14 day quarantine required in some ports

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
We are in a resort complex in Mexico. ( Garza Blanca near Puerto Vallarta) One look at the swimming pools makes it clear that people are departing with no arrivals. I would guess occupancy is 30% of what it was when we arrived.

We've been coming here annually for nearly ten years and have friends among the staff. This will be a disaster for them.

We depart tomorrow.

We were in Mexico when the swine flu hit in 2009. The locals really took a hit financially. Your right, this will also be a disaster.

Please let us know how the checkin and your arrival back in the States go. Safe travels.

Greetings,
Mr. CM. That indeed IS a valid concern. I guess we’ll have to see how much humanity still exists. I’m relatively confident that America will come through, yet again, I hope...

There are currently no American exclusions to Canads. Citizens of the US may cross the Canadian Border!
I wish people would read the entire press release from Trudeau instead of stoppong at "border closed to non-essential traffic".

Read the officially published regulation: no non-essential travel, and recreational or leisure travel is specifically defined as non-essential:

"“Non-essential” travel includes travel that is considered tourism or recreational in nature."

Slowly but surely everything is shutting down in Atlanta GA.
Not all banks are open. About the only open are drug stores and grocery stores. Most eating places are open for take-out. Other 'nice' restaurants are closed.
I am not sure about the gas stations.
I went to a friend's gun and shooting range over the weekend .... filled with Asians, further defined as Vietnamese .... buying guns. I dont recall them buying ammo and they sure didn't practice. Seems every time there is a Presidential election, folks buy guns and now this.... This is the 2nd or 3rd time I have seen a rush by the Asians to buy guns.
Small mom and pop places are closed.
My point is, it is not just the ship's crews that are unemployed. Employment is no doubt going to skyrocket. It was reported that CVS drug stores are going to employ 5,000 more people to help out durning the current crisis. Pepsi said they were going to employ 6,000 during the crisis. Do they expect folks are going to drink more Pepsi and eat more potato chips during this pandemic? LOL
Some things just don't make any sense.

Last edited:
Much of US business is in varying stages of lock down or lack of customers. We are lucky that we are an “essential” business, trucking. There is a great deal of uncertainty about the credit worthiness of many accounts. Cash flow for many businesses is quickly decelerating. At least one local bank is restricting cash withdrawals to $5,000.00 per day.

Interesting times. There will be many small businesses that won’t make it. There will be some large business failures as well. Despite all the bad news it is not the Zombie Apocalypse. Life will go on after Covid-19.

We returned to Canada Thursday. No restrictions, but no traffic either. As of Friday midnight, the border is now closed to all but essential traffic. Tourism is specifically NOT essential. Return of residents IS essential. 14 day self isolation is mandatory. NO EXCEPTIONS.
We have had offers from several friends and neighbours to shop for us. We will be taking that help.

Facebook has shown a photo of a group of at least 30 Chinese tourists from Vancouver golfing on the closed Saltspring Course and clearly ignoring the 2 meter Social Distancing. When challenged, one explained "we have not been sick in the last 14 days".
Until this type of attitude changes, the spread of the virus can't be stopped.

We returned to Canada Thursday. No restrictions, but no traffic either. As of Friday midnight, the border is now closed to all but essential traffic. Tourism is specifically NOT essential. Return of residents IS essential. 14 day self isolation is mandatory. NO EXCEPTIONS.
We have had offers from several friends and neighbours to shop for us. We will be taking that help.

Facebook has shown a photo of a group of at least 30 Chinese tourists from Vancouver golfing on the closed Saltspring Course and clearly ignoring the 2 meter Social Distancing. When challenged, one explained "we have not been sick in the last 14 days".
Until this type of attitude changes, the spread of the virus can't be stopped.

I am glad you are back and that you have good friends and neighbors. Umm, they offered to pay for your food too? Suuuuure.

I think the question is, when does the 14 day self isolation start and end? So they have not been sick in the past 14 days, they go out for a day of golf...... does that mean when they go home the 14 day self isolation starts over?
If I remain in my condo for 14 days and go to the grocery store, does it start over again????
If I bought 14 cans of baked beans and 2 pounds of bacon, onion and brown sugar, molasses .... I suspect that need for social distance will be easy to do. LOL

Last edited:
Here in St Barth we real islander.

No more ferry, commercial flight, private boat and plane.
Only cargo are allow to bring freight.

Most of people at home and police give ticket if you out without your document to authorized you

For now only 2 people in quarantine with the virus but not death.

Lot of Caribbean island doing to same.

Some US flag boat stock here can't bring delivery crew here to go back north.

But we well with the family onboard, I have not a minute for me, I have so much to do onboard, I'm happy guy

Doing lot for detail can't made in normal life, so days running fast, our boat going to be perfect after the pandemic

But really this is the first thing built in China that works so long

Be strong and take care about your family

Hugues

Wifey B: Omg, now we're requiring anyone to come to FL from NY or NJ to quarantine for 14 days. :eek:

We're even restricted to NOT leaving our marina now in Florida.

Thanks mostly to the idjits who were partying on the sandbar when Peanut Island Park was closed.

Thanks mostly to the idjits who were partying on the sandbar when Peanut Island Park was closed.

Wifey B: Yep...Palm Beach and Miami Dade. We're allowed in Broward. :)

What do you mean?

Currently, no recreational travel is allowed between the US and Canada.
A boater is considered as entering Canada or entering the US if you tie to a dock, mooring pin, or anchor. You don’t have to actually go ashore to be considered as entering the country.

The exception would be a boat that does not do any of the above on its way through... Does that answer your question?

I believe that if you are truly leaving and not going out for the day...not sure that applies.

People are traveling by roads so I don't think they can legally stop you from relocating a "home"....they aren't stopping RVs from relocating. They can't as places like the Keys are kicking them out.

I am sorry. I have grown tired of all the experts and non-experts talking about doom and gloom.

We are not all going to die. Yea, some will get sick and some will die. Sure we should develop a vaccine but then, the next disease will come along and the near-panic will happen again.

Toilet paper and cleaning supplies will again disappear.
We have got to use the common sense we were supposedly born with.

1. stay away from sick people. IF you have been exposed to the sick people, hide out for a couple of weeks.
2. wash your hands frequently. If you are sick, stay away from other people.

I remember in the late 40s and 50s, on a holiday weekend, the AAA and other experts would predict the number of people killed in auto accidents. We improved the auto and roads and AAA and the other experts suddenly stopped predicting the number of folks killed or injured on a holiday weekend.

Sure, people will still die for various reasons. That is a given.

Should we hang out at sporting events? That was never an option for me. I just dont like being in crowds, especially where alcohol is served..... Way too many drunk idiots in a big hurry to get home.

Use common sense and we will all get through this together.
Now, go wash your hands.

Last edited:
We have got to use the common sense we were supposedly born with.

1. stay away from sick people. IF you have been exposed to the sick people, hide out for a couple of weeks.
2. wash your hands frequently. If you are sick, stay away from other people.

Easier said than done with up to half the people who are infected are asymptomatic and don't know they are sick.

Easier said than done with up to half the people who are infected are asymptomatic and don't know they are sick.

Yup, easier said than done but, do the best you can and use common sense.
The poker game and/or the orgy can be rescheduled.

If Govt won`t tell you to isolate as much as possible, just do it yourself. Stay away from other people, whether those people or you, are sick or are not apparently sick.
A forecast that all will be well by Easter is hard to reconcile and best ignored.

The rational side of me thinks:

Government can't historically regulate common sense and the Precautionary Principal which has been clumsily applied to every other risk in the last 15 years will fail here too.

Hence the lockdowns and eventual erosion of human rights.

An increasingly secular, selfish, consumption culture combined with illogical post-modern philosophy which discard the foundations of our industrial society will result in a tragedy of the commons situation in which old and vulnerable people will perish.

It doesn't take many. A Pareto ratio of 20 selfish people to 80 social distancers can keep this going for quite a while.

The optimistic side of me thinks:

This too will pass.

Our daughter, an RN in big city delivery room, feels net gain conceived newborns due to "isolation" for a period of time will far outpace the worldwide deaths. Mother nature at work.

I'm with you Old Dan and Spy - this too shall pass. As a long time reader of the "Peoples Daily", China is certainly proud of their success and providing considerable aid and expertise to Iran, or say they say.

Yes it will pass, the time required will depend on how much self isolation people do.

In this part of the world, although some are complaining about the government lockdowns, most people are actually doing more to isolate than what is presently required. It seems the general public is leading the government on this one.

Yes it will pass, the time required will depend on how much self isolation people do.

In this part of the world, although some are complaining about the government lockdowns, most people are actually doing more to isolate than what is presently required. It seems the general public is leading the government on this one.

Definitely not happening in the US with the biggest culprits being young people and some religious groups. Young people partying and coming away with virus. Hobby Lobby which for religious reasons closes on Sunday took a stance not to close stores for virus saying God would look after people. With similar attitude Jerry Falwell said fine to open campus of Liberty University.

Levels of compliance good in some areas, not so good in other areas of the country.

As of today, all entry into Alaska, air, land or sea requires a 14 day self-isolation or a fine if $25,000 and/or jail time. A number of the AK ports will require that boats anchor up and not use transient slips. The state legislature authorized the Governor to maintain the mandates until November 15th. He can remove the mandates with a proclamation.
See you next year.

As of today, all entry into Alaska, air, land or sea requires a 14 day self-isolation or a fine if $25,000 and/or jail time. A number of the AK ports will require that boats anchor up and not use transient slips. The state legislature authorized the Governor to maintain the mandates until November 15th. He can remove the mandates with a proclamation.
See you next year.

Not sure about others but, I dont have enough SPAM and canned tuna and canned beans on board.
Have to sneak out under cover of dark to buy food and beer? Dont try it. The cops just might be staking out the grocery stores.... looking for offenders.
Are the locals going into the food delivery business? Put your shopping list on the pier, the locals go shopping and the food on the pier and you come get it in your dingy?

I am not sure of your area but here, Publix have designated 'old fart' shopping hours.... 7am to 8am. People standing at the entrance willing to pay a premium..... Hey buddy, buy me some TP. LOL

Just so happened, I bought 2 cases of MREs, 14 meals in a case. First I have to empty the freezer then, the canned goods and finally, I will hide under the inside steps, shaking in fear, while eating my MREs, with my shotgun at the door, in case the zombies try to break in to steal my MREs.

Last edited:
If you are bored, you might read about the history of the intracoastal waterway.....
Starts here.
History of the Intracoastal Waterway - Part 1
then
History of the Intracoastal Waterway - Part 2

and then the history of the canals in the UK.
and following....
Of course follow it up with the epic cruise on a long boat. There are over 100 video by the narrator, all very well done.

This will occupy maybe 2 or 3 days and you will automatically become the life of the party as you regale the attendees with the history of 2 canal systems on 2 different continents. Oh joy. Of course you may never be invited to another gathering.
This does solve the self-isolation situation. LOL

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom