Bahamas Locked Down. No one else in.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Now that's a pre-emptive strike and may be very smart. They've had 4 cases reported, no deaths. South Florida has 630 cases and lockdown. US 46,145 with 10,168 yesterday. US 582 deaths with 140 yesterday. Probably a wise move by the Bahamas with people thinking of coming there.

A good move IMHO. We’re in Great Harbour in Berry’s at a friends dock. They were scheduled to fly back to the US on Friday. I guess they’re not leaving. We came prepared to stay until May or ....?

We heard that 4 recreational boats from the US checked into Bimini last night. Hopefully they’ll stay there.

I just can't believe it took them this long to come to that very sensible conclusion.

One of the grocery stores in Bullocks Harbour won’t allow anymore than 5 people in the store at one time. All the restaurants (the few there are) are closed and that was this weekend. My observation is the Bahamians are following the guidance.

A good move IMHO. We’re in Great Harbour in Berry’s at a friends dock. They were scheduled to fly back to the US on Friday. I guess they’re not leaving. We came prepared to stay until May or ....?

We heard that 4 recreational boats from the US checked into Bimini last night. Hopefully they’ll stay there.

Send some pics to us poor folks in self-isolation !

We cleared customs/immigration last week in Great Harbor. Now anchored on the east side of the Berry’s behind Soldier Cay. Very calm weather due to a cold front north of the Bahamas dampening the normal 15 kn east winds. Crystal clear water, great snorkeling, a reef shark circling the boat and fresh lobster for dinner.

Attachments

• 06E22A7E-728F-4D66-BC09-3775A0315BF7.jpeg
    06E22A7E-728F-4D66-BC09-3775A0315BF7.jpeg
    68.2 KB · Views: 65
  • 1595B3A7-4AA1-4FE5-AFA4-C6F40D3B90A9.jpeg
    1595B3A7-4AA1-4FE5-AFA4-C6F40D3B90A9.jpeg
    95.8 KB · Views: 64
  • F5CCC166-EF98-498B-AACA-4C318636C67A.jpeg
    F5CCC166-EF98-498B-AACA-4C318636C67A.jpeg
    89.4 KB · Views: 62
  • 3876F57F-8F1D-4A4E-A184-D90E16143E29.jpeg
    3876F57F-8F1D-4A4E-A184-D90E16143E29.jpeg
    175.6 KB · Views: 80
  • 6D5821E2-8AE5-43F5-9614-B43E18FE1439.jpg
    6D5821E2-8AE5-43F5-9614-B43E18FE1439.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 73
  • 8CAEA0B9-A532-4F45-9381-BFBA412537B7.jpeg
    8CAEA0B9-A532-4F45-9381-BFBA412537B7.jpeg
    118.2 KB · Views: 72
Where is Soldier in relation to Cabbage where we usually overnight?

Soldier Cay is the first anchorage heading south, about 7 miles north of Cabbage. Not the best protection from east swell or anything but east wind. Currently very nice since weather should be calm for several days.

Soldier Cay is the first anchorage heading south, about 7 miles north of Cabbage. Not the best protection from east swell or anything but east wind. Currently very nice since weather should be calm for several days.

Got it. Where next? Through Porgee and down to Exuma?

Damn those are some big lobster!

Pictures to follow, really.

The Bahamians are taking it seriously. A Tropic Air flight from Fort Lauderdale to GHC arrived this morning. They’re allowed to fly in since they fly mixed planes (cargo/passenger). Well there happened to be 5 passengers on the plane from Florida. They never got off the plane. They were turned away for a trip back to FL. Why Tropic Air let them on the plane to begin with is questionable other than maybe the passengers said we’ll pay and take the chance?

Good for the Bahamian Customs! :thumb:

Got it. Where next? Through Porgee and down to Exuma?

Not sure yet. Will stay in Berry’s for a while. Plan was for Eleuthera, then middle Exumas before returning to US. Now thinking we would go to Exumas first until cold fronts start to taper off.

Not sure yet. Will stay in Berry’s for a while. Plan was for Eleuthera, then middle Exumas before returning to US. Now thinking we would go to Exumas first until cold fronts start to taper off.

So your thought is that they are going to let you travel all over the Bahamas like nothing has happened?

I wouldn't be counting on that.

So your thought is that they are going to let you travel all over the Bahamas like nothing has happened?

I wouldn't be counting on that.

Just as other cruisers in the Bahamas, we are not planning to travel ‘like nothing has happened’, rather will strictly follow Bahamian guidelines and mandates.

We have been cruising for 6 weeks, cleared Bahamian customs/immigration 10 days ago and have been at anchor since. Currently at least a mile from 4 other US and Canadian boats. Sufficient for ‘social distancing’? We have fuel, food, water and supplies for 60-90 days, including what’s necessary to return to the US, and do not intend to be a burden.

