Old 12-02-2022, 10:02 PM   #861

City: Discovery Bay
Vessel Name: Cold Duck
Vessel Model: MS 350 Trawler, 1997
Gawd Art, you've had enuff for all of us. Hope she is feeling better. I feel incredibly lucky as I am the one who usually gets everything, Dingy Fever, Typhoid, Shingles, pneumonia, you name it. I'm high risk at 74 yrs old, but I figure I just don't have enuff years left to waste hiding out. I certainly, don't want to demean those that choose to hide out and be cautious, it's got to be a personal decision, the right answer for each of us.
Cold Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 12:48 AM   #862
Guru

City: Gulf Islands, BC Canada
Vessel Name: Sea Sanctuary
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4588
@Art, Sorry it took so long for me to express my sadness about you & your wife experience. I got distracted and missed your post. My thoughts are with you and wishing a final speedy recovery for your wife and no more repeat events.
My wife and I have tested positive once after being infected by a friend who must travel. Thankfully, we are well vaccinated and only felt flu like symptoms. It was concerning to say the least. Now I do wonder about lasting, recurring issues and side effects every time I get a sniffle or a cough.
Got to live every day like it could be the last sunset.
SteveK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 01:05 AM   #863
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Thanks to all who posted concerns! C-19 is not to be fooled with! Get shots etc... Be careful!!

Go boating. Covid can't swim!!
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 10:59 PM   #864
Art
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
Best wishes to Mrs.Art. I had antivirals, tested negative briefly after completing the course, then positive again. Keep managing it, ready to push the panic button if you need to.
We successfully avoided the virus for nearly 3 years, wave after wave, but were positive within 6 days of boarding a cruise ship. Lesson learned, the hard way. Negative now but still somewhat symptomatic, GP says your immune system is shot afterwards, watch for opportunistic infections.
Thanks for asking Bruce... As answer to your concerned PM: Good and bad +/-. Linda got over C-19. Then pneumonia took hold. She's on anti biotics. Weak, but all in all doing better that the depths of C-19 a week or so ago. Six more days on anti bios. Then... maybe... she'll get a clearing of the illness barrage that struck her hard since we flew back from FL. So far... I'm remaining A-OK. Can't find a nursing hat that fits! LOL
Old 12-09-2022, 01:18 AM   #865
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Art,my GP said the immune system is "shot"(? exhausted) post Covid, predisposing to other infections. I`m on antibiotics too, fortunately not as ill as Linda. Hope it goes well.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2023, 08:34 PM   #866
Guru

We emailed Carnival/Princess 4 times regarding our unsatisfactory experiences and requesting cancellation of a cruise booked for May23. No response at all.

Eventually we found and used a cancellation page.

There are some "good" deals available, eg 17 night Cunard cruise from Singapore to Sydney, balcony cabin, flights to Singapore, 2 hotel nights pre cruise. $4000 AUD. It may suggest difficulty filling ships.
Friends just caught Covid on a cruise ship this month. We are "living with" Covid these days (some are still "dying of"), zero restrictions, but it appears prospects of infection rise significantly on a cruise ship. At present, for us, not worth the risk.

This online search result accords with my thoughts:

"Is there any COVID on cruise ships?
Cruise ships and COVID-19

Although operators have taken steps to improve infection control, cruise ships continue to experience COVID-19 outbreaks, affecting passengers and seafarers. The confined setting on board and combination of multiple households enables COVID-19 to spread faster than it is able to elsewhere."

Old 01-23-2023, 08:48 PM   #867
Guru

Here`s a snapshot of Covid on cruise ships. It`s still there. The Tier rating depends on the ship disclosure. Our November cruise was Tier3.
Tier level

Vessels

Tier 3
High impact to vessel
There are a lot of cases on board (100 or more positive cases per 1,000 people) and/or the vessel is unable to maintain critical services due to staffing or resource shortages.
No vessels currently.
Tier 2
Moderate impact to vessel
There are quite a few cases on board (30-99 positive cases per 1,000 people) and/or the vessel’s staffing or resources are impacted. However, it can safely maintain critical services.
No vessels currently.
Tier 1
No - low impact to vessel
There are very few cases on board (less than 30 positive cases per 1,000 people), and there is no impact to critical services such as healthcare, engineering, cleaning, food and beverage.
Carnival Splendor
Arriving Sydney 25/1/23
Updated 23/1/23
Pacific Adventure
Arriving Sydney 24/1/23
Updated 23/1/23
Ovation of the Seas
Arriving Sydney 24/1/23
Updated 23/1/23

When I checked this site several days back, although ships were arriving, there were no Tier 1 ships listed.
Old 01-25-2023, 11:29 AM   #868
Guru

City: Bay Saint Louis, Mississippi, (or where the anchor drops)
Vessel Model: 1973 42 Bertram MY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benthic2 View Post
I wonder if we are more susceptible to the more mundane infections and viruses because we have been so isolated. For 2 years we weren't riding in crowed elevators, touching public restroom doorknobs and being sneezed on in the subway. Is it possible our immune systems got lazy and will need some time to get back into fighting shape ?
Unfortunately, there may be another explanation. Time will tell.

https://www.rintrah.nl/the-trainwrec...mune-response/

http://https://www.rintrah.nl/new-ev...gh-infections/
Old 01-25-2023, 11:57 AM   #869
Guru

City: Oconto, WI
Vessel Name: Best Alternative
Vessel Model: 36 Albin Aft Cabin
I'm not sure if we will ever be free of Covid, my guess is probably not.

Even if we are free of Covid there are plenty of reasons for me to hate these monsters.

pete
Pete Meisinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 12:02 PM   #870
Guru

City: Newport, R.I.
Vessel Name: Hippocampus
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 42
G9 the first citation is bad pseudo science. First the initial sentence is wrong. With peanut allergies only 22% will outgrow it or no longer be allergic regardless of therapy. Same range of numbers for bee sting.
Second in multiple studies vaccines and subsequent boosters decrease the risk of death, ICU admission and serious illness. Current thinking is repetitive vaccination produces a reasonably durable T-cell response. The nonsense about IgG3 or 4 is irrelevant. What’s important is phase 4 and epidemiology studies consistently showing benefits in decreasing death and serious illness rates. As a poster here has said “science doesn’t care what you believe “.
Your second link doesn’t work so no comment made.

May I suggest you read
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/21124094/ To further understanding of IgG4
Hippocampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 12:06 PM   #871
Guru

City: Northport
Port Canaveral is reporting record numbers of cruise passengers - never seen before numbers....

https://www.mynews13.com/fl/orlando/...new-year-s-eve
smitty477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 03:47 PM   #872
Guru

City: Bay Saint Louis, Mississippi, (or where the anchor drops)
Vessel Model: 1973 42 Bertram MY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippocampus View Post
G9 the first citation is bad pseudo science. First the initial sentence is wrong. With peanut allergies only 22% will outgrow it or no longer be allergic regardless of therapy. Same range of numbers for bee sting.
Second in multiple studies vaccines and subsequent boosters decrease the risk of death, ICU admission and serious illness. Current thinking is repetitive vaccination produces a reasonably durable T-cell response. The nonsense about IgG3 or 4 is irrelevant. What’s important is phase 4 and epidemiology studies consistently showing benefits in decreasing death and serious illness rates. As a poster here has said “science doesn’t care what you believe “.
Your second link doesn’t work so no comment made.

May I suggest you read
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/21124094/ To further understanding of IgG4
Time will tell.
Old 01-25-2023, 06:45 PM   #873
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty477 View Post
Port Canaveral is reporting record numbers of cruise passengers - never seen before numbers....

https://www.mynews13.com/fl/orlando/...new-year-s-eve
Smitty, noting your consistent pro cruise advocacy,are you associated with the cruise industry?
On the issue of immune systems being degraded by isolation leading to susceptibility to infection. My GP`s advice post Covid was: take care, your immune system will be "shot" post Covid, you`ll readily catch things. So, don`t forget the role of Covid itself in increased susceptibility
Old 01-25-2023, 07:12 PM   #874
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. BK. I think your GP's use of the word "shot" may be an overreaction BUT I also think constant exposure to "bugs" does help strengthen one's immune system. So there is a modicum of truth in his statement.

Both my wife and I have had the full range of Covid inoculations, our yearly flu shot and any other vaccines recommended by Health Canada (shingles, for example). We still mask in some indoor venues in spite of the "looks" we get.

I was never a fan of cruises as such, although we DID do a 5 day riverboat cruise on the Yangtze, and even before Covid it was not unheard of for a norovirus break out on cruise ships. Not for me, thanks.
Old 01-25-2023, 10:16 PM   #875
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
Mr. BK. I think your GP's use of the word "shot" may be an overreaction BUT I also think constant exposure to "bugs" does help strengthen one's immune system. So there is a modicum of truth in his statement.

Both my wife and I have had the full range of Covid inoculations, our yearly flu shot and any other vaccines recommended by Health Canada (shingles, for example). We still mask in some indoor venues in spite of the "looks" we get.

I was never a fan of cruises as such, although we DID do a 5 day riverboat cruise on the Yangtze, and even before Covid it was not unheard of for a norovirus break out on cruise ships. Not for me, thanks.
We were a fan of cruising, from 2014 on. But lost our enthusiasm, having avoided Covid 100% until we boarded tested -ve, infected 6 days into our November 2022 cruise. Compounded by poor services onboard post infection and promises after not fulfilled. Starting with transport home. We were abandoned during/after disembarkation.We didn`t even pass through Immigration.

I think my GP meant that after fighting off Covid, the immune system was depleted. Maybe something to do with taking antivirals? I promptly developed a bacterial respiratory infection, requiring simple antibiotics.

If Covid disappears, we will reconsider cruising. Covid is way nastier than common cruise ship spread illnesses.
Old 01-26-2023, 05:08 AM   #876
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Old 01-26-2023, 08:43 AM   #877
Guru

Quote:
Smitty, noting your consistent pro cruise advocacy,are you associated with the cruise industry?
On the issue of immune systems being degraded by isolation leading to susceptibility to infection. My GP`s advice post Covid was: take care, your immune system will be "shot" post Covid, you`ll readily catch things. So, don`t forget the role of Covid itself in increased susceptibility
I did not realize that posting links to 'facts' meant I was pro or against anything.
No, we have no relationship to the cruise industry nor any of the industries or business's that are affected by the cruise lines.
The title of this thread is/was - "will the cruise industry survive"
The cruise industry is recently reaching new highs per this article.
Old 01-26-2023, 08:50 AM   #878
Guru

Quote:
We were a fan of cruising, from 2014 on. But lost our enthusiasm, having avoided Covid 100% until we boarded tested -ve, infected 6 days into our November 2022 cruise. Compounded by poor services onboard post infection and promises after not fulfilled. Starting with transport home. We were abandoned during/after disembarkation.We didn`t even pass through Immigration.

I think my GP meant that after fighting off Covid, the immune system was depleted. Maybe something to do with taking antivirals? I promptly developed a bacterial respiratory infection, requiring simple antibiotics.

If Covid disappears, we will reconsider cruising. Covid is way nastier than common cruise ship spread illnesses.
We know many folks that could not easily avoid covid and had bouts with it numerous times. In most all of these cases there not a GP saying their immune system was "depleted" with the exception of folks that had known
autoimmune disease.
Old 01-26-2023, 08:54 AM   #879
Guru

City: Stratford, CT
Vessel Name: Blue Moon
Vessel Model: Mainship Pilot 355
I assumed Smitty was just someone who likes cruises, not attached to the industry. Facts are not always facts however. I'm not sure the article states that the cruise industry is reaching new highs. It does state that it's a record for that particular port for this reason:

Port officials said the primary driver of the record number of people heading on and off ships stems from the fact that the port is home porting and accommodating more ships. The ships there are also larger than the ones sailing in 2019 and can accommodate more people.

I will agree that it's a sign that the industry is at least "surviving" if not thriving.

Personally, I've never been a fan. Wife and I went on our only cruise a year ago. It was a small boat (~100 people including crew) in Alaska. After avoiding Covid for a couple years and double vax and double boost, we both had Covid by the end of the cruise despite the protocols they had in place. I can't imagine being on board with many 1000's of guests. But to each his own, not criticizing or judging anyone who enjoys it.
Old 01-26-2023, 10:28 AM   #880
Art
Guru

Disease-Transfer; i.e., Person to Person - Incubation = Crowded Areas: e.g., boats/ships, planes, malls, theaters, busses... That is the true picture. Wanna good chance of staying healthy??? - Stay away from confined areas with lots of peoples! That simple!