Old 06-01-2021, 12:34 AM   #1

City: Scappoose OR
1972 Bluewater 40

Hello, I’m currently looking at a 1972 Bluewater and I cannot find any comparable boats out there and I have no idea of what a reasonable price may be. The boat has twin GMs that I have never really heard about of or know anything about. the boat seems in excellent shape other than the dust and electronics. Boat house kept and so far no rot I could find on the first look.

Any advice or information would be appreciated.

Thanks
Chertude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 06:13 AM   #2
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116 2008
Diesel fuel?
Generator?
Reverse cycle A/C?
I personally dont like V-berths.
Separate shower compartment?
Personally, exterior teak is a downer for me. Maintenance!!!
Over all, nice boat, nice lay out.
Everything is getting old and may need attention.
When you bid, make allowance for replace the A/Cs and HW heater.
Old 06-01-2021, 08:04 AM   #3
Guru

City: Sea of Cortez, Mexico
Vessel Name: Irene
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 40II
You may inquire about the engines on boatdiesel.com, or post their specs here and we will check for you.

There are a few Bluewater sailors on TF - hopefully they will be along shortly. Toad Hall is my dick neighbor, send him a PM in case he misses your inquiry.
Old 06-01-2021, 08:16 AM   #4
Guru

City: Bainbridge Island/Petersburg Alaska
Vessel Name: Oz
Vessel Model: Bluewater 40' RPH 1979
I'm assuming it is a Bluewater trawler and not a Bluewater houseboat. You will find a link on this website for Bluewater trawler owners. We love the overall design of the boat-it's combination of handling and livability. The biggest concerns water ingress in any part of the decks/superstructure. These were not built with the best of plywood. Most, like ours, have rebuilt decks. Like so many other Taiwan boats, wiring was also lacking. We spent twice what we paid for her (and would have been 6x what we should have paid) as well as taking 2 years to rebuild her. We have ended up with a boat that we love and have immensely enjoyed over 15 years and thousands of engine hours of cruising in Alaska. Having done a lot of the work ourselves, we know the boat and all of its systems intimately. Get a survey!

Without knowing more about the boat and it's condition, engine hours, equipment, etc. and what has been done over the years to alleviate its weakness', it would be hard to put a price on it. It could be $5k or, at the extreme upper end $100k. If we were selling ours I would value it at $60k. All wiring, plumbing and heating systems were replaced 15 years ago. All new aluminum windows were installed-most double paned. All decks have been rebuilt. This is just a partial list of the original rebuild. In addition, in the past few years we installed a new 6kw Northern Lights generator, had the hull repainted with LPU and will be installing a new inverter with a new lithium house bank. Hope this helps.

PS. If you see our old boat Shangri La-a GB 50 that is based in Scappose-say "hi".

Tator
Tator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 09:29 AM   #5

Thank you for the information. It’s the 1972 that was at Verco a few years ago. The seller is in his 80s and Nash not cone much with the boat in the past few years. Haul out in 19 for usual stuff. No AC or inverter. 4kw gen, diesel heat and most things seem original. I could not find any signs of leaks, windows all look very good with a few aluminum. Teak deck looks excellent, I can’t believe it’s mostly original but that is what they say. Says he has maintenance records and no real recent survey.
Old 06-01-2021, 10:13 AM   #6
Guru

This is the one with the 48 mile radar?
Are you sure it is still available?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chertude View Post
Thank you for the information. It’s the 1972 that was at Verco a few years ago. The seller is in his 80s and Nash not cone much with the boat in the past few years. Haul out in 19 for usual stuff. No AC or inverter. 4kw gen, diesel heat and most things seem original. I could not find any signs of leaks, windows all look very good with a few aluminum. Teak deck looks excellent, I can’t believe it’s mostly original but that is what they say. Says he has maintenance records and no real recent survey.
Old 06-01-2021, 12:26 PM   #7

It may be becoming available again soon. I looked at I t over the weekend. I believe it did have the 48 mile radar.
Old 06-01-2021, 07:18 PM   #8
Guru

City: Sea of Cortez, Mexico
Vessel Name: Irene
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 40II
Quote:
Originally Posted by IRENE View Post
You may inquire about the engines on boatdiesel.com, or post their specs here and we will check for you.

There are a few Bluewater sailors on TF - hopefully they will be along shortly. Toad Hall is my dick neighbor, send him a PM in case he misses your inquiry.
Dock NOT di**. My apologies. He is probably the nicest guy, ever...
Old 06-01-2021, 08:24 PM   #9
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chertude View Post
It may be becoming available again soon. I looked at I t over the weekend. I believe it did have the 48 mile radar.
It will only reach to the horizon. You "might" find a storm over the horizon.
I liked mine on my N46.
Old 06-02-2021, 01:26 AM   #10

Sorry for all the generic questions but we currently have a completely restored Carver 370 that my wife loves. We just came across one of those deals we couldn’t pass up. But I have always wanted a Pilot house trawler for long range and heading to the San Juan’s or south from the Columbia. I almost had her on a couple Grand Banks Classics but she didn’t like the layout. I know this boat would need upgrades but is it worth it? Should we wait a few years and run at a Krogen or other trawler? I will retire again in about 3 years to have time to cruise. I never saw the Blue Water until looking at a package deal and I really liked the boat. But I seem to like somethings about any boat I see. It has been boat house kept its whole life and it shows. I would continue that as I am looking at boat houses currently. I love the fact that it is different and so nautical but would I be making a regrettable mistake. Thanks again, this is the only place I have found with any information on this limited edition boat.
Old 06-02-2021, 07:42 AM   #11
Guru

City: Bainbridge Island/Petersburg Alaska
Vessel Name: Oz
Vessel Model: Bluewater 40' RPH 1979
Just remember, it's not Antiques Roadshow or a classic car. I would rather have a similar boat that has utilized modern materials in the repair and had equipment and systems upgraded. There's no premium (in fact, the opposite) for original patina or original condition. That the original condition is solid and doesn't need repair is however a plus over any crappy condition.

We love the basics of our Bluewater-handling, tankage, interior design and space,etc. IMO I would guess that this boat would be in the $35k to $45k range.

Tator
Tator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 07:21 PM   #12
Veteran Member

City: Sequim
Vessel Name: Toad Hall
Vessel Model: Bluewater 40
Hey Chertude.

Just sent you a PM

Joe
Toadhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 07:22 PM   #13
Veteran Member

City: Sequim
Vessel Name: Toad Hall
Vessel Model: Bluewater 40
Quote:

You had me laughing so hard I woke up Mrs Toad.
Toadhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 07:51 PM   #14

City: lockhart
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadhall View Post
You had me laughing so hard I woke up Mrs Toad.
I was wondering if you'd catch that. I laughed pretty hard, too. I was imagining your face when you saw your booboo. I could almost hear the gasp.
phillippeterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 08:54 AM   #15

City: St Cloud
Chertrude...

What did you come up with??
I saw an 85 42' Sport Fisher/Trawler locally. Luved the layout!! While investigating them. They have ALL kinds of options and motors available. The local one had big DD V8s and No engine bay room. But another had twin Yanmars but no pic or model listed.
Psychowolff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2021, 04:04 PM   #16
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Sandpiper
Vessel Model: Bluewater 40 Pilothouse Trawler
Late to the party.

BW condition can be all over the map. Some of the early ones had cored hulls that are now saturated. Decks, house walls and roofs were glass over questionable plywood and have many water issues. Windows were installed without sealing the plywood edges leading to leaks.

Working on the superstructure is an easy woodworking project for handy people. See the various completed projects on the Bluewater section.

Sandpiper has had everything except the engine and transmission replaced or rebuilt in our 21 year ownership including a new generator and inverter. If we were to sell it, we don't expect to get much more than $55,000 to $70,000.

We paid $65,000 for it in 2000.

The solid glass hulls are thick and very strong.
syjos is offline   Reply With Quote