Selene Voyager - Mast / Sails??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FWT

Guru
Vessel Name
Resilient
Vessel Make
Helmsman Trawlers 38E
We are reasonably firmly headed toward an order for a Helmsman 38E, but the aft cabin idea has caught my wife's eye. So I am at least doing a light kicking-of-the-tires on the Selene 38.

A big downside in what I see is the mast and boom. I just don't see much utility in it, and all of the mast stays are just in the way. Handling the dingy can be better done via a normal davit crane.

What am I missing? I just don't see much utility in a staysail. Am I wrong?

Are any of these custom made without the mast?

Other comments welcomed as well.

For use on the east coast, by the way.

Thanks in advance.

IMO the sail itself is rather useless except perhaps as a riding sail when at anchor, if you anchor with line instead of chain. The boom works just fine to manage the dinghy. You need a mast for the obvious. So just take the sail and toss it in a cabinet somewhere.

One question however, are you really serious about dropping a cool million on a new 38 when you could pick up any number of larger and perhaps better used trawlers, for less?

Million? Really? I have not priced them and no prices are listed on the site.

Nope. Not worth a million.

How current is your info?

My mist-type. Meant to say half-million. Can't edit the comment. Still point is made, balancing a brand new H38 versus a 20 years old Nordy 40 is a tough decision.

If you are ordering a new boat, just delete the mast, boom and stays. Probably won't save you much but it better than removing it yourself and filling holes.

pete

My mist-type. Meant to say half-million. Can't edit the comment. Still point is made, balancing a brand new H38 versus a 20 years old Nordy 40 is a tough decision.

Thanks

A half makes more sense. But no doubt a bit more than that

If you are ordering a new boat, just delete the mast, boom and stays. Probably won't save you much but it better than removing it yourself and filling holes.

pete

Sure. I guess I was just looking for info on the usefulness of them apart from davit duty. I have been through the old threads, and opinions were somewhat mixed. I wondered if there was any new comments since then.

Or comments on the boat generally

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom