Old 05-14-2019, 11:02 PM   #41
Guru

City: East Coast
Vessel Name: M/V Maerin (Sold)
Vessel Model: Solo 4303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julsburd View Post
Thanks Steve. Your information was nice to hear and it was important to know the end of the model (2008). What is the draft of your boat and do you think that changes with each hull design of the 43's. That is one thing we find interesting about the Selene's is that they are all a little bit different. They are a really nice boat and you confirmed that. Thanks!

We're a full 5 ft draft. Trent-Severn is skinny in spots if you're planning to loop via that route. Water levels were at some of the highest levels in 2017 when we did that route, about 9" lower coming back. We bumped the bottom around Kirkfield both directions, and at the hole in the wall RR bridge. We're stern-heavy due to placement of the water tanks in the laz- relocated fwd on later hulls.

Doors were a weak spot, they switched to Diamond Sea Glaze doors around hull 14? don't quote me on that. Barry N. (4309) has that info. Even the Diamond SG doors can have corrosion issues. Stainless window frames were an option, well worth it!

Happy hunting!

https://maerin.net
Maerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 09:07 AM   #42
Veteran Member

City: Phuket
Vessel Name: TeoraTera
Vessel Model: Selene 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken E. View Post
Pardon the side drift from Selenes, but in your travels in South East Asia, how would you describe, generally, how safe you felt at your anchorages? Any piracy encountered? Did the locals usually welcome you? Interested in any related commentary.
Hi Ken, no worry for the drift in the forum but take care of the drift while at anchor!!!
Cruising South East Asian waters has been very safe for me, nice anchorages, no piracy at all, I heard that there are some safety issues in some parts of the Philippines but haven’t been there yet so can’t really comment on that. The locals are usually very friendly provided you respect the rules and culture of the country, need to get used to the fisshing fleets in Indonesia, Malaysia and Thailand since they don’t necessary have all the regulatory navigation lights and few of them have an AIS, so for night navigation, a good radar is very welcome...Should you have more specific needs for information, please do not hesitate to pm me.
CaptainSEA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2023, 12:08 PM   #43

City: Jacksonville
Engine

I have a Selene with a 300+ hp Cummins diesel. <200 hp would be plenty for this 43 ft boat. I asked one of the primaries at the company why the boats have such large engines. She told me that Americans opt for the big engines. My biggest complaints are - no get home power source and the generator is positioned with the after cooler of the engine is unreachable and it is impossible to add a new zinc and service the after cooler.
Speciald58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2023, 02:28 PM   #44
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
Welcome aboard. A lot of boats are like that. Inaccessible things are not uncommon.
Comodave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2023, 03:06 PM   #45
Guru

City: Vallejo, California
Vessel Name: Mahalo Moi
Vessel Model: 1986 Grand Banks 42 Classic
I don’t know you specific layout. However, you may be able to install an access point (hatch and cover) directly above your genset on the interior sole(???).
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑβΕ
Giggitoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2023, 03:16 PM   #46
DDW
Guru

City: San Francisco
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comodave View Post
Welcome aboard. A lot of boats are like that. Inaccessible things are not uncommon.
A good federal law would be that before the first boat is delivered, the CEO has to do a complete engine service, and the video of it posted online. This would not be onerous at all for a company that a) had a CEO that knew anything about his product and b) cared at all about the product they ship.

I would not limit the law to boats.

But to be honest, the blame for this sort of thing rests on all of us, the boat buying public, who are typically a lot more likely to ask how many it sleeps, than whether the engine can be serviced.
DDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2023, 04:31 PM   #47
PNK

City: New York ( City Island )
Selene Quality

DDW is right on the money about this issue extending to almost everything. I had almost that exact conversation years ago with the engineers at one of our larger factories, after fielding years of complaints from service people: "did any of you ever try to install one of these?" 100% of the time the answer was "no, that's not our job."
The sad truth is that very few products are designed so that they are easy to service, even though service is what keeps those products running and keeps the brand's good reputation.
PNK
PNK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2023, 05:07 PM   #48
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
It looked good on paper…
Comodave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2023, 05:26 PM   #49
Guru

City: Saint Petersburg
Vessel Name: Weebles
Vessel Model: 1970 Willard 36 Trawler
I'd guess this is why second boat owners hire Steve D.

Peter
mvweebles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2023, 09:04 AM   #50

City: East Coast & Caribbean
Vessel Name: Untethered
Vessel Model: Selene 57
I looked at KK and NH when I bought my Selene 57. To be honest, all 3 would have done the trick, but I'm very satisfied with my Selene. I was looking for a single engine, full displacement long distance trawler. Here is my impression of our Selene after 2.5 years of ownership and about 10K miles traveled from Maine to the Bahamas, living aboard nearly full time and anchoring out almost exclusively.

The layout of the 57 is terrific. It's very similar to a Nordhavn 57, which I consider to be their best boat. 3 stateroom, with midship master and spacious VIP stateroom. It has a fairly low profile, a very well protected prop with large keel that makes it track very well, everything is easy to access (relatively), it is very easy to move around in, handles different sea states very well, is relatively simple and intuitive, has a good selection of high quality components, has amazing woodwork inside (much better than N or KK), has good speed and fuel economy, has good access in the engine room, has a huge lazarette with large freezer, and doesn't consume a huge amount of electricity to operate. It's weight (according to the Selene website) is 102,000 lbs, but I think it is slightly heavier, maybe 110K. And the boat look awesome. One of the best looking boats in the water IMO. We get lots of comments about how good she looks. In comparison the N57 is 122K pounds and 6'-2" draft (according to N website).

The downsides are: the gelcoat is not good. My boat has visible defects in parts of the hull that can be seen from 10-15 feet away. The topside gelcoat is thin in spots, but that may be from prior owner's care. The draft is 6'-6" (the website says 5'-9", but I measured it when it was on pavement and the website is wrong). I need to stoop in the engine room, not stand up. The ER is well laid out and easy to get around, but my back starts to bother me after a while. I do hear creaks when we're in heavy seas that are may be common with other boats, I'm not sure. It may mean Selene needs to isolate the woodwork from the hull a little better.

To answer the OPs question, I think Selene's biggest achilles heel is their gelcoat process. I don't think it's isolated to early Selene's only. I bid on a Selene 59 a few years ago that was in Seattle that had a gelcoat issue. I think that was a 2018 model. It got a lot of interest here on TF. I do believe this is a cosmetic issue only, and not all Selenes have gelcoat issues. So I don't think Selene had good control of the gelcoat process. Maybe they do now, dunno.

My perception of Nordhavn is that their boat designs are all over the map. The 57 is wildly different that the 55. They have a lot of stairs to climb, making movement through the boat slower. The hulls are beefy, and the engine rooms are nicely done.

KKs seem a little dated with the parquet floors and big, turned wood column supporting the galley cabinets. I'm not a big fan of the master stateroom in the bow, and the upward sloping deck. They are efficient through the water, but also a little slower.

Anyway, that's my impression. Yours may be different.
La Sirena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2023, 02:24 PM   #51
Guru

City: NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNK View Post
The sad truth is that very few products are designed so that they are easy to service, even though service is what keeps those products running and keeps the brand's good reputation.
PNK
And I think the other problem is they deliberately design things TO BE hard to service so you have to go back to the dealer.

We had a Honda, that to change a cabin air filter, required viewing a YouTube video. This is something that should be easy to do but they made it difficult on purpose.

Somethings are done to cheapen manufacturing, and thus increase the company's profit, but which make service more difficult than needed. Our clothes washer filter is an example. No easy, quick way to get to the filter. Once you get TO the filter it is easy to clean, but it can take a 1-2 hours to get to the filter AND a special tool.

Later,
Dan
dannc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2023, 04:25 PM   #52
DDW
Guru

City: San Francisco
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannc View Post
And I think the other problem is they deliberately design things TO BE hard to service so you have to go back to the dealer.
I cannot credit the NA/builder with that much competence in this issue. It is simply ignorance or sloth.

I know a couple of very high priced and well regarded NAs, who know very little about boatbuilding or boat maintenance. They draw things that cannot be built or maintained because they are ignorant of those operations. I know well regarded builders who have never cruised extensively and had to repair something in a remote location. Engineers are notorious for this, designing stuff that is difficult to build because they have never built anything. I remember in engineering school senior year and most of the book learning done, there was a "senior project" class, in which you had to propose a product and then build it and make it work. It was a Waterloo moment for a large percentage of the class.

Long ago, when HP was a highly regarded company, if you were hired out of college to work there as a design engineer, your first year would be spent maybe on the manufacturing line, second year in QA and debug, etc. before you got to design anything. This made sure you had first hand knowledge of those issues before a design pencil was placed in your hand.
DDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2023, 04:34 PM   #53
Guru

City: Guelph
Vessel Name: Escapade
Vessel Model: 50` US Navy Utility trawler conversion
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDW View Post

But to be honest, the blame for this sort of thing rests on all of us, the boat buying public, who are typically a lot more likely to ask how many it sleeps, than whether the engine can be serviced.
Right. Or whether an aftercooler is really needed on a trawler. Lots of boats get shipped with bigger engines than the builder or designer originally intended.
Jeff F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2023, 06:37 PM   #54
Guru

City: Pahrump, NV
Vessel Name: Pairadice
Vessel Model: Sold Selene 47
I sure do miss the boating life and our Pairadice has been sold again. Hope they take good care of her.
Crusty Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2023, 08:59 AM   #55
Guru

City: NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDW View Post
Long ago, when HP was a highly regarded company, if you were hired out of college to work there as a design engineer, your first year would be spent maybe on the manufacturing line, second year in QA and debug, etc. before you got to design anything. This made sure you had first hand knowledge of those issues before a design pencil was placed in your hand.

Yep. Today, management thinks someone straight out of school is actually competent. It takes a few years, at a minimum, to get people trained to have a chance at doing quality, productive work. I knew other companies that did the same thing as HP where the first position was working support so one had some experience with what Customer's do, how the products DONT work, and how painful this is for the Customer.

Later,
Dan
dannc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2024, 11:20 PM   #56

City: Subic Bay, Philippines
Vessel Name: MV Destiny
Vessel Model: Selene 60 Ocean Trawler
Have just come across this thread although it started some years ago! We have just built a brand new Selene 60 which we ordered in 2018 but for many reasons, among which the pandemic lockdowns, it was not delivered until 2022. We took delivery in Hong Kong in May 2022 - and because we were not going via a dealer, we attempted to fully specify the yacht at the shipyard (got them to install all electrical systems, electronics, etc etc). We did procure and design things ourselves, but the yard installed.

Having read through the whole thread, I would agree with the general concensus of opinions here from Selene owners. The basic build of the yacht is great - she is stable and seemingly solid. It is true that there are NO standards whatsoever - and there are not even any electrical diagrams or plumbing diagrams for each boat. So not only do they not keep them the same within models, but they don't even know themselves where things run. This does cause major issues with servicing and troubleshooting.

The comments on gel coat are also very valid. Ours being a brand new model from 2022, I can confirm that this issue has not been solved. We came out of the shipyard with a patchwork quilt of different coloured "oyster white" gel coat. Look down the side deck and you could see every single modification done to the mould and every touch up. We have fixed this in commissioning - it's taken us nearly two years to get her in the right state all through and through. The gel coat has been reapplied by a really top notch individual here in the Philippines - he has painstakingly gone over every inch of the boat and manually redone the GRP. She now looks fantastic.

It is also true to say that they cut corners on some things and install sub-standard fittings. This doesn't apply to the main equipment where they do include top models for things like fuel polishing, steering, get-home, stabilisers, generators. Your issue comes with internal water pipes for example - every one of our joins leaked and we had to do them again.

Would I buy a Selene again? Yes, absolutely without hesitation. Our new 60 cost somewhere in the region of $2m US - fully kitted out with everything including a lot of personally designed gadgets. (More information available on those if anybody is interested!). Compare that to the cost of a 65ft Nordhavn or KK and you can afford to do a huge amount of correction work in the Selene. Most things are just annoying - and happen because the guys actually putting the boat together in the yard have never been on a boat. They have no idea that drawers and cupboards will come open when you're on the seas - so they didn't understand they need to fit buttons that would actually lock ...... They just don't think or don't understand the implications - they are willing and need more education.

Happy to answer anybody's questions about the Selene 60 - we are now very happy with the boat, but NOT happy that it's taken us so long to get to where we are. We have one 600nm passage under our belts as the maiden voyage and sea-trial and would really love to start racking up the miles and the hours on our engine with cruising. This will happen in the next month.
MVDestiny is offline   Reply With Quote