Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Crusty Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 03:51 PM   #22
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
So are Selene's single or twin engines? We walked on one in the Seattle Boat show last year and was impressed. I think it had twin John Deere...
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 04:29 PM   #23
Guru

City: I need a bigger boat!
Vessel Model: Cheetah 25' Powercat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Codger2 View Post
I have always liked the lines of the Selenes but other than being on a few at boat shows, I know very little abut them. I do, however, know a little about Jet Tern Marine as they are the ones that built my Halvorsen 32 Gourmet Cruiser that I cruised for about 8 years. I found the fit & finish well above average for this size boat & and its sea keeping attributes were admirable.
Some of the members here at TF also had a ride or two on the boat and maybe they will chime in. There were 4 members in total that were on my boat at different times. (Go ahead, guys, and let me have it! You can't piss me off as I don't own her anymore.)
Hi Walt,

I'd like to ask you a Q about the GC you used to own.

I notice it seems to create a massive wake in the photos ; at about 8 tons what sort of fuel economy do you get at 7-8kts & at what revs?
Old 10-28-2015, 04:30 PM   #24
Guru

City: Pahrump, NV
Vessel Name: Pairadice
Vessel Model: Sold Selene 47
[QUOTE=Alaskan Sea-Duction;383357]So are Selene's single or twin engines?

For the most part they are singles, especially below 55 footers. I don't think I have seen one below 55 that ran twins. A few had small get home motors, but it gets a bit tight in the ER then.
Crusty Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 01:03 AM   #25

City: brisbane
Thumbs up Very nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusty Chief View Post
Sorry, having a problem posting multiple pictures.
Wow that's clean, I think you missed a spot about 1/16th in diameter but it probably just a spec on my pc screen

So good to see people taking such a high level of care that is rarely seen. Even on aircraft or highly critical and hazardous processes, they could learn from you!
markic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 05:46 AM   #26
Guru

City: Sharon, Ma
Vessel Name: Slow Lane
Vessel Model: 2005 Silverton 35 Motoryacht
Good thread bump Markic. Lol. But since we're in 2019 now what's the consensus. Is the N and KK still a better buy or has Selene rectified some of their issues?

2005 Silverton 35 Motoryacht
South of Heaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 05:54 AM   #27
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by THD View Post
I don't know that I can give you specific examples, but I can give you a bit of history of Selene that contributed to some of their reputation, good and bad. I do not own one, have never owned one and have no desire to own one, but, for various reasons, had occasion to look into them some years ago. Selene is an interesting synopsis of the boatbuilding industry in the PRC. The Chen family, from Taiwan, have a long manufacturing history on the mainland of China producing flatware and cutlery, IKEA being their biggest customer. Howard, a son of Jet-Tern's founder, was more interested in boats. They set up manufacturing in southern Guangdong Province, in Dongguan, in 1998. At the time, there was virtually no infrastructure and no experienced workforce, so they were truly starting from scratch. From what I learned, there were two issues early on-first-what kind of boat to build, many of their early models were what they called a "Modified Displacement Hull" known to us all as semi-displacement, and a lot inconsistency in the build. Somewhere around 2003 or so, they did bring in a very experienced and pretty well-known builder from Maine as a consultant to help get the build process straightened out and to train their workforce. He also got them more focused on true, full displacement, long range trawlers (Apologies-Marin!). Up until about 2011 or so, they contracted out their pre-delivery work and their warranty work here in the PNW to Port Townsend Marine. I spent a fair amount of time talking to them about the Selene. The issues, to my knowledge, never revolved around the hull build or the basic seaworthiness of the boat. The issues revolved more around consistency of build and attention to detail. Things like sighting down a hull and being able to see mat print through the gelcoat. The electrical systems tended to be totally inconsistent from boat to boat, where wires ran in one boat, they ran somewhere else in the next boat. Plumbing tended to be the same way. A lot of ancillary and component stuff, mostly metalwork and parts, were substandard (compared to top quality competitors). The guys I know a Port Townsend would pretty much get a chuckle out of whatever they would find on the next Selene. At the time, Selenes ran about 30-35% cheaper than comparable Krogens and close to 50% less than comparable Nordhavns. At the time, a familiar business model for China produced goods. Slightly less quality produced by cheaper labor and sold at a lower price. Over the years, from what I have learned, many of those problems have gone by the wayside. I think Chen and Jet Tern learned that while price is a component for many buyers, it is often not the motivating factor in the large trawler market. In the intervening years, Jet Tern has improved quality and build consistency. The price difference has narrowed considerably and while still less expensive than Krogen or Nordhavn, they are not sold nearly as much on price as they used to be. Unfortunately for Selene owners, and fortunately for those interested in them used, that initial impression has stuck around and there used prices are generally not comparable to either Krogen or Nordhavn. All that said, if I were interested in another boat, would I categorically exclude them? No. like looking at any prospective boat purchase, I would do all the normal things, surveys, sea trials, etc. and if the boat passed those tests and met my needs at a cost acceptable to me, I would buy it.
How does Solo play into the story?
menzies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 08:13 AM   #28
Veteran Member

