• Trawler Forum Classified Posting Guidelines
    • We expect ads placed to be related to the topic of this forum.
    • Ads that are inactive for 180 days or longer may be moved to the Classified Archive and locked. Ads may be relisted if the item is still current. Alternatively, owners may contact a Moderator to reinstate an archived ad.
    • The Classified section is for advertising, members are asked to refrain from posting discussions to a Classified Ad. Please start a discussion thread or PM the owner for discussions.
    • Do not hijack another member's ad by posting unsolicited commentary. Example: if a member has posted an ad offering an anchor for sale, don't add a post to his thread stating that you have an anchor you'd like to get rid of also. Posts deemed as unsolicited commentary may be removed.
    • For your own security, do NOT include your e-mail or phone number in your ad. Instead request that interested parties contact you via PM (private message) to provide owners contact info.
    • Brokers, Dealers, or those with a commercial interest in a sale are prohibited from posting in Classifieds.
    • Only Trawler Forum Commercial Members may post ads in the Commercial section. You must be a designated Commercial Member to start threads in this section of the forum. (Contact a moderator if you have questions about this)
    • Don't post links to commercial sites where you are also offering the boat, such as eBay, Craigslist or Yachtworld, etc. unless it contains a more in-depth description, additional information or pictures.
    • Place only one ad per item (you may repost only when your ad has expired and been removed).
    For Sale ads MUST include:
    • Asking price
    • Clear statement whether you are the owner or non-owner (posting for friend, relative, or acquaintance)
    • Don't forget to select: FOR SALE, WANTED or FREE in the Title block.
    All ads should also include ALL the following:
    • Pertinent maintenance and condition information
    • Exterior picture or pictures
    • Interior picture or pictures (boats)
    For maximum impact & exposure, it is suggested the Ad Title include: Year, Manufacturer, Model, Length, Price, and Location or at the very top of the ad body. When your item has sold or the ad is no longer relevant: Please post a Reply to the ad that the item is SOLD or click "Report Post" on post 1 of the thread to ask a moderator to archive the ad. Ads may be moved or removed by our staff at any time for any reason. All ads must comply with site rules. Thanks for your cooperation.
  • Avoid Scams.

Our classifieds are free and anyone registered here is welcome to post an ad.
    Be aware that there are unscrupulous folks out there. Avoid any interaction that seems odd to you or �feels� wrong. Inquiries from unknown buyers, buyers �agents� and other non-traditional approaches should be treated with extreme caution.

Beware of unsolicited contacts offering to put you in touch with someone else who is buying or selling via e-mail or text.

Do not post your e-mail address or phone number in a classifieds ad.

Hints that you may be dealing with a Scammer:
    • Seller or Buyer approaches you via a direct email or PM and then steers you to an off-site communication method (text or email).
    • No posts or very few forum posts.
    • Recent forum membership
    • Insists on conducting negotiations via email or text rather than PM
    • Requires payment via Bank Transfer, BitCoin/CryptoCurrency, WesternUnion or other unsecured method.
    • Buyer or Seller suggests Paypal "Friends and Family" payment. Paypal is a good way to arrange payment but an invoice for goods and services should be used rather than "Friends and Family". "Friends and Family" avoids fees BUT there is no recourse if the transaction runs aground. Friends and Family is for gifts only. There is no protection for Friends and Family transactions, so never ever use it to buy something.
    • Declines to allow viewing the item before proceeding with the transaction.

Nordic 32/34 (or similar / welcome to ideas) in PNW

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Greg Salish Cruiser

Vessel Name
Yofi
Vessel Make
Nordic Tug / 32
Hi there - I keep coming back to this boat as the cinderella slipper for my wife and I cruising the Salish sea. We are ready to buy now if we find the right boat at the right price. Yes, I know you can ship them around, but I really would rather not! I didn't think my list was that restrictive, but I am beginning to get discouraged.

Open to ideas for something else from the wonderful hive mind. My checklist:

1. <36' (Have a slip) but a decent couples cruiser
2. single diesel / bow thruster or installable (Former sailor)
3. displacement / semi-displacement (Former sailor)
4. Sturdy build (Lot's of debris up here!)
5. Priced right (Not looking to steal it, just have been on a lot of boats with "unreasonably high self esteem")
6. $$ <150 (This is a preference. Possibly negotiable for the right boat. See #5)

Not afraid of a reasonably sized project, even a re-power (See #5) but I have been at this boating thing a while so...no free boats please.

Tell me if I am being unrealistic!

I have also looked online at Transpac Eagle 32 but they are quite rare.

I also went down the "Buy a tollycraft/or similar fast cruiser and drive it slowly dummy" route for a while. It just seems crazy to buy/maintain two engines if you don't need or want them.:Thanx:

Hi Greg,
When we were shopping we looked at the Eagle as well. I found that the Eagle did not have as much "working room" in the ER as the NT or American Tug. We really liked the American Tug 34 (even more than the NT 32/34) in the single cabin Tug.

The Eagle is rare, much easier to find an AT 34 or an NT 32.

The biggest issue I found with the Tugs is "bow slap". It can be minimized by anchorage selection but it can be almost eliminated with an exterior fibreglass change to the bow area. Many owners have done this with good success. To be honest, on a few nights the noise was bad :eek:
There are other brands of boats that suffer from the same issue.
Good luck with your search.

Hi Greg,
When we were shopping we looked at the Eagle as well. I found that the Eagle did not have as much "working room" in the ER as the NT or American Tug. We really liked the American Tug 34 (even more than the NT 32/34) in the single cabin Tug.

The Eagle is rare, much easier to find an AT 34 or an NT 32.

The biggest issue I found with the Tugs is "bow slap". It can be minimized by anchorage selection but it can be almost eliminated with an exterior fibreglass change to the bow area. Many owners have done this with good success. To be honest, on a few nights the noise was bad :eek:
There are other brands of boats that suffer from the same issue.
Good luck with your search.

Thanks Tom - I am pretty well convinced that the AT or NT is the right boat. The AT's seem to be out of my price range though. (Newer)

I am hoping some of the old salts around here can give me other ideas as well. There is an eagle 40 in the area but that just seems too big. Thanks for taking an interest.

I owned a NT37 which we loved . Originly, we had a hard time deciding on a boat during the time we were shopping. We always kept going back to the NT. A yacht loan broker gave me advice which sealed the deal for me. She told me buying a Nordic tug was a zero risk purchase due to the fact that if we changed our minds later about wanting a different boat, the NT would sell quickly at market value. 6 years later, she was correct. We sold it for roughly the same price we paid for it.

Nt 32

I owned a NT37 which we loved . Originly, we had a hard time deciding on a boat during the time we were shopping. We always kept going back to the NT. A yacht loan broker gave me advice which sealed the deal for me. She told me buying a Nordic tug was a zero risk purchase due to the fact that if we changed our minds later about wanting a different boat, the NT would sell quickly at market value. 6 years later, she was correct. We sold it for roughly the same price we paid for it.

Wait, you trusted a yacht broker? And she was right? Kidding of course. Many good ones out there. A few very bad apples to support the stereotype. These boats do seem to hold their value well, particularly the ones that are a little older. Why did you sell her?

No one likes negativity/know it all expert/wise assss etc. Also why is it that when a person states they do not want to get in your business the next thing from they mouths is telling you how to handle your business ? With that said here I go. Your budget is not going to allow you to buy a NT or AT ! It will allow you to buy a older GB or like kind, with engine hours and teak/leak problems etc. I have owned only two boats of any size in my life, a 1971 GB woody and a 2006 mainship 34. Have you considered the MS?

Nt 32

No one likes negativity/know it all expert/wise assss etc. Also why is it that when a person states they do not want to get in your business the next thing from they mouths is telling you how to handle your business ? With that said here I go. Your budget is not going to allow you to buy a NT or AT ! It will allow you to buy a older GB or like kind, with engine hours and teak/leak problems etc. I have owned only two boats of any size in my life, a 1971 GB woody and a 2006 mainship 34. Have you considered the MS?

Well, I did ask ! :) I think some of the older NT 32s are indeed in my price range. In fact, I see quite a few of them in the $100-$150 range. The ATs are too expensive for me, I agree. Of course these older tugs do have some of the issues that come along with age. And they don't seem to be for sale in the PNW. I did consider the mainship 34, and haven't ruled it out. It is a good suggestion. I also am occasionally looking at older GBs and the like. GB 32 would be my target I think, or perhaps a taiwanese 34 from that same era. They are all over the place with regard to maintenance, so finding a good one is a process too. Thanks for your comment. Not offended in the least!!!

How about something like this...

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/2000/mainship-390-trawl3595035/

- little to no exterior wood
- easy to move around on safely
- salon opens to covered aft deck

Of course this one appears to be sold, but there will be more.

Thanks Jeff - This one is too big at 42 LOA, but its smaller cousin, the 34T is on the list. Not too many of these in the PNW either, but I have it on my list bow. Keep those suggestions coming!

Greg

Have you considered a Downeaster cruiser? At hull speed they are thrifty but can also move right along when needed.

Have you considered a Downeaster cruiser? At hull speed they are thrifty but can also move right along when needed.

I have indeed. They are few and far between in the PNW. There is a Wilbur weekender in alaska that I have my eye on, but despite what some people back east think, Seattle is a long way from Alaska, particularly in the winter. Anything specific you are thinking of?

https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/bod/d/auke-bay-1989-wilbur-34-weekender/7235875498.html

As a reformed sailor you might consider a motorsailer. Something like the Nauticat 33 or Fisher 34 has the nice enclosed pilothouse like the tug. Also, if you are fully reformed you just motor everywhere. A motorsailer also would give you the option to pop up a sail for old time sake on a absolutely perfect situation/day.

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1984/nauticat-33-3197094/

As a reformed sailor you might consider a motorsailer. Something like the Nauticat 33 or Fisher 34 has the nice enclosed pilothouse like the tug. Also, if you are fully reformed you just motor everywhere. A motorsailer also would give you the option to pop up a sail for old time sake on a absolutely perfect situation/day.

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1984/nauticat-33-3197094/

Interesting idea. I will pursue it for a bit. I will need to unlearn a few things. The "word" in the sailing communities is that these are neither good for motoring nor sailing. But I guess it depends on your objectives. Mine have certainly changed over the years, so I am going to rethink that bias. Thanks for the good suggestion!

Interesting idea. I will pursue it for a bit. I will need to unlearn a few things. The "word" in the sailing communities is that these are neither good for motoring nor sailing. But I guess it depends on your objectives. Mine have certainly changed over the years, so I am going to rethink that bias. Thanks for the good suggestion!

One of the things I find interesting about the Nauticats are they do not have cored decks.
So even though there is a bunch of teak attached to topside deck, they don't get soft decks from core rot.

One of the things I find interesting about the Nauticats are they do not have cored decks.
So even though there is a bunch of teak attached to topside deck, they don't get soft decks from core rot.

Such a problem up hear in the PNW with all our rain. It is the demise of many boats!

Moving up to an NT 37?

Hi there - I keep coming back to this boat as the cinderella slipper for my wife and I cruising the Salish sea. We are ready to buy now if we find the right boat at the right price. Yes, I know you can ship them around, but I really would rather not! I didn't think my list was that restrictive, but I am beginning to get discouraged.

Open to ideas for something else from the wonderful hive mind. My checklist:

1. <36' (Have a slip) but a decent couples cruiser
2. single diesel / bow thruster or installable (Former sailor)
3. displacement / semi-displacement (Former sailor)
4. Sturdy build (Lot's of debris up here!)
5. Priced right (Not looking to steal it, just have been on a lot of boats with "unreasonably high self esteem")
6. $$ <150 (This is a preference. Possibly negotiable for the right boat. See #5)

Not afraid of a reasonably sized project, even a re-power (See #5) but I have been at this boating thing a while so...no free boats please.

Tell me if I am being unrealistic!

I have also looked online at Transpac Eagle 32 but they are quite rare.

I also went down the "Buy a tollycraft/or similar fast cruiser and drive it slowly dummy" route for a while. It just seems crazy to buy/maintain two engines if you don't need or want them.:Thanx:

OK, I know I am commenting on my own post which is a party foul - Self tarring and feathering shortly. I just thought I would remind you all, that when you buy Firehoser75's beautiful NT37' listed on TF I am here to take that babied NT32 off your hands. Remember, he is Canadian so he will be very nice, and his money is worth less :dance:

Thanks IronZebra - We have actually been on, or looked at all of these. We decided the Camano was a tiny bit too small (28 actually), but I was just saying to the Admiral that we should put it back on our list. The slip next to ours has a troll - it is actually where we started this journey. It is interesting to me that a catalina 36 foot sailboat actually feels bigger than a camano 31, though if you measured the volume, I expect the troll is bigger.

The one off is very interesting - it needs a refit that is beyond my energy level, but I think that would be a hell of a boat if the purchase and refit could be done "economically".

There are actually three NT in alaska that I have been eyeballing. But Alaska right now is tough - it is a long way from Seattle, particularly in the winter! Harder to get to than the east coast in fact.

I appreciate your looking!

[QUOTE
There are actually three NT in alaska that I have been eyeballing. But Alaska right now is tough - it is a long way from Seattle, particularly in the winter! Harder to get to than the east coast in fact.
[/QUOTE]

Just a quick three day trip down the inside if you don't stop - I'd say a ton easier than the east coast, and less expensive.

[QUOTE

Just a quick three day trip down the inside if you don't stop - I'd say a ton easier than the east coast, and less expensive.[/QUOTE]

True - I was more thinking about getting up there to look at them, survey etc. I would want to take a long leisurely trip back when the northerlies start!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom