Waste tank question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Julsburd

Veteran Member
We are addressing the recent "overflow" of our waste tank which I mentioned in a previous thread. This morning we removed the vent filter and blew air up towards the outside vent with no problem. It was clearly open. Then we blew air back towards the tank and it did not seem open. Is there a check valve or something at the tank? Also... important question... where is our waste tank located? Hopefully not below our stateroom closet?? thanks for any help.

found the waste tank. Under a hatch in our downstairs hallway. My husband thinks he has it figured out. New to us boat where every situation is a new adventure! :blush:

Sounds like a check valve issue. Get rid of it. Also get rid of any charcoal or odor eliminating filters in line. All of the above just impede airflow and will eventually get "cruded" up and basically plugged.

Buy and read Peggy's book. It's called "Get rid of boat odors" there are two editions, newest is probably best.

She is a regular reader of this forum and may chime in. Listen to her advice and follow it!

pete

This may seem like a strange question to ask about holding tank issue, but is your toilet a VacuFlush? I'm asking because holding tanks installed with VF toilets often have a "pressure relief valve" that, along with a vent line filter, can cause problems.

--Peggie

Peggy we do have your book thank god! Both our heads are Techma.

Tecmas are excellent toilets! However, although "pressure relief" valves are more common on tanks installed with VF toilets, they can be found on other tanks too. It's intended to prevent an especially strong pumpout from imploding the tank by opening if the vent is blocked (as can happen if a filter gets wet) when the tank is being pumped or dumped.

But I don't think it's causing your problem...I suspect there's a blockage in the vent fitting on the tank that's a result of overfilling the tank and allowing waste to build up in that connection. Happens a lot on sailboats 'cuz heeling causes tank contents to spill into the vent...not so common on power boats unless the tank is allowed to stay very full, maybe over-full. However, the vent thru-hull is the most common location for a vent blockage, so unless you've already successfully blown air through it with -0- resistance, I'd scrape it out too...use a screwdriver blade, ice pick--whatever works--on both ends of the vent line--the vent fitting on the tank and that end of the vent line.

Fwiw, all boat builders use the same type of thru-hulls on all tank vents--water, fuel and waste. They're designed to keep sea water out of the fuel and water supply, but it hardly matters if a little sea water gets into a holding tank..and they also restrict the exchange of air with the gasses in the tank. So I'd replace that vent thru-hull with an open bulkhead or "mushroom" thru-hull that you can stick hose nozzle against to back flush the vent line every time you pumpout or wash the boat--preventing future blockages. You'll find details and photo of the type of thru-hull on pages 41-43 in my book.

If you overfilled the tank, it sounds like you don't have a tank level indicator (or one that works). Check out SCAD system Scad Tank Monitors Easy to install because the sender goes on the outside of the tank so it can never become clogged. The SOLO single tank monitor is very reasonably priced and even available from Amazon

--Peggie

Last edited:
Update... after a few trips to the hardware store hubby has "broken through" the crusty clog of the vent on the waste tank itself. You were totally right Peggy as usual. Anyway, the plan is to really clean it out tomorrow (he'd had enough of that s#*@* for one day. We are going to put new vent filters inline for now and when we have all of our sanitary hoses replaced we'll see about eliminating it. Anything else we should do for the moment?

Anything else we should do for the moment?

Yep...you have my book (thank you!)...read and digest Section 4 to learn what changes you'll need to make to eliminate the need for a vent filter when you're ready to do that. We'll also want to talk about hoses--which ones have proven to be the best (hint: it's not the most expensive) before you have those replaced. We can chat via email or on the phone...I'm always glad to help!

--Peggie

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom