vaccination.
Thanks.
Old 06-12-2021, 08:33 AM   #683
Guru

City: Oconto, WI
Vessel Name: Best Alternative
Vessel Model: 36 Albin Aft Cabin
I started this thread 16 months ago. I have added to it a couple times and think it might be time to add once again.

Yes, the cruise industry will probably survive. we don't have to like it, and most T.F. members appear to dislike the cruise industry. But, it will probably survive.

It is already greatly changed and will probably have to change some more. Maybe it will become less offensive.

Now lets pick on the mega cargo ships out there. Sinking, blocking the Suez canal, burning, losing cargo containers, etc. I cringe overtime I see a picture of one, a disaster waiting to happen, or just waiting for the right storm.

pete
Old 06-12-2021, 11:56 AM   #684
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Meisinger View Post
I started this thread 16 months ago. I have added to it a couple times and think it might be time to add once again.

Yes, the cruise industry will probably survive. we don't have to like it, and most T.F. members appear to dislike the cruise industry. But, it will probably survive.

It is already greatly changed and will probably have to change some more. Maybe it will become less offensive.

Now lets pick on the mega cargo ships out there. Sinking, blocking the Suez canal, burning, losing cargo containers, etc. I cringe overtime I see a picture of one, a disaster waiting to happen, or just waiting for the right storm.

pete
And ports jammed coming and going so many having to resort to air freight. Biggest immediate threat to economy is supply chain and ocean shipping is a huge cause of supply chain problems when put on top of the shut downs at various times around the world. Huge container shortage. Prices rising due to the shortages. So a storm of a different kind, too.
Old 06-12-2021, 09:10 PM   #685
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Meisinger View Post

pete
Seems to me the cruise industry is understandably desperate to survive. Desperate people can do desperate things. I`m wary of the industry, wary of what it might do, and as things stand wary of cruising again. I would not presume it`s survival, nor presume it`s demise.
The Covid issue affects cargo ships. Several times ships have arrived here with Covid onboard, necessitating provision of treatment, and ship quarantine. We do what we can and the ships leave. some ships, and crews, are in a parlous state. It`s a greater problem to confront elsewhere, where there are less facilities in less developed countries, eg in the Pacific.
Old 06-12-2021, 09:48 PM   #686
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
To save economies and lives... Leading nations should [basically they need to] spend the capital necessary to supply ample medications so the world in general can be "inoculated" against Covid 19.

Then the flow of items can resume. I'm more careful to not die on HYW. C-19 will become another "O Crap" I got that bug this year. Sure some will still die - but - it's guaranteed something will eventually get cha! I'll take my chances and live life at full forward speed!!
Old 06-13-2021, 02:56 PM   #687
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
Seems to me the cruise industry is understandably desperate to survive. Desperate people can do desperate things. I`m wary of the industry, wary of what it might do, and as things stand wary of cruising again. I would not presume it`s survival, nor presume it`s demise.
The Covid issue affects cargo ships. Several times ships have arrived here with Covid onboard, necessitating provision of treatment, and ship quarantine. We do what we can and the ships leave. some ships, and crews, are in a parlous state. It`s a greater problem to confront elsewhere, where there are less facilities in less developed countries, eg in the Pacific.
Cruise ship arrived not yet ready for passengers but with many tons of Cocaine on the 6th of June.
Old 06-14-2021, 12:15 AM   #688
Guru

Quote:
Cruise ship arrived not yet ready for passengers but with many tons of Cocaine on the 6th of June.
Converting to cargo!
Old 06-14-2021, 07:46 AM   #689
TF Site Team

City: MX, thru Canal to Bahamas
Vessel Name: Muirgen
Vessel Model: 50' Beebe Passagemaker
Quote:

But what they failed to mention, was that were 6 each, 8' long 2" x 4"'s hidden in that cargo of cocaine!
Old 06-14-2021, 08:28 AM   #690
Guru

City: Gulf Islands, BC Canada
Vessel Name: Sea Sanctuary
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4588
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowgoesit View Post
But what they failed to mention, was that were 6 each, 8' long 2" x 4"'s hidden in that cargo of cocaine!
Where were the 2x4 sniffing dogs.
Old 06-14-2021, 12:45 PM   #691
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowgoesit View Post
Sadly, was informed this morning of a family owned business of nine hardware and building supply stores. Seems they were somehow oblivious to lumber prices until every board they had sold, since their prices were far below others. Now business for sale as they aren't going to invest what it would cost to restock their inventory. They just decided this was the time to escape.
Old 06-14-2021, 10:20 PM   #692
Art
Guru

Quote:
Sadly, was informed this morning of a family owned business of nine hardware and building supply stores. Seems they were somehow oblivious to lumber prices until every board they had sold, since their prices were far below others. Now business for sale as they aren't going to invest what it would cost to restock their inventory. They just decided this was the time to escape.
"Seems they were somehow oblivious to lumber prices until every board they had sold, since their prices were far below others."

That is way beyond weird to have happened to a family who owns nine building supply stores. With that many stores there would be levels of officials [family or otherwise] who surely must have heard what's going on for drastically increasing lumber and other building material prices.
Old 06-15-2021, 12:33 AM   #693
Guru

City: Gulf Islands, BC Canada
Vessel Name: Sea Sanctuary
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4588
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
"Seems they were somehow oblivious to lumber prices until every board they had sold, since their prices were far below others."

That is way beyond weird to have happened to a family who owns nine building supply stores. With that many stores there would be levels of officials [family or otherwise] who surely must have heard what's going on for drastically increasing lumber and other building material prices.
Or it may have been the best business move possible. They liquidated above costs and have a viable business to sell.
Old 06-15-2021, 05:17 PM   #694
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post

Ah but more to the story. Family fighting and drew every dollar out of the company and two older brothers refusing to put any back in so behind on paying for what they had and couldn't purchase more. We'll take over tomorrow and a lumber truck already loaded and on the way. Younger brother great but two older ones from father's first wife are jerks and all votes went 2-1.
Old 06-15-2021, 05:19 PM   #695
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soo-Valley View Post
Or it may have been the best business move possible. They liquidated above costs and have a viable business to sell.
They were going to either sell or declare bankruptcy after stripping all cash out.
Old 06-16-2021, 01:07 AM   #696
Guru

Quote:
They were going to either sell or declare bankruptcy after stripping all cash out.
So more to it than timber prices.
Why is the price of timber rocketing? There is shortage here too, lots of demand from spending on house renos now we can`t travel.

Had a few days in a nice B & B visiting what passes here for The Blue "Mountains" near Sydney,snowed quite heavily there( it does a couple of times a year),noticed the November 2019 "Ruby Princess" labels on the suitcase.
Old 06-16-2021, 07:19 AM   #697
Art
Guru

Quote:
You purchased the business?
Old 06-16-2021, 08:48 AM   #698
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
Why is the price of timber rocketing? There is shortage here too, lots of demand from spending on house renos now we can`t travel.
A lot of factors. First, heavy buying during the pandemic. Then housing start ups boomed late 2000. On top of that the winter freeze and power outage in Texas affecting mills. Then the pine beetles in Canada destroyed enough trees to build 9 million homes. Plus it takes over 2 years to start a new sawmill. So, quite a combination of factors.
Old 06-16-2021, 12:16 PM   #699
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
Quote:
A lot of factors. First, heavy buying during the pandemic. Then housing start ups boomed late 2000. On top of that the winter freeze and power outage in Texas affecting mills. Then the pine beetles in Canada destroyed enough trees to build 9 million homes. Plus it takes over 2 years to start a new sawmill. So, quite a combination of factors.
Don't forget the ongoing softwood lumber dispute between Canada and the US, which most Americans don't even know exists. The WTO (and NAFTA) have ruled repeatedly in favor of Canada, but the US keeps the tariffs in place, more or less.
Old 06-16-2021, 12:28 PM   #700
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Spy View Post
Don't forget the ongoing softwood lumber dispute between Canada and the US, which most Americans don't even know exists. The WTO (and NAFTA) have ruled repeatedly in favor of Canada, but the US keeps the tariffs in place, more or less.
Not the only shortage impacted by tariffs.
Closed Thread