Old 07-30-2022, 05:55 PM   #21
PPD

City: Mystic
And I will definitely lean on you for figuring out where everything is and how things are routed throughout the boat.

I hope you can get those 6-71s cleaned up and singing. I’m not experienced with the 3208s but I’ve got another thread going about those and there seems to be some positivity on them when they were used in trawlers and not wound up to 435hp and run WOT all the time.
PPD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2022, 06:00 PM   #22
PPD

City: Mystic
Id be happy to exchange notes and let you know what we find as we go through the process.
PPD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2022, 06:01 PM   #23

City: St Pete
Honestly the diesel surveyor and I sat back and chatted. The exhausts have basically failed (leaking at the barrels under load), there's oil in the coolant (we think owner confused coolant and oil jug) , many oil leaks (he used Rotella 5-30 and not delo 100 as required by Detroit), yadda yadda.... And yet they start instantly and just absolutely run beautifully. He just shook his head... Whaddya gonna do? It's a mess but they're solid. So we'll do all the maintenance and repairs and.... They'll run exactly the same as right now.
chasles22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2022, 07:42 PM   #24
Guru

City: Port Canaveral
It's really amazing the abuse that Jimmies can take, perhaps more so than most 4-strokes, but that's just anecdotal opinion.

I had a 50 ton, 65 footer with twin Gray marines. They were aluminum block surplus WW2 generator set motors. I remember the aluminum was all corroded where the water seals fit on the block. Likely from neglect in coolant and anodes - hence water in my oil when I purchased the boat. After consulting with my mechanic-uncle, I cleaned up the AL, ground them smooth, then reformed them with JB Weld.

Worked like a charm and ran for years and thousands of miles.

Honestly if I ever had to repower a boat, I would not purposely install them again. There are more modern solutions. But they are examples of amazing machinery.
Mako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 10:19 PM   #25
Veteran Member

City: Stuart, Fl
Quote:
Originally Posted by PPD View Post
Chasles - my home port is Mystic CT. I currently have a Luhrs 40 fishing boat we boat when we only had one kid. Before that, we had a 35 Island Packet sailboat.

Im making an offer on this 1984 61. Im hoping we can make it happen.
Curious, what year is your Luhrs? Open or flybridge?
Yachtman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 10:24 PM   #26
Veteran Member

City: Stuart, Fl
Quote:
Originally Posted by PPD View Post
I'm looking for either a Cheoy Lee 61 Long Range Cruiser (1970s-1980s) or a Hatteras LRC (either the 58 or the 65).

If anyone knows of one, in a any condition, please point me towards her.

Thanks
There is a 58 LRC in Ft. Pierce, Fl. On YW.
Yachtman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 06:22 AM   #27

City: St Pete
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yachtman View Post
There is a 58 LRC in Ft. Pierce, Fl. On YW.

That one is a mess. The owner is sick and elderly and the boat is in bad shape. The listing broker told me even a couple experienced boat yard flippers have walked away saying it would need be under 6 figures to make a profit or make it livable.
chasles22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 04:45 PM   #28

City: Hollywood FL
Vessel Name: Y LEE COYOTE
Vessel Model: 55' Cheoy Lee LRC
My 1982 Cheoy Lee 55LRC will be on the market in September should you have interest.
Dakota-Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 05:13 PM   #29

City: Port Ludlow
Vessel Name: Soleil
Vessel Model: Rawson 38
https://www.yachtworld.com/yacht/197...awler-8357929/
Inghamphoto is offline   Reply With Quote