Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Border Closure Extended

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/can...lair-1.5870109

Old 01-12-2021, 10:40 PM   #2
Guru

City: Qualicum Beach, Vancouver Island
Vessel Name: Capricorn
Vessel Model: Mariner 30 - Sedan Cruiser 1969
By summer I'm thinking you might get into BC if you have been vaccinated and you have a covid test that shows negative.

Old 01-13-2021, 01:46 AM   #3
Guru

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsn48 View Post
By summer I'm thinking you might get into BC if you have been vaccinated and you have a covid test that shows negative.
That is a very optimistic view. There is a new app that you can put in your age and other criteria and it will tell you when to expect to get a vaccine.
For example, if you are over 70 and have no other positive reasons to advance your position in the queue, you should expect to get your vaccine by the end of May. If you have someone in your crew who is younger than that, you will be later.
That is a Canadian app, so you can also expect that in the US, things may not move at the same speed.
Old 01-13-2021, 02:32 AM   #4
Guru

City: Gulf Islands
Vessel Name: Soo Valley
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 36
Thanks Keith, here is my place in line. There is hope.
Quote:
Based on your profile, you could be in Stage 3 of the national guidelines for the COVID vaccine rollout. There are between 11,704,258 and 22,456,373 people in front of you in the queue for a COVID vaccine across Canada.
But if I am alive in a year it gets better
Quote:
Based on your profile, you could be in Stage 1 of the national guidelines for the COVID vaccine rollout. There are between 0 and 5,146,151 people in front of you in the queue for a COVID vaccine across Canada.
Old 01-13-2021, 08:04 AM   #5
Guru

City: Gibsons, B.C.
Vessel Name: Island Pride
Vessel Model: xxxx
I strongly suspect that with the rate of inoculations in both Canada and the USA the border closings will continue. Both countries are way behind inoculation projections by the authorities for various reasons. Couple that with the increasing rate of infections and deaths I see no reason to expect a different result.
Old 01-13-2021, 10:02 AM   #6
Guru

City: Mississippi
Vessel Name: ADAGIO
Vessel Model: CHB Present 42 Sundeck
Thankfully Mississippi just opened up vaccines to all over 65 I'm scheduled for next Monday. Come on down.
Old 01-13-2021, 10:51 AM   #7
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
One can only hope that someone...ANYONE will remember the most economically and socially effective means of containing the spread of the NEXT virus/plague that is coming. Australia and New Zealand seem to have a protocol that is working.

Singapore had formed government a department(s) to deal with the SARS epidemic in 2003 and as a result, the infrastructure was already in place to deal with COVID.
I know that not too many like the proliferation of yet more government but surely there will be some sort of plan for future reference.

To the politicians: Write it down people...... No, you won't remember.

Ontario has just instituted a "stay at home" order supposedly to be enforced by police etc.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toron...rder-1.5871090

We'll see how THAT works.
Old 01-13-2021, 01:21 PM   #8
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
USA has 10 times Canada's population and has been holding at 34 times our number of Covid-19 cases for months.

The Spanish Flu, according to records in England, was 7 times worse in the second year. The biology of viruses and humans hasn't changed since then, and vaccines are slow getting into arms.

Gonna be a while yet.
Old 01-13-2021, 03:02 PM   #9
Guru

City: Bellingham WA
Vessel Name: Hatt Trick
Vessel Model: 45' Hatteras Convertible
I'm not optimistic for this summer....hope I'm wrong.
Old 01-13-2021, 05:28 PM   #10
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Ken,
I still think the border may be opened in off-season time. Opening during the summer would be a plus for business catering to tourism but a bit of an all out party with little control. We think mostly of marine tourism and of course there’s much more general tourism than marine.
But I’m thinking they will consider the probability of big numbers of Yanks flooding over the border when it opens ... far more in summer.
And the border will probably open when the virus is still a significant factor so some thoughts of “social distancing” will be, to some degree an element to be considered.

So I’m think’in the timing of opening will be late fall. Not what Americans (especially those in the PNW want to hear). But I will likely be totally wrong and the border opening timing may have all to do w the general bulk of tourism and money.

North Western Washington State USA
Old 01-13-2021, 08:02 PM   #11
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Let hope. If not, then I will get to Alaska by going through B.C. and spend our $$$ in SE Alaska. I doubt you'll see any cruise ships in SE this year.
Old 01-13-2021, 08:18 PM   #12
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
The Spanish flu ended after a year without vaccinations. People either died or became immune.
Old 01-13-2021, 09:25 PM   #13
Guru

City: Quebec
Vessel Name: Bleuvet
Vessel Model: Custom Built
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
The Spanish flu ended after a year without vaccinations. People either died or became immune.
We love to compare spanish flu plague with current one but there is nothing to compare.
People density was of a different order of magnitude, as was population displacement, as was also life expectancy (maybe difficult to imagine but in Europe beginning of 1900s life expectation for a woman was about 40), as was scientific/medical knowledge etc etc.

L
Old 01-13-2021, 09:32 PM   #14
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
One can only hope that someone...ANYONE will remember the most economically and socially effective means of containing the spread of the NEXT virus/plague that is coming. Australia and New Zealand seem to have a protocol that is working.

Singapore had formed government a department(s) to deal with the SARS epidemic in 2003 and as a result, the infrastructure was already in place to deal with COVID.
I know that not too many like the proliferation of yet more government but surely there will be some sort of plan for future reference.

To the politicians: Write it down people...... No, you won't remember.

Ontario has just instituted a "stay at home" order supposedly to be enforced by police etc.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toron...rder-1.5871090

We'll see how THAT works.
Similar measure in place in Quebec for a week now but like any measure, result can only be looked at if people respect it, what is not exactly the case here.
Last weekend we went to the nearby big name supermarket for few grocery, was the first time I went there since many many weeks (usually we go our grocery from less crowded places). I was amazed to see how much people do not care about the very basic recommendations, just trying to look over your shoulder or packed on each other, not even trying to wait 20 second to respect distances.

Watching this I do not expect much improvement in the near future.

L
Old 01-14-2021, 01:07 AM   #15
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
Interestingly,but unfortunately, that`s the reverse of what`s happening now,except that a lot of people are still dying. Infections are increasing rapidly. Would that the virus would follow the Spanish flu trajectory, but it seems quite unpersuaded to do so.
Old 01-14-2021, 08:22 AM   #16

City: Perth
Reading these posts in Australia...Not sure if you appreciate just how hard you have to hit it if you want the kinds of results that NZ and Australia have achieved.
And it is hard.
Down here, if there are 3 cases of community transmission, State borders get closed. Suburbs get locked down.
We can't leave Aus without a very good reason. And if you do, it's hard to get back in.
I donít think that's going to translate to somewhere that people are affronted by being asked to wear a mask in close company.
I wish it were otherwise, but until people are willing to look out for their neighbours, and sacrifice their right to infect them, this is going to drag on.
Old 01-14-2021, 11:54 AM   #17

City: Everett
Vessel Name: Triton
Vessel Model: 48' Golden Egg Harbor
Im not here to stir the pot, but find it interesting that we cannot bring our boats across, and you cannot walk or drive, but I be dammed I can fly out of Seattle in one hour and be in Vancouver BC in 35 min after take off without much more than a passport.
Old 01-14-2021, 11:57 AM   #18
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonR View Post
Im not here to stir the pot, but find it interesting that we cannot bring our boats across, and you cannot walk or drive, but I be dammed I can fly out of Seattle in one hour and be in Vancouver BC in 35 min after take off without much more than a passport.
Or fly to Mexico for a week and back with just a passport.
Old 01-14-2021, 11:59 AM   #19
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonR View Post
Not exactly:

COVID-19 testing required for people flying into Canada

Starting January 7, 2021, air travellers 5 years of age or older will be required to provide proof of a negative COVID-19 test result to the airline prior to boarding international flights bound for Canada.
Old 01-14-2021, 12:52 PM   #20
Guru

City: Gulf Islands
Vessel Name: Soo Valley
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou_tribal View Post
Not exactly:

COVID-19 testing required for people flying into Canada

Starting January 7, 2021, air travelers 5 years of age or older will be required to provide proof of a negative COVID-19 test result to the airline prior to boarding international flights bound for Canada.
Lou, you are correct but until that change Canadians went on flight holidays. Boat owners could visit their American moored boats for example by flying to Seattle and renting a car, return by plane to Vancouver and promise to quarantine for 14 days.
Americans could fly to Canada as well before 7th and just promise to quarantine.
Pretty lame system. I live under a landing path for Vancouver and air traffic is on the increase.

Closed Thread