City: Ocean park
Vessel Name: Tug life
Vessel Model: Nordic tug 26
Wasnít aware of that

Quote:
Originally Posted by syjos View Post
Thanks,

I was aware of that prior to buying.

And after owning it for 21 years, I have most of the issues resolved or restored.

I knew Roger's. He kept his Bluewater in Gig Harbor, WA. He was one of many Bluewater dealers.
Wasnít aware that he was just a dealer. I thought he was the master mind behind the whole thing.I wouldíve kept the one I had if it was a single .it was set up as a twin So I passed it along
Scooby5959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 09:31 PM   #62
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Sandpiper
Vessel Model: Bluewater 40 Pilothouse Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby5959 View Post
Wasn’t aware that he was just a dealer. I thought he was the master mind behind the whole thing.I would’ve kept the one I had if it was a single .it was set up as a twin So I passed it along
Here is a link to the history of the Bluewater PH boats:

https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/...ler-44606.html

Rogers gave me the history which was written by the Calif. Broker.
syjos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 10:49 AM   #63
Veteran Member

City: Olympia
Vessel Name: Rendezvous
Vessel Model: Blue water 40
i was fully aware of the plywood construction before purchasing too. on one hand it's fairly easy to repair when needed, on the other it tends to need more repair than if it were all glass. mine has a few trouble spots that i'll be addressing when time allows, but nothing i can't handle. it's already had a new pb built, new pilot house doors, some new roof/deck sections. i have volumes of information and maintenance records that came with it.
i love the layout, and i wanted the single engine too. so far i'm very happy with it.
Bmarler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 10:57 AM   #64
Guru

Plywood topsides is easier to restore or modify than fiberglass.

Glass boats can have core issues, which is more difficult to repair.
Old 09-23-2021, 11:53 PM   #65
Scraping Paint

I always say choose your poison 6 of 1 , 1/2 a dozen of the other , you know,You have to have a place out of the weather to work on any of these boats , A lot of screwing ,glueing and clamping to get all the curves right. Love the boat though,Great pilot house, covered cockpit , interior living space that doesn’t get much nicer . but it’s a Boat PiTA
Old 09-24-2021, 05:00 AM   #66
Guru

City: Kilmarnock VA
Vessel Name: YellowBird
Vessel Model: 1978 Mainship 34
Kind of a big thread drift here but attached are pics of a friends boat...which I thought was a Bluewater but turned out to be a Ta Chiao. The differences are subtle to the untrained eye (mine). We were very-very interested in it when we were trawler searching years ago. It was just too big for our needs plus we really wanted a flybridge. The owner stored it in a boathouse where it sat ,untouched for 10-12 years. Now he's taken it to a boatyard, where it's stored on the hard, in the open and if somebody doesn't rescue it, she's going to die there.
It has a lot of potential but needs a lot of work, too. Twin Lehmans and stabilized ,on the Chesapeake bay.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG-1363.jpg   IMG-0090.jpg   IMG-0074.jpg  
Old 09-24-2021, 09:55 AM   #67
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomerang View Post
Kind of a big thread drift here but attached are pics of a friends boat...which I thought was a Bluewater but turned out to be a Ta Chiao. The differences are subtle to the untrained eye (mine). We were very-very interested in it when we were trawler searching years ago. It was just too big for our needs plus we really wanted a flybridge. The owner stored it in a boathouse where it sat ,untouched for 10-12 years. Now he's taken it to a boatyard, where it's stored on the hard, in the open and if somebody doesn't rescue it, she's going to die there.
It has a lot of potential but needs a lot of work, too. Twin Lehmans and stabilized ,on the Chesapeake bay.

Those are great trawlers designed by McPhearson, designer of the Bluewaters. They were also sold as Tayanas.

Difference between the Bluewater and Ta Chiao/Tayana:

Bluewater is 39' long - Ta Chiao/Tayana 42'

Bluewater has a 13' beam - Ta Chiao/Tayana 14'

Bluewater has strake lines on hull - Ta Chiao/Tayana has a smooth hull

If you put the Bluewater next to a Ta Chiao/Tayana, the Ta Chiao/Tayana is a significantly larger boat.
Old 09-24-2021, 11:31 AM   #68
Veteran Member

Quote:
Those are great trawlers designed by McPhearson, designer of the Bluewaters. They were also sold as Tayanas.

Difference between the Bluewater and Ta Chiao/Tayana:

Bluewater is 39' long - Ta Chiao/Tayana 42'

Bluewater has a 13' beam - Ta Chiao/Tayana 14'

Bluewater has strake lines on hull - Ta Chiao/Tayana has a smooth hull

If you put the Bluewater next to a Ta Chiao/Tayana, the Ta Chiao/Tayana is a significantly larger boat.
built in the same yard though right?
is that ta chiao the one that sank in the boathouse?
Old 09-24-2021, 11:38 AM   #69
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmarler View Post
built in the same yard though right?
is that ta chiao the one that sank in the boathouse?
I'm not sure of the yard. From the pictures that I have of Sandpiper being built, the only other boats or molds I see are Bluewater sailboats.

Are you referring to the boat that sank at TYC a while back? That was a Bluewater. Cause of sinking undetermined.
Old 09-24-2021, 11:43 AM   #70
Veteran Member

Quote:
I'm not sure of the yard. From the pictures that I have of Sandpiper being built, the only other boats or molds I see are Bluewater sailboats.

Are you referring to the boat that sank at TYC a while back? That was a Bluewater. Cause of sinking undetermined.
i think that TYC bluewater must be the boat i was thinking of. fuzzy memory.
i only thought the bluewater was buit in the ta chiao yard because the electrical panel in my pilothouse says ta chiao brothers right on it.
Old 09-25-2021, 01:36 PM   #71
Scraping Paint

By TYC do you mean Tacoma yacht club

Quote:

If Thatís the Bluewater that sank in a boathouse in Tacoma wa . I owned it for a while .I bought it from the insurance company or a company that liquidates boats for insurance company.I know why it sank , The plumbing in the head cause of the problem . the previous owner told me he thought it was raw water supply for the generator ,it wasnít and he had to know that .so therefore it leads me to only one conclusion that I will leave unsaid. I hauled it to Portland at the time I was able to haul my own boat I owned a truck and a trailer at the time, didnít cost me much a couple of lift fees and moorage is what I had invested in the boat . I cleaned it up remove the bedford engines that were in it and decided I didnít want to invest in re powering a twin.So I passed it along to a boat builder in Chinook Washington , he towed it and tied to the doc in the port of Chinook weíre itís been setting rotting ever sense . Quite a shame couldíve been a very nice boat