City: Phuket
Vessel Name: TeoraTera
Vessel Model: Selene 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by menzies View Post
How does Solo play into the story?
Hi, I just took delivery of my new Selene 80 fishing explorer, first cruise for over 600 Nmiles, all is as expected, extremely stable at sea, craftsmanship equal not to say superior to the Nordhavn ( I initially was looking at Nordhavn since I had opportunity to cruise on a N55), all systems are well engineered, I was a previous owner of 2 superyachts over 120ft and this yacht has nothing to be shy compared to them. Not familiar with KK but I am positive in saying that Nordhavn and Selene are now playing on the same league. Still some significant price difference mainly due to the marketing structure of the two companies.
CaptainSEA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 10:38 AM   #29
Guru

City: Bellingham WA
Vessel Name: Hatt Trick
Vessel Model: 45' Hatteras Convertible
John, so that's what you do with your spare time......make your ER sparkle?
Old 05-14-2019, 11:38 AM   #30
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
I never figured out where the original OP, all those years ago, was finding such information and opinions as he was. I've talked to many Selene owners and all were impressed with it's seaworthiness and ride, in various sizes. Compared to Nordhavn, more livable, less salty. Now I did read some stories of issues in the past, really rather distant past, but can find the same type stories on Nordhavn, not so far in the past, but on one or two specific boats.

Probably less expensive materials used in some areas of the interior of Selene but better quality than one might expect for the price. While price can provide quality, part of Nordhavn's price goes to a very large sales, general and administrative group including 19 sales representatives.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 11:46 AM   #31

City: Whosville
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainSEA View Post
Hi, I just took delivery of my new Selene 80 fishing explorer, first cruise for over 600 Nmiles, all is as expected, extremely stable at sea, craftsmanship equal not to say superior to the Nordhavn ( I initially was looking at Nordhavn since I had opportunity to cruise on a N55), all systems are well engineered, I was a previous owner of 2 superyachts over 120ft and this yacht has nothing to be shy compared to them. Not familiar with KK but I am positive in saying that Nordhavn and Selene are now playing on the same league. Still some significant price difference mainly due to the marketing structure of the two companies.
I spent some time on the Selene site looking at what limited information they had on your little ship. Beautiful boat! Congratulations! Was it some sort of custom order? It's not listed as a production boat under their yacht tab.
You appear to be cruising in the east. It would be interesting to hear more about that. Just how difficult is it to meander from country to country?
leeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 12:09 PM   #32
Veteran Member

City: Phuket
Vessel Name: TeoraTera
Vessel Model: Selene 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by leeman View Post
I spent some time on the Selene site looking at what limited information they had on your little ship. Beautiful boat! Congratulations! Was it some sort of custom order? It's not listed as a production boat under their yacht tab.
You appear to be cruising in the east. It would be interesting to hear more about that. Just how difficult is it to meander from country to country?
The 80 Fishing explorer is based on the Selene 66 model (72 ft) with a 6 ft stern extension to accomodate 2 live baits tanks.
Cruising most part of South East Asian waters is both easy and rewarding, Indonesia, Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand, Myanmar, Andaman Islands (India) offer excellent facilities in terms of Marinas, technical support, pretty easy dealings with authorities, and above all fantastic cruising destinations. Still have the Philippines in my bucket list as well as the maldives. I have cruised from Florida to Thailand with my previous yacht, visited some dreaming places such as BoraBora, Fiji,... but to be honest cruising SEA waters is at least as rewarding and definitely much less crowded than the Bahamas or the Med.
CaptainSEA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 01:36 PM   #33
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
In 2012 we came very close to buying a new Selene 58. We were very pleased to see a variety of build quality and design improvements over the earlier year vessels we'd looked at in detail. I'd guess Chen and group have continued their efforts to make Selenes a class act.

