14 day quarantine required in some ports

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

alfamike

I read this in Latitude 38 magazine article written
By John Arndt
|
March 16, 2020
& this is a copy & paste of part of that article:

FYI :
"Ramifications of the COVID-19 pandemic are expanding daily, as world leaders take unprecedented steps to slow the spread of this illness.
“Yesterday Andrew Glasspool of the Jeanneau 44 Tintamarre shared this info from his yacht agent, Fernanda Rivera M: ‘Good day to everyone. This is very important. The government of Ecuador has just closed all entries to the country, by land, sea and airports. No one will be able to enter the country or arrive in Galapagos in any way. I’m truly sorry about this, but it was just announced today due to the coronavirus having become a pandemic situation worldwide.’
“Ian and Ann of the Allures 45 Tourterelle shared this news about Panama: ‘Yesterday Panama closed its marinas to new arrivals and immigration was closed for both arrivals and departure, and no zarpes are being issued. We did hear today that some boats got zarpes in Flamenco, but that was the only place open. The situation is due to be reviewed next week. So maybe not quite as drastic as the initial information yesterday and it is certainly a fluid situation. We have also been told there will be no small boat transits through the canal for two weeks — after which the situation will be reviewed.’
“Since that report, however, we’re told that transits are still being scheduled.”
As of today, the Cook Islands have closed to yachts through June 30, 2020. It also includes air travel restrictions and a 14-day self-quarantine requirement.
As we all know, the situation is changing rapidly. If you are planning to cast off for some distant port, check-in with your destination first. We understand that New Zealand is currently requiring a 14-day quarantine for new arrivals by air or sea."
So check ahead before you head out.
Thanks.

Alfa Mike :thumb:

Last edited:
I think we're going to quickly see all borders subject to quarantine or to refused entry. There's even talk of moving as far as state borders, but countries seems definite in our future. This is one of the reasons we're not out cruising south of here in the Caribbean as we were worried it would become more difficult.

Yes. I think so. Today Canada closed its border to all but Canadians and “for the time being, Americans”. There is some debate about that “exclusion”.

The issue will be those cruisers going to Alaska. I’m not sure what that will mean if the border is closed. While Canadian waters are open to passage without necessarily clearing customs, that only applies if you travel straight through, non stop. So no stops at shore facilities or even anchoring.

“If you enter Canadian waters, you are not required to present yourself and report your goods to the CBSA if you:

do not land on Canadian soil and do not anchor, moor or make contact with another conveyance while in Canadian waters;

do not embark or disembark people or goods in Canada.”

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-voyage/pb-pp-eng.html

Jim

Yes. I think so. Today Canada closed its border to all but Canadians and “for the time being, Americans”. There is some debate about that “exclusion”.

The issue will be those cruisers going to Alaska. I’m not sure what that will mean if the border is closed. While Canadian waters are open to passage without necessarily clearing customs, that only applies if you travel straight through, non stop. So no stops at shore facilities or even anchoring.

“If you enter Canadian waters, you are not required to present yourself and report your goods to the CBSA if you:

do not land on Canadian soil and do not anchor, moor or make contact with another conveyance while in Canadian waters;

do not embark or disembark people or goods in Canada.”

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-voyage/pb-pp-eng.html

Jim

This will be tough for all the loopers if our American friends are excluded from Canadian travel, they will have to bypass the Trent Severn Waterway and stick to the Great Lakes. That would be a shame if they have never been through the TS before. Things are changing hourly so who knows what the future will bring???

This will be tough for all the loopers if our American friends are excluded from Canadian travel, they will have to bypass the Trent Severn Waterway and stick to the Great Lakes. That would be a shame if they have never been through the TS before. Things are changing hourly so who knows what the future will bring???

I cannot imagine trying to loop this year. If you aren't low enough to take the western leg of the Erie, it's impossible without entering Canada. But there will by that time likely be different rules of what you can and can't do in every state you'd visit. I think you could find yourself confined to your boat at least until June and perhaps all summer.

The government of Ecuador has just closed all entries to the country, by land, sea and airports. No one will be able to enter the country or arrive in Galapagos in any way. I’m truly sorry about this, but it was just announced today due to the coronavirus having become a pandemic situation worldwide.

We got out from Quito on Saturday night at 11:30pm - the airport closed to all incoming foreign flights the next day (so no flights out after that either). We were only made aware of this Saturday lunchtime. Some in our party were planning on staying a couple of days longer but managed to get middle seats on a United flight on Saturday night as well.

As we were travelling between Brazil, Peru and Ecuador we were checked for temperatures etc. (including use of a FLIR camera on the way to Galapagos BTW). When we arrived in Atlanta yesterday morning - nothing. Straight in with no checks. Maybe they were monitoring temperatures behind a one-way window, but we saw nothing.

We got out from Quito on Saturday night at 11:30pm - the airport closed to all incoming foreign flights the next day (so no flights out after that either). We were only made aware of this Saturday lunchtime. Some in our party were planning on staying a couple of days longer but managed to get middle seats on a United flight on Saturday night as well.

As we were travelling between Brazil, Peru and Ecuador we were checked for temperatures etc. (including use of a FLIR camera on the way to Galapagos BTW). When we arrived in Atlanta yesterday morning - nothing. Straight in with no checks. Maybe they were monitoring temperatures behind a one-way window, but we saw nothing.

I heard of someone who got a call and I'm not sure where in the Caribbean they were. They were told no more flights were being allowed in after the next day or so. The people being called then said, "So, they're not blocking people from flying out?" The agent laughed and said, "I guess you're free to fly out later, just one problem, there won't be any planes coming in so none to fly you out."

My county in San Francisco going under lockdown starting tomorrow midnight through April 7th. Is boating an essential service? Just thinking...

If I'm not mistaken, it's this coming fall that the locks in Illinois are scheduled to be closed for maintenance. No boats can get through from something like July to November as I remember it. So boats couldn't connect the loop through that section this year.

On the one hand, that might have made for fewer loopers this year; on the other, maybe some were planning an extended stay in the Great Lakes and TS etc. (then storing boat to winter over and continue in 2021).

Our delivery of our new (to us) boat is scheduled to land in Syracuse around the end of May. My wife and I left a buffer and planned to pick her up and traverse the Trent Severn on our way back to Lake Superior. At this point, I'm keeping all plans in place. Mid June is a long way off. If not, we'll be going the long way I guess!
BD

Recreational boat traffic between Canada and the US is quite small and not the focus, but likely caught up in the big picture directives. The big watches are for cars, commercial trucks and planes - both ways. Watching cameras for the auto lanes at the Peace Arch shows few delays. Commercial lanes a mile east the same.

Tugs and barges between WA and AK continue to travel, without which AK would be in big trouble. Hopefully Seattle and upper NY will get their virus cases under control with no Canada spikes in Vancouver or Toronto.

Success in controlling CV in four metropolitan areas will determine any further cross border tightening and more rigorous controls. The primary watches are retirement and nursing facilities on both sides of the border.

If we go into a lockdown like in the SF Bay Area where 6 counties are completely shutdown, all recreational boat traffic will be banned. Just like all recreational road traffic is banned there now.

Last edited:
Any controls being contemplated in San Francisco for urban camping? Seems logical to contain self induced and overlooked health issues associated with street tents overcrowding and illegal "dumping."

Any controls being contemplated in San Francisco for urban camping? Seems logical to contain self induced and overlooked health issues associated with street tents overcrowding and illegal "dumping."

Our California Governor, Gavin Newsom, has proposed that homeless be directed to motels and hotels during these times. I have no idea how that will be accomplished.

"No Anchoring" ?

What does that do for Canada?

I’m only the messenger. However, if you’re anchored, they think you might be likely to come ashore. Possibly with a shipment of cocaine.

Closing the border between the US and Canada will be difficult, what you might see is more restrictions. The trade between the two countries is massive, google how much trade between Canada and the States in one day, you'll be surprised. Of course not all of it is essential.

And shipping, many items purchased in the States were brought in from the port of Vancouver, the third busiest port in North America. If you google "CN track lines," you will see it is possible to off put an item in Vancouver from a ship and it being shipped to Florida.

In our community in AZ there is a high percentage of Canadian snowbirds. We are seeing a much earlier then normal migration back north, primarily due to their foreign health insurers canceling policies because CV-19. Their understanding is a two week self quarantine upon returning...

We checked into Bimini (Bahamas) yesterday. Immigrations was the first stop (changed March 11). Historically, Customs was first. Questions we’re asked about our travel history but that was it. The area is quite though. We went to a few small stores and they all had typical produce and refrigerated goods for the Bahamas so no real shortages.

We talked to a senior policeman yesterday about the virus. He said that on Sunday the first confirmed case was reported in New Providence. Hopefully the Bahamas will be spared after all they’ve been through.

If we go into a lockdown like in the SF Bay Area where 6 counties are completely shutdown, all recreational boat traffic will be banned. Just like all recreational road traffic is banned there now.

You can boat or take a walk/hike, but can't be with others beyond your immediate household. One can also shop at grocery stores and purchase take-out restaurant food and other life essentials. ROAD TRAFFIC IS NOT BANNED.

Closing the border between the US and Canada will be difficult, what you might see is more restrictions. The trade between the two countries is massive, google how much trade between Canada and the States in one day, you'll be surprised. Of course not all of it is essential.

And shipping, many items purchased in the States were brought in from the port of Vancouver, the third busiest port in North America. If you google "CN track lines," you will see it is possible to off put an item in Vancouver from a ship and it being shipped to Florida.

Whether it's Vancouver or any other port, outside essential items, shipping is about to come to a major standstill and traffic jam. Major stores are closing and won't be taking in goods. Even Amazon is limiting non essential goods they will take into their warehouses. Right now there is a tremendous amount of Chinese goods about to hit the water, but most of it is not needed or wanted now. In fact, talk women's fashion and most of those goods are spring goods. If we had a shutdown or serious slowdown for 2 months it will be the time of year stores close out those goods and get ready for fall goods. We have a lot of fabric on the water. It's on the way to manufacture more spring goods. We should be receiving fabric from Italy right now too. I doubt seriously we'll manufacture any more spring goods. We will go straight to fall. Several of our largest customers are shut down now-Macy's and Bloomindale, Nordstrom. I quickly counted 34 major chains shut down from Apple to Victoria's Secret. Clearly none of them have any idea when they'll reopen or what product they'll need or want. We have a lot of different scenarios planned but no idea which will actually happen.

Outside of grocery stores, commerce is about to come to a stop. It will be interesting if a lockdown only allowing grocery stores and pharmacies to open. What about stores like Walmart and Target, will they be able to sell throughout the store or just in those sections?

You can boat or take a walk/hike, but can't be with others beyond your immediate household. One can also shop at grocery stores and purchase take-out restaurant food and other life essentials. ROAD TRAFFIC IS NOT BANNED.

Well, I was just watching live a normal level of people jogging, biking, walking as if no rule existed. 6' Separation was definitely not maintained.

We checked in yesterday at Great Harbour in the Berry’s. Few signs of corona virus angst here. Customs/Immigration officer mentioned one case in Nassau and cessation of cruise ships. The Nassau Guardian noted that Atlantis Resort (largest private sector employer in the Bahamas) has asked staff to take unpaid leave. It will be tough for a country heavily dependent on tourism, particularly after Dorian.

We plan to stay in the Bahamas through May and trust that we will be permitted to return at that time.

Got any cruises booked Mark? I know your a big fan. I would think they cancelled or postponed any for the foreseeable future.

...I would think they cancelled or postponed any for the foreseeable future.

I think you’re right. We went by Fort Lauderdale on Sunday. There were six cruise ships tied up in side and 1 anchored out. As we went by Miami, it looked like there were 3 inside with 2 anchored out.

Attachments

• 3276C84D-4FF7-445C-898B-107B3E3F0562.jpg
    3276C84D-4FF7-445C-898B-107B3E3F0562.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 47
Of the 5 cruise ships that are homeported in Galveston they are either tied
up, at anchor offshore or at a lay berth else where.

We are in a resort complex in Mexico. ( Garza Blanca near Puerto Vallarta) One look at the swimming pools makes it clear that people are departing with no arrivals. I would guess occupancy is 30% of what it was when we arrived.

We've been coming here annually for nearly ten years and have friends among the staff. This will be a disaster for them.

We depart tomorrow.

I’m more worried about the hundreds of thousands of people who live hand to mouth, with minimal (if any) savings now that their income stream has stopped. We left Atlantis last night. The locals were already getting fidgety, and we have no weapons onboard.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom