Mid 80s 42' Ultimate Trawler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Psychowolff

Hey Guys...

I like the Grand Banks! But then I came across an 85 bluewater and Luv the layout and set up of it... im not really looking for a beautiful classic to hand down to children I dont have yet. I want something I can live aboard comfortably while traveling the Great loop, Cruise and Fish the Gulf, whale watch in the NE and, if I get that far... Take the panama canal, take a Left and go south as far as I can then a U-Turn and go North to Alaska...

I know the bluewater will pretty much handle the East of Panama adventures, but would it handle the Pacific side of things?? And.. Opinions. Tips. Pointers. 'And this One time, at Boat Camp, we...' are welcome also!

First off any boat can handle the Pacific Ocean along a coastline if you pick decent weather to travel in.

The problem you will have is fuel range, and the ability to use that range to avoid places.

For example Nicaragua. Is is safe??? Or do you need the range to go outside it's territorial limits.

Best bet would be of course a passagemaker level boat with stabilization but the job can be done with any boat if it has the fuel range.

Hey Guys...

I like the Grand Banks! But then I came across an 85 bluewater and Luv the layout and set up of it... im not really looking for a beautiful classic to hand down to children I dont have yet. I want something I can live aboard comfortably while traveling the Great loop, Cruise and Fish the Gulf, whale watch in the NE and, if I get that far... Take the panama canal, take a Left and go south as far as I can then a U-Turn and go North to Alaska...

I know the Bluewater will pretty much handle the East of Panama adventures, but would it handle the Pacific side of things?? And.. Opinions. Tips. Pointers. 'And this One time, at Boat Camp, we...' are welcome also!

We've taken Sandpiper, a 1976 Bluewater PH 39 out into the Pacific, Queen Charlotte etc on several occasions without issues.

I know other BW owners that have taken their boats from California to Puget Sound, BC and Alaska. Others have gone around Vancouver Island without drama.

One owner took the BW from the Pacific, through the Panama Canal and is/was cruising the East Coast.

Sandpiper was moored in Newport, CA in its early years and the previous owners cruised it to Puget Sound, BC and Alaska every year. Sandpiper was equipped with flopper stoppers at the time.

The previous owners also cruised Sandpiper to Hawaii in the early 80's.

A BW in good condition and current on maintenance should be able to go anywhere.

Back
Top Bottom