Old 08-03-2021, 06:54 PM   #1

City: Seattle
Arrow STEEL Passagemaker! Looking for 50'-60" PH with Fly

Thank you for looking.

In search of a go-anywhere STEEL pilothouse trawler type Passagemaker with a flybridge. Budget up to $300. Single engine preferred (Gardner, Cat, Perkins) with the fuel range to go offshore for extended periods. Would like 3 cabins, 2 heads with showers. Cosmetics and electronics are not as important as good systems and solid mechanical history. We are ready to purchase, cash deal.

Be safe and Happy Boating!
Old 08-03-2021, 09:14 PM   #2
TF Site Team

City: MX, thru Canal to Bahamas
Vessel Name: Muirgen
Vessel Model: 50' Beebe Passagemaker
You can't have ours! Besides it's fiberglass . . .
Old 08-03-2021, 11:23 PM   #3
Guru

City: Reno, Nevada
STEEL Passagemaker! Looking for 50'-60" PH with Fly

Well drat, more competition [emoji6]

The odds are not good and the goods are odd, to twist an expression. The ones that have been on the brokerage sites in that price range appear to me to be…well, too much a gamble on condition, or not really a passage-maker at all. Add another $150k to your budget and the possibilities increase quite a bit (easy for me to say I know.) If one sees one, it is invariably smaller with two staterooms sleeping three or four, or ridiculously large. I’ve been willing to seriously look at steel as a potential undervalued opportunity in the North American market and they are still that along with wood, just not undervalued enough!
Old 08-03-2021, 11:25 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
Welcome aboard.
Old 08-04-2021, 07:07 AM   #5
Guru

City: Saint Petersburg
Vessel Name: Weebles
Vessel Model: 1970 Willard 36 Trawler
https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/196...awler-3019446/

No flybridge, two cabins,, but ticks other boxes including Gardner diesel. Been for sale for a couple years. Might mean price is negotiable into your price range.

If 3 ataterooms are important, the larger Seahorse Ducks come to mind as they are a aft-stateroom. Of course, that means getting on/off boat sucks compared to a sedan layout such as the link above, but it's a tradeoff.

Good luck

Peter
Old 08-04-2021, 09:42 AM   #6
Guru

There are ones in Oregon and Fort Myers, FL that meet your specs at face value except for the flybridge (I guess since you specifically mentioned it we should consider it a dealbreaker ) Though both are intriguing, after researching them from afar I've decided to not bother to see either one, based on my own wants (and biases.) You might have a different opinion on them.

And then there is the Observer in Port Angeles. It was painfully overpriced before but they've come down, again intriguing but doesn't fit our needs with the lack of a true master stateroom and less-than-easy access between the pilothouse and the foredeck and railing.
Old 08-04-2021, 09:53 AM   #7
Guru

City: Corpus Christi
Vessel Model: Willard Vega Horizon
https://www.infinityyachtsales.com/b...wler-llc/1618/

Here is a video:

Old 08-05-2021, 01:27 PM   #8

Thank you for the suggestion. I have loved and coveted the DD for years and they are near the top of the list. we almost went in on "Jubilee" but it was a bit too cramped for this family of five.
I realize how particular our criteria are and we are willing to settle on a two-cabin layout if there is ample space, much like that lovely 50' passagemaker "Slowgoesit"! A lovely boat for sure but sadly not many of those in steel are available.
Patience is a virtue I suppose
Old 08-05-2021, 01:31 PM   #9

Thanks for the link. I do know this boat and it checks plenty of boxes but our concern is its fuel economy and seakeeping ability in rough offshore conditions. Any experienced operational feedback would be greatly appreciated!
Old 08-05-2021, 01:37 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvweebles View Post

No flybridge, two cabins,, but ticks other boxes including Gardner diesel. Been for sale for a couple years. Might mean price is negotiable into your price range.

If 3 ataterooms are important, the larger Seahorse Ducks come to mind as they are a aft-stateroom. Of course, that means getting on/off boat sucks compared to a sedan layout such as the link above, but it's a tradeoff.

Good luck

Peter
BTW..."Migrant" seems to only have one head. I love that boat and the work the owners did is fantastic.

I have three daughters and little room for compromise there unfortunately.
Old 08-05-2021, 01:44 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvweebles View Post

Good luck

Peter
Thanks Peter! I am sure I know what boats you are talking about and they are exactly what we are looking for in most ways with a few issues here and there. The green one "Banshee" in BC is especially attractive. It has been listed for a LONG time and is currently under offer. She needs about $100k in operational refit work but the two staterooms, in that case, are fine.
If we could find one similar to her (but more realistically priced for condition) we would be happy.

Please keep the suggestions coming! I appreciate all the feedback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskaflyer View Post
There are ones in Oregon and Fort Myers, FL that meet your specs at face value except for the flybridge (I guess since you specifically mentioned it we should consider it a dealbreaker ) Though both are intriguing, after researching them from afar I've decided to not bother to see either one, based on my own wants (and biases.) You might have a different opinion on them.

And then there is the Observer in Port Angeles. It was painfully overpriced before but they've come down, again intriguing but doesn't fit our needs with the lack of a true master stateroom and less-than-easy access between the pilothouse and the foredeck and railing.
Old 08-05-2021, 01:46 PM   #12

Arrow Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comodave View Post
Welcome aboard.
Thank you for the Welcome.
Old 08-05-2021, 01:49 PM   #13

Thumbs up So right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskaflyer View Post
Well drat, more competition [emoji6]

The odds are not good and the goods are odd, to twist an expression. The ones that have been on the brokerage sites in that price range appear to me to be…well, too much a gamble on condition, or not really a passage-maker at all. Add another $150k to your budget and the possibilities increase quite a bit (easy for me to say I know.) If one sees one, it is invariably smaller with two staterooms sleeping three or four, or ridiculously large. I’ve been willing to seriously look at steel as a potential undervalued opportunity in the North American market and they are still that along with wood, just not undervalued enough!
You are so right! I have found the same obstacles. I am on the verge of just going to Norway or Sweden and buying one just out of frustration.
Old 08-05-2021, 02:39 PM   #14
Guru

STEEL Passagemaker! Looking for 50'-60" PH with Fly

Lol. I told my wife we should just change our plans and cruise Europe instead. I love the boats in used inventory over there.

But then we’d endlessly debate finding a trawler yacht that could handle North Sea storms, sleep 8 comfortably and still be French canal capable [emoji6]
Old 08-05-2021, 06:45 PM   #15
Guru

I've also considered "Banshee" but two issues kept bothering me. First, the incredibly ridiculous layout of the staterooms which would require a complete tear-out and rebuild (IMO); and the overprice. But if the seller has found a buyer then good for him.

Regarding Diesel Ducks, have also seriously considered a new build and had many discussions with George B. previously, but I couldn't get over the lack of livability regarding outdoor spaces. Since I don't want a flybridge and prefer to keep the coach roof for solar, there is no covered space outside, no covered aft deck like with a sedan model. Wife really struck that one down.
Old 08-05-2021, 08:53 PM   #16
Guru

City: Mooloolaba
Vessel Name: Flora
Vessel Model: Timber southern cray boat
Have a look at Australia. A series of boats that come up now and again are the Fiddler series. They are about 55 ft Gardner powered (6LXB) a bit boxy looking but roomy, good back deck and fuel efficient. There is possibly one coming up for sale in Tasmania in the near future.
Old 08-06-2021, 05:45 AM   #17

City: Ft. Lauderdale
I am responding collectively to a few of the posts above:

I sold M/V Migrant for her original owner to the owners that did the major rebuild. The original owner was the Guinness family of ale fame and I had the pleasure of working with one of the family members who owned and cruised her for decades.

I believe I have posted here on this forum, forgive me if it was my "other" forum, about the difficulty of surveying and repairing Gardner engines. While they are still probably arguably the most stout engine ever, service and parts are near impossible.

With the budget proposed, although it sounds hefty, the vessel will be older vintage. Make sure you have the budget for the repairs. Even with audiogauging, not all problems can be found proactively. Migrant's owner had no idea he would be spending $1m+ for unforeseen necessary work. Now, of course I'm not saying that all older boats will require that, but just sayin...

While I am a strong proponent of steel yachts, I have concerns over the experience required for owning a vintage one.

You might take a look at "Boats & Harbors." I have subscribed for a couple of years, but they may have something appropriate in your price range.
Old 08-06-2021, 07:25 AM   #18
Guru

City: NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mako View Post

Regarding Diesel Ducks, have also seriously considered a new build and had many discussions with George B. previously, but I couldn't get over the lack of livability regarding outdoor spaces. Since I don't want a flybridge and prefer to keep the coach roof for solar, there is no covered space outside, no covered aft deck like with a sedan model. Wife really struck that one down.
Some/Many of the 462 Pilot House DDs have a cock pit which is really nice and it is, or can be, covered. Figured that is what we would do with a DD. The covered cock pit on a a 462 DD was a major selling point for us.

Later,
Dan
Old 08-06-2021, 07:31 AM   #19
Guru

I haven't seen that layout of the 462. If you have a photo or GA plan please share. However, I remember there was a sedan style DD but it was a Seahorse, so not available to purchase the plans.
Old 08-06-2021, 07:48 AM   #20
Guru

City: NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mako View Post
I haven't seen that layout of the 462. If you have a photo or GA plan please share. However, I remember there was a sedan style DD but it was a Seahorse, so not available to purchase the plans.
Yep, Seahorse was doing the cockpit and cockpit covering for the DD 462 Pilot House. That would not be hard to replicate. Bill just added the cockpit seats/storage and put in the overhead cover and structure. I believe it is all fiberglass, except for the structure of the cockpit cover, which is stainless steel. Some owners have a bimini over the cockpit instead of the fixed fiber glass cover.

Without Bill's cockpit addition, the aft deck of the DD's was ok but kinda lacking in usability. Bill's idea for the cockpit really adds to the DDs.

The YW photos don't have close up images of the cockpit or coverings but there are a variety of covering's shown over the cockpit.

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/202...k-462-1175275/

Later,
Dan

Tags
passagemaker, pilothouse, steel, trawler, wanted