Monk 36 Door Lock Issue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pwog

The starboard sliding door lock on my 1985 Monk is broken. It looks to be the original and the only "brand" markings is Bird. Basically, there is a small stud/pin that has a spring that attaches to an "actuator" so, that when the knob or key is turned the spring actuates the latch. The small stud/pin has broken off.

I tried using JB Weld to re-attach the stud/pin and that worked fine for about a day. Then it broke again!

I have scanned the Internet and cannot find any references to the lock.

Does anyone here have a lead or suggestion where I may find an old one or have this one repaired?

Thanks!

Paul

Welcome aboard! Hopefully the port lock still works. We're in the same boat. We have not found a replacement either. We lock the bad door from the inside and only use the good lock from the outside. When that goes we're going to use a hasp and padlock.

Last edited:
Thanks Archie! That is what we do now, as well. I have been trying to figure a way to repair the lock. I'll let you know if I do.

Paul
1985 Monk 36
Hull #077

Take it out and have a machinist look at it... Perhaps they an weld the pin back or replace it completely?

I've looked at a thousand photos online and not one is small enough to fit into the Monk door frame. The locksmiths just shake their heads.

Have any of you had keys copied for your doors? Have a 2002 Monk 36. Can't find a locksmith who can copy a key. They can't seem to locate the blank.

The starboard sliding door lock on my 1985 Monk is broken. It looks to be the original and the only "brand" markings is Bird. Basically, there is a small stud/pin that has a spring that attaches to an "actuator" so, that when the knob or key is turned the spring actuates the latch. The small stud/pin has broken off.

I tried using JB Weld to re-attach the stud/pin and that worked fine for about a day. Then it broke again!

I have scanned the Internet and cannot find any references to the lock.

Does anyone here have a lead or suggestion where I may find an old one or have this one repaired?

Thanks!

Paul

Take it to a lock smith. Maybe he will recognize it or if the builder is still in business contact them.

Ah the suggestion of a good machinist is perfect.

Last edited:
When talking about a "locksmith", we're not talking about Lowes or Home Depot. We're talking about someone who has a shop and has been in business for many years.

These people will know where to get key blanks and replacement parts. Or, they can make them.

Also, do a web search on "bird" and "lock manufacturer".

Last edited:
If you were able to braze this part...becomes a DIY fix.
Depending on the metal, can be silver brazed either with Harris 15% rods or higher. I have silver brazed SS with sterling silver, all using the white Stay-Silv flux.

One Harris 15 silver braze rod at the local supply here is $4 only.
I have successfully silver brazed old broken bronze bolts together again.

Last edited:
Is the latch off the door or can it be removed while it is repaired?

Any good machinist could make a duplicate part to replace the broken part but it might take a few days to get it done... After all, someone made it 30+ years ago...

This is the closest that I've found online except its way too big in every dimension. Mine is only 46 mm deep where this one is 76mm deep.
http://www.zanda.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/1290-Sliding-Door-Lock-Diagram.jpg

1290-Sliding-Door-Lock-Diagram.jpg

I made a sketch attached: Sorry about the sideways. No matter how I save it, it shows up sideways.

Attachments

• IMG_0396b.JPG
    IMG_0396b.JPG
    108.6 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:
Thanks Archie! That is what we do now, as well. I have been trying to figure a way to repair the lock. I'll let you know if I do.

Paul

1985 Monk 36

Hull #077

Did you ever find a solution? I've got #75 and the locks are not reasonably functional.

Jerry
DC Monk 36

Did you ever find a solution? I've got #75 and the locks are not reasonably functional.

Jerry
DC Monk 36
Not yet. Been busy getting the boat ready for launch. I did find something that might work but needs some work.
Here is another on page 6 of 8 on this pdf
http://www.elis.com.tw/_upload/attachments/H29.pdf
Google search for sliding door mortice lock cross key
Tough finding anything in the US.
sf-rhbs05-78.jpg.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom