Old 02-05-2020, 07:08 PM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Channel Islands, CA
Vessel Name: New Adventure
Vessel Model: McKinna 48PH
1976 Hatteras 48 LRC in Charleston, South Carolina

I'm looking for a Hatteras 48 LRC. Id like a project boat so I can build it to be a simple solar run boat. This boat has dead generators so I don't have to scrap perfectly good ones.
I have seen a post on this site from someone that has seen this boat and he talked about what a fraud the ad was, but I cant seem to find it.
Can anyone point me to that post?

Thanks

Hornloaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 07:17 PM   #2
Guru

City: Canaveral
I spoke to the broker and he estimated it would need about $125k to bring it up to snuff. We didnít go through the details because I wasnít really interested enough.

This model would not make a good electric conversion unless youíre importing about 200kW of industrial batteries from China. Even then youíre gunna cruise at say 5 knots for a range of maybe 35 miles. And youíll still need a generator and diesel fuel to recharge the batteries.

makobuilders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 07:22 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by makobuilders View Post

This model would not make a good electric conversion unless youíre importing about 200kW of industrial batteries from China. Even then youíre gunna cruise at say 5 knots for a range of maybe 35 miles. And youíll still need a generator and diesel fuel to recharge the batteries.

You miss understand my intentions. I'm not going to make it electric, I'll be running the diesels, I am gong to make everything electrical, 12V and run off the batteries, which will be charged by 2000 watt solar array. I don't want to have to use a generator just to live on the hook.
Old 02-05-2020, 07:47 PM   #4
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Insequent
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 50 Mk I
It is quite possible to not have a diesel generator and live on the hook using solar, provided you do not have or want air conditioning while on the hook.

I have just over 2000W of solar and for a bit over half the year it works very well. But during winter the sun angle reduces the solar input such that after a couple of days I need to move & use the main engines for some extra Ah replenishment, or run a Honda 2000 for a few hours. A more efficient refer, and some other power management could extend that hook-time, but I can live with it.

After 8 years, and now with my second iteration of solar on board two big takeaways are: Add as much solar as you can, 2000W is just ok. Shading of panels hits you hard, go to some trouble to minimise it.
Old 02-05-2020, 07:54 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I am currently running 1200W of solar on my soon to be sold sail boat. Everything on the boat has been optimized for 12V use (no inverters). I been running this setup for six years and love it.
Yes I will have one generator so I can run AC and heat more water than a 12V water heater will do, but I don't want to have to start a generator just to cook or watch TV at night.
Old 02-05-2020, 08:17 PM   #6
Guru

City: Oconto, WI
Vessel Name: Best Alternative
Vessel Model: 36 Albin Aft Cabin
I can understand your desire to go "Green" with solar, etc. But, you say the generators are dead, I assume you mean more than one. Two dead generators could probably be swapped out for one smallish working genny.

I 48 ft Hattie might had up to 25 Kw or even more. A nice 5 or 7.5 might be able to satisfy your needs if you can be modest, which sounds like you plan to be. If your present genny or two have any good parts, each should be worth several thousand dollars. A good start on a new or used plant.

pete
Pete Meisinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 07:39 AM   #7
FF
Guru

"I am gong to make everything electrical, 12V and run off the batteries,"

No problem , but no air cond.

The reefer is the huge power draw, simply install an RV propane unit properly and a "20" lb tank (really 15 now ) will go 3 weeks or so.

With the reefer solved 250 or 300W of solar should do.

FF is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hatteras, lrc, trawler