Old 07-21-2022, 08:05 PM   #761
Guru

City: Warwick RI
Vessel Name: Lollygag
Vessel Model: 34 Mainship Pilot Hardtop
I did a 3 month cruise of AK on a fishing boat where I worked 18hrs a day in summer of 85
Lollygag1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2022, 08:59 PM   #762
Guru

City: Walkabout Creek
Quote:
Originally Posted by backinblue View Post
I suppose a big cruise ship Art? What part of AK? I just returned from a very small boat cruise out of Juneau. Happy to share my experiences and advice if it's relevant to your upcoming trip. Don't feel bad, embrace it and enjoy it!

I'm curious what outfit & trip, and how you liked it. I see all of them when we are out and about, and wonder how they are. We went on a Nat Geo/Lindlbad cruise here with about 30 people 10 or 12 years ago and it got us hooked.
Old 07-21-2022, 09:41 PM   #763
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Here`s a snippet from a financial report:
"Shares of cruise lines dropped after Carnival said it would sell $1 billion of new stock. Carnival fell $1.24, or 11%, to $9.85 and was the biggest laggard on the S&P 500. Royal Caribbean Group and Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings were also among the index's top decliners."
Not sounding positive. They must have lost vast $ income while still carrying expenses. No surprise they are running cruises back to back even with Covid occurring on board.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2022, 10:57 PM   #764
Guru

City: Boston Area
I would think their expenses would be minimal during covid. No fuel if the ships are stationary, no wages other than skeleton crew, reduced insurance since no passengers..... The biggest is probably the debt service on their new ships, but the banks aren't going to want to foreclose so probably very willing to renegotiate.
Benthic2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2022, 12:20 AM   #765
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: AZZURRA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
Here`s a snippet from a financial report:
"Shares of cruise lines dropped after Carnival said it would sell $1 billion of new stock. Carnival fell $1.24, or 11%, to $9.85 and was the biggest laggard on the S&P 500. Royal Caribbean Group and Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings were also among the index's top decliners."
Not sounding positive. They must have lost vast $ income while still carrying expenses. No surprise they are running cruises back to back even with Covid occurring on board.
Let’s take a good look at what this really means. Carnival is raising a billion dollars of cash by selling additional stock, why? Is it because they expect to burn through cash to stay alive, or do they see an opportunity to acquire capital assets at fire sale prices? The Market sees a significant number of new share holders that will now be sharing the same old company profits, this means less revenue per share so naturally Market made an adjustment.

What if Carnival acquires several competitors and doubles its revenue? The Market will quickly go up. Stock price fluctuations are so short sighted that you can’t really read anything into them.

I do not like boom or bust investments. I would never invest in a cruise line or an airline for that matter. I can’t understand what people see in cruises, add to that the potential for mass illnesses. Yet, I see people rushing back to go cruising. I don’t think the industry is dead.

The truth is more likely that we here on TF do not understand the mind of the average middle class worker who lives in Kansas City and has never seen the Ocean except for the one time he/she went on a cruise.
tiltrider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2022, 01:19 AM   #766
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiltrider1 View Post
Let’s take a good look at what this really means. Carnival is raising a billion dollars of cash by selling additional stock, why? Is it because they expect to burn through cash to stay alive, or do they see an opportunity to acquire capital assets at fire sale prices? The Market sees a significant number of new share holders that will now be sharing the same old company profits, this means less revenue per share so naturally Market made an adjustment. .
Of course. Existing stockholders get diluted by new shares/stock being sold, probably to an institution in this case. A good company doing that would offer stock to existing stockholders at a similar issue price to avoid dilution. Even so,the company has 1Bn. more in capital,or (more likely) 1Bn less debt.

Cruise lines, having lost 2 years of revenue while still incurring expenses, have to be hurting. Qantas, a relatively small airline, says it missed 24Bn of revenue during it`s closedown/limited operation, but its share(= stock here) price only dropped 20%.
Old 07-22-2022, 07:48 AM   #767
Guru

City: Stratford, CT
Vessel Name: Blue Moon
Vessel Model: Mainship Pilot 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedtree View Post
I'm curious what outfit & trip, and how you liked it. I see all of them when we are out and about, and wonder how they are. We went on a Nat Geo/Lindlbad cruise here with about 30 people 10 or 12 years ago and it got us hooked.
We were with Uncruise.com on the ship Wilderness Legacy. Began and ended in Juneau. Look it up and I will be happy to provide any addtional info anyone has.
Attached Thumbnails
20220630_161643.jpg  
Old 07-22-2022, 08:13 AM   #768
Guru

Don't wade too far into the political waters Hippo....
Old 07-22-2022, 02:45 PM   #769

City: Corpus Christi
Vessel Model: Willard Vega Horizon
News stories like these don't help cruise lines:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...2-million.html
HTurner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2022, 02:51 PM   #770
Guru

Sad story, but that could happen anywhere, not sure it specifically hurts cruises.
Old 07-23-2022, 02:25 PM   #771
TF Site Team

City: Puget Sound
Vessel Name: Muirgen
Vessel Model: 50' Beebe Passagemaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by backinblue View Post
We were with Uncruise.com on the ship Wilderness Legacy. Began and ended in Juneau. Look it up and I will be happy to provide any addtional info anyone has.

We saw an Uncruise boat/ship in Johns Hopkins Inlet in Glacier Bay. They looked like a much more appealing way to "cruise ship" cruise.
Old 07-23-2022, 04:32 PM   #772
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowgoesit View Post
We saw an Uncruise boat/ship in Johns Hopkins Inlet in Glacier Bay. They looked like a much more appealing way to "cruise ship" cruise.
We were in there a few weeks ago. In fact, they said our boat was probably the first boat allowed to enter when the season officially opened on 7/1. A few big cruise ships came and went that day. They are there about 30 mins for photo ops. We were there all day including some kayaking and hiking on the glacier.
Old 08-09-2022, 10:27 PM   #773
Guru

Financial Report Extract:
"Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings fell nearly 11% after reporting a wider-than-expected quarterly loss. Shares of peer cruise line Carnival Corporation fell 5.4% as pockets of the travel sector struggle to recover from the pandemic"
Not out of the woods yet, it seems.