The Bahamas consist of 100’s of small islands/cays, most uninhabited and separated by lots of water. Easy to be as anti-social as you wish.

The Bahamians are concerned with minimizing social contact and the devastating loss off tourism. We are meeting the first concern and helping a little with the second.

Last edited:
Just as other cruisers in the Bahamas, we are not planning to travel ‘like nothing has happened’, rather will strictly follow Bahamian guidelines and mandates.

We have been cruising for 6 weeks, cleared Bahamian customs/immigration 10 days ago and have been at anchor since. Currently at least a mile from 4 other US and Canadian boats. Sufficient for ‘social distancing’? We have fuel, food, water and supplies for 60-90 days, including what’s necessary to return to the US, and do not intend to be a burden.

The Bahamas consist of 100’s of small islands/cays, most uninhabited and separated by lots of water. Easy to be as anti-social as you wish.

The Bahamians are concerned with minimizing social contact and the devastating loss off tourism. We are meeting the first concern and helping a little with the second.

Agreed. There happens to be over 360 islands in the Exumas alone with only a couple of dozen inhabited.

Go enjoy yourself so long as you are self sufficient!

No sense in letting a pandemic interfere with your vacation plans.

I wonder what will happen in a month or two when there are hundreds of deaths on the islands and locals process the fact that the virus was brought to them by tourists?

No sense in letting a pandemic interfere with your vacation plans.

I wonder what will happen in a month or two when there are hundreds of deaths on the islands and locals process the fact that the virus was brought to them by tourists?

Now then, be nice guys. I figure it is as good a social distancing as you can get being self-sufficient aboard a boat, so cruising from bay to bay is going to threaten no-one. :nonono:

Now then, be nice guys. I figure it is as good a social distancing as you can get being self-sufficient aboard a boat, so cruising from bay to bay is going to threaten no-one. :nonono:

Yes, because panicked people that are seeing their loved ones die horribly are just so rational and reasonable, amirite?

Hey Woodland, you are not up at Cumberland tonight are you?

That thought has been running my head, too.

And, watching all the boaters who flaunted their rules, running for home for treatment, while leaving the Bahamians to cope with it with their very limited hospital resources.

That thought has been running my head, too.

And, watching all the boaters who flaunted their rules, running for home for treatment, while leaving the Bahamians to cope with it with their very limited hospital resources.

Sigh. Once again. Cruisers are following Bahamian requirements, not ‘flaunting’ their rules. Currently, non-critical businesses are closed and, except for a few hours a day, a curfew is in effect. 10 cases of virus to date, 9 on New Providence and 1 on Grand Bahama.

“ON A BOAT IN BAHAMAS NOW: If you are in the Bahamas with a cruising permit, you are allowed to stay in the country until your visa expires. However, in communities, you are encouraged to stay on your boat except for going ashore for necessities like food and fuel or medical assistance.”

President of Exumas Chamber of Commerce:
“No tourists can come in obviously and the ones that are here are mostly boaters,” he said. We have a very large community here. I spoke to a boater on Monday and they were preparing to leave but decided to stay. It was no big deal.”

You can leave but you can’t come in and that includes Bahamian Nationals.

Bahamas Information Service
Source: Ministry of Foreign Affairs
Date: March 27, 2020

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs refers to the press release of the Nassau Airport Development Company (NAD), regarding the Government’s decision to close the borders of The Bahamas, to all incoming passengers, effective 27 March. Planes can come empty to pick up passengers and leave. It is realized that this is likely to result in the dislocation of Bahamian nationals and residents who are abroad and seeking to return home.

We urge you to make direct contact with the nearest Bahamian Embassy, High Commission or Honorary Consulate. The addresses can be found on mofa.gov.bs. If there is no office near you, please contact the Ministry of Foreign Affairs at mofaconsular@bahamas.gov.bs or dgmfa@bahamas.gov.bs or mofabahamas@bahamas.gov.bs.

Sigh. Once again. Cruisers are following Bahamian requirements, not ‘flaunting’ their rules. Currently, non-critical businesses are closed and, except for a few hours a day, a curfew is in effect. 10 cases of virus to date, 9 on New Providence and 1 on Grand Bahama.

“ON A BOAT IN BAHAMAS NOW: If you are in the Bahamas with a cruising permit, you are allowed to stay in the country until your visa expires. However, in communities, you are encouraged to stay on your boat except for going ashore for necessities like food and fuel or medical assistance.”

President of Exumas Chamber of Commerce:
“No tourists can come in obviously and the ones that are here are mostly boaters,” he said. We have a very large community here. I spoke to a boater on Monday and they were preparing to leave but decided to stay. It was no big deal.”

We go to the Bahamas a lot. All I am seeing are Facebook posts from cruisers there, who think they have found one loophole after another, that conveniently lets them do exactly what they what to do.

But, I guess the other side is, why let a pandemic ruin your vacation plans.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom