Monk 36 waste tank monitoring, any ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Coalman

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Elaine May
Vessel Make
Monk 36
Need some advice about monitoring the level of waste in my fiberglass black water holding tank on a monk 36 trawler. The boat didn’t come with a monitor system, has anyone installed a system. I would like to have a monitor rather than timing or guessing when the tank needs pump out. Any advice is appreciated

Attachments

• SCAD.jpg
    SCAD.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 63
I've only had it installed for a few weeks, but when I put my new tank in, I went with the Blue Sea ultrasonic setup. It does have to be installed into the top of the tank, but there are no moving parts.

I agree with the others above who recommend the Scad external tank monitor.

However, I would suggest you consider buying it from the developer directly. It will save you a few bucks and may (although I’m only guessing) provide more profit back to the developer, Dennis Ferriello. When I bought mine I chatted with he and his wife on the phone. Seem like an awfully nice couple.

https://www.ferriellosales.com/monitoring-systems.html

I've known Dennis and Deane for 25 years and you're right Dave, they are a VERY nice couple...which is why it saddens me to tell you that I've known for several years that Dennis has had some ever-worsening health issues. I learned from his wife Deane this week that she's finally had to place him in a memory care facility. Deane is still taking orders-and very capable of doing so, but she's referring all tech support questions to Dave Davis at New Providence Marine newprovidencemarine which has always been the design and production side of Ferriello Sales.

How long this arrangement will work out remains to be seen, but as of now I can still recommend ordering direct from Ferriello Sales for a lower price than SCAD charges for their private label version of the same Profile systems.

--Peggie

Sea strainer for forward head ??

I noticed that my aft head was carrying what looks like leaves, slime, etc when flushed. Wow that stuff is going into my holding tank too. To my surprise I don’t have a strainer between the head and the thru hull valve. My question is, should there be one, I think it would help keep discharge and tank cleaner. Any thoughts?

Be glad it IS going into your tank instead of clogging up you toilet pump or intake line...or worse yet, doesn't include any dead animal sea life that's died and decayed in your intake line!

If you're regularly in shallow waters that have a lot of bottom vegetation--which means there's also a lot of animal sea life too--you definitely need a strainer. It needs to be installed ABOVE the waterline as close to the thru-hull as practical and still put it in an location that's accessible for cleaning it.

--Peggie

Dual thanks everyone

Thanks for all the suggestions for tank monitoring systems a also recommendation for sea strainer and installation tips(Head Mistriss). You got me excited about some new projects and I’m looking forward to installing both black tank and fresh water tank monitor and also a sea water strainer on aft head supply.

Thanks again, flat seas and light breezes..

Coalman

I've known Dennis and Deane for 25 years and you're right Dave, they are a VERY nice couple...which is why it saddens me to tell you that I've known for several years that Dennis has had some ever-worsening health issues. I learned from his wife Deane this week that she's finally had to place him in a memory care facility. Deane is still taking orders-and very capable of doing so, but she's referring all tech support questions to Dave Davis at New Providence Marine newprovidencemarine which has always been the design and production side of Ferriello Sales.

I’m very sorry to hear that. When I spoke to them, Dennis did pass me off to his wife pretty quickly after he answered my questions about what I would need for my system. I got the feeling that he didn’t feel confident in taking name, address, CC information etc... for the actual order. He never had any problem answering the technical questions on his product however.

Back
Top Bottom