Like an earlier poster mentioned, we'd spent considerable time with commissioning groups learning what areas had been problematic for Selene. To be fair, during that time there were several problem areas we'd been coached to look out for in another name brand vessel.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 02:14 PM   #34
Veteran Member

City: Pentwater
We are currently shopping for our retirement boat. Looking at KK, Selene's and maybe GB Europas. We like the livability and layout of the Selene. Probably looking at the 43' because the draft gets too much on the 47' to do the loop reasonably. Anyone know what the production years were for the 43' Legacy model? I think they shipped the first one here in 1999 but I'm having trouble finding out when they quit making them in favor of the 45'. I would love to see a Selene Forum. How do I go about asking for that???
Julsburd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 03:44 PM   #35

City: New Smyrna Beach, FL
Vessel Name: Mikala
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Selene Quality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julsburd View Post
We are currently shopping for our retirement boat. Looking at KK, Selene's and maybe GB Europas. We like the livability and layout of the Selene. Probably looking at the 43' because the draft gets too much on the 47' to do the loop reasonably. Anyone know what the production years were for the 43' Legacy model? I think they shipped the first one here in 1999 but I'm having trouble finding out when they quit making them in favor of the 45'. I would love to see a Selene Forum. How do I go about asking for that???

https://www.seleneowners.org/home.php?
Mikala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 04:29 PM   #36
Veteran Member

Thanks for the link to the owners group. I am already a member of that. I was referring to getting a specific Selene group on Trawler's Forum. The Selene owners website is good but I think it isn't used very much because a lot of the postings are old. Any information about the Selene 43 would be appreciated!
Old 05-14-2019, 07:19 PM   #37
Guru

City: Bellingham WA
Vessel Name: Hatt Trick
Vessel Model: 45' Hatteras Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainSEA View Post
The 80 Fishing explorer is based on the Selene 66 model (72 ft) with a 6 ft stern extension to accomodate 2 live baits tanks.
Cruising most part of South East Asian waters is both easy and rewarding, Indonesia, Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand, Myanmar, Andaman Islands (India) offer excellent facilities in terms of Marinas, technical support, pretty easy dealings with authorities, and above all fantastic cruising destinations. Still have the Philippines in my bucket list as well as the maldives. I have cruised from Florida to Thailand with my previous yacht, visited some dreaming places such as BoraBora, Fiji,... but to be honest cruising SEA waters is at least as rewarding and definitely much less crowded than the Bahamas or the Med.
Pardon the side drift from Selenes, but in your travels in South East Asia, how would you describe, generally, how safe you felt at your anchorages? Any piracy encountered? Did the locals usually welcome you? Interested in any related commentary.
Old 05-14-2019, 07:57 PM   #38
Guru

City: East Coast
Vessel Name: M/V Maerin (Sold)
Vessel Model: Solo 4303
The 43 began as Solo. The original hulls were produced by Jet Tern for Halvorsen for import beginning in 1998. A 47 was added to the Solo line, and they were produced as Solo, nine hulls were built. Hull 09 was the 1st Selene, it was dual-badged as a Solo/Selene. IIRC it was about 2001. At that time, Howard Chen & Halvorsen parted ways and Howard and Jet Tern took complete control of production and marketing of the line that became Selene.

Around 40 of the 43 ft. hulls were produced until the changes in the hull lineup were introduced about 2008 with the deep hull (DH) configuration and other changes in the lineup that saw the 43 badged as 45, the 48 as a 50 and other lineup changes that I lost track of.

As a long time owner of an early Solo/Selene (4303) I've seen the changes in the brand over the 13 yrs we've owned our Solo. Most of the hulls were built for an owner. There were hulls produced on "spec", but most had owners when they began production, so each of those hulls are, to an extent custom-built for the owner. We've seen the progression of the line as each successive model incorporated the feedback from owners of earlier hulls. If there were things on our boat that "I wish they'd.... ", it seems that those changes appeared in later hulls.

We've been very happy with our Solo. We've traveled over 38,000 nm, and accumulated over 7500 engine hours in 13 years of ownership and full-time cruising.

https://maerin.net
Maerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 08:34 PM   #39
Veteran Member

Thanks Steve. Your information was nice to hear and it was important to know the end of the model (2008). What is the draft of your boat and do you think that changes with each hull design of the 43's. That is one thing we find interesting about the Selene's is that they are all a little bit different. They are a really nice boat and you confirmed that. Thanks!
Old 05-14-2019, 09:29 PM   #40
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken E. View Post
John, so that's what you do with your spare time......make your ER sparkle?
LOL Crusty uses a toothbrush to make sure the bilge is shiny clean. Pausing just long enough to get an AA from the guy smoking a cigar and sipping scotch on his bow!!

These Navy guys......
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote