trawler vs powercat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Cats do provide more space for the same length and are more stable, especially at rest so I think they do offer advantage taht a monohull may not. Here is something that might suit you and should be able to motor it up to where you are.

bp4686585502726754958.jpg

STANYON-ALUMINIUM-POWER-CAT

Here is a link to the designer http://www.stanyonmarineconsulting.com.au/

Last edited:
Didn't the OP suggest that he was considering an American Tug???
Shouldn't that have been the end of this thread? I mean he'd obviously reached the pinnacle of yacht design with an American Tug...
Just sayin...
Bruce

you've pretty much pegged me. i've been looking most closely at the under 37 fountane pajots. performance definitely not the major motivator, but performance in terms of better efficiency, i'll gladly take. the spacepus main interior certainly adds to it's liveaboard appeal, but the gamechanger is in fact, the smaller displacement. i've since heard from some boaters in the PH islands that i'll be moving to. powercats are the way to go for livesboard without sacrificing accessbility. of course, you can still do a tug trawler, if your heart is set on it, but i am leaniing a 32-37 powercat

Referring to the original post, if as you say, performance really wasn't an issue for you, I can't think of any reason (save perhaps the shallow draft) that a powercat would be a better choice than a monohull. On the other hand, you did say living aboard was, so at least one sub-40 powercat offers exceptional living-aboard space, namely the aforementioned Endeavour 36. Three staterooms, great salon, huge head with separate shower, and decent engine access under the aft stateroom bunks. Nice semi-enclosed helm with plenty of seating. Enough deck and walkway space to fish from anywhere. It's low profile and a 16 ft. beam give it a low center of gravity and favorable windage but not so wide that slips are impossible. It's a function over form design (ugly), but about the only real negative is that the bridge deck height is pretty low, and she does slam a bit in head seas. They can be bought for around 150K.

The PDQ 34 is surely the efficiency king among the lot. Better design, less interior space (although very good), and handles like a sports car from either the strategically centered interior helm or a very spacious flybridge. I love it and would probably have one if I wasn't so big and stiff. Stepping into the hulls is difficult and climbing into the queen bunks are negatives for me, but fine for lesser, more elastic frames. Engine access is also tight but doable. I have to lay on the engines and change the impellers blind. 16 ft. beam, decent windage,... really a wonderful boat.

If it were my money, I wouldn't spend it on a Fontaine Pajot in any length under the 37 foot Maryland. Good Maryland's are available within your budget and the extra length gives some better maintenance access, decent heads, larger salon, and if you can live with the creeking and groaning, the design does pretty good in heavy water too. Windage is not as good as the other two but still OK, and the beam won't kill you.

There's a host of different livable cats around Australia, South Africa and Thailand by the way, and shipping from there would likely be much cheaper. Best of luck.

wow, that is impressive. 40' is a lot of aluminum hull for a 15 yr old boat at ($203K USD)? if i weren't a year away from moving on my inquiries, i'd really want to be following up on this one. if it were mine today, i'd be happily aboard, polishing it's entirety. but a year from now it will more likely be a 6-10 yr old powercat closer to 30' range, and in fiberglass. mostly because more of that will come up at $200k, than this somewhat rare bird. but i definitely will keep the builder of these boats in my radar.

much thanks

Cats do provide more space for the same length and are more stable, especially at rest so I think they do offer advantage that a monohull may not. Here is something that might suit you and should be able to motor it up to where you are.

bp4686585502726754958.jpg

STANYON-ALUMINIUM-POWER-CAT

Here is a link to the designer Marine Surveyor | Marine Consultants

inboard, outboard or any kind of space, i'm a mechanic that can pull and fix any engine blindfolded, so i can't share in that concern.

plus, i'm looking at building a stand alone electric powered vessel, via oceanvolt or elco motor yachts. it takes a fraction of my know-how to DIY retrofitting an existing diesel guzzler to go from dollars to pennies in running costs. plus, a pure electric boat has near zero mechanical maintenance, and your range all depends on how many big lithiums you want to shell out for and and allot the storage space for.

Sometimes, working blind (or maybe with a mirror) and with extension tools -- upside down, in a position where you can't get any leverage on anything -- is "access reality." I can't speak to access being better or worse on power cats versus monohulls, but I can say service access trumps living space when we're shopping. Doesn't have anything to do with what I know how to fix (a different challenge); it's all about whether I can reasonably reach whatever needs fixing.

Lots of threads here and on cruisersforum.com (sister site) about electric propulsion. One of those was here, about a conversion to Elco electric. My take on those 432 or so threads is that electricity ain't free, it can be great for short distances (e.g., sailors in and out of a marina), beyond that it gets a bit shaky unless you have an aircraft carrier deck for solar real estate., and hybrids might work depending on mission... and then all versions are more likely to be more expensive than simple diesel propulsion. You can read all those yourself and draw your own conclusions.

-Chris

yes, that sums up electric. a good choice for sailers moving around the marina. when 1 mpg is considered good mileage, it becomes clear that even the lithium can't meet the massive energy demands of boat propulsion. i've estimated that you would need to have 6-8 times the weight in lithiums to 500 gallons of diesel. then with your boat almost sinking from the weight, you'd still have the issue of charging time even with the highest output charging stations. electric is not quite there for large stand alone power boats.

Sometimes, working blind (or maybe with a mirror) and with extension tools -- upside down, in a position where you can't get any leverage on anything -- is "access reality." I can't speak to access being better or worse on power cats versus monohulls, but I can say service access trumps living space when we're shopping. Doesn't have anything to do with what I know how to fix (a different challenge); it's all about whether I can reasonably reach whatever needs fixing.

Lots of threads here and on cruisersforum.com (sister site) about electric propulsion. One of those was here, about a conversion to Elco electric. My take on those 432 or so threads is that electricity ain't free, it can be great for short distances (e.g., sailors in and out of a marina), beyond that it gets a bit shaky unless you have an aircraft carrier deck for solar real estate., and hybrids might work depending on mission... and then all versions are more likely to be more expensive than simple diesel propulsion. You can read all those yourself and draw your own conclusions.

-Chris

Greetings,
Mr. hh. Interesting BUT Not one picture of the mechanical areas and no mention of draft (that I noticed). No fuel capacity listed...Pretty shoddy on the part of the listing broker IMO...

Cats usually require end tie or two fingers. Limited mooring options. Recommend minimum 40 ft for liveaboard.

While we now have and love the Endeavour 44 trawler cat, we looked at the Fontaine Pajot MY 37 & 44. They are great.BOats with speed and livability, but since the MY line is relatively recent, I did not see any available for under $400,000+, most much more.

Speaking of catamarans... we were traveling near a Leopard 51 Power Cat over the last few days, VERY nice looking boat, at least from the outside. Dunno what the accommodations are like or what the interior layout is, but we liked the way it looked.

-Chris

Speaking of catamarans... we were traveling near a Leopard 51 Power Cat over the last few days, VERY nice looking boat, at least from the outside. Dunno what the accommodations are like or what the interior layout is, but we liked the way it looked.

-Chris

We saw that boat as well in a couple days ago during our travels from Solomons to Beaufort. My shipmate was familiar with them and felt the sleeping accommodations were still a bit claustrophobic, but otherwise pretty good boats.

We saw that boat as well in a couple days ago during our travels from Solomons to Beaufort. My shipmate was familiar with them and felt the sleeping accommodations were still a bit claustrophobic, but otherwise pretty good boats.

Yeah, the berths in cats we've been on haven't been of the walk-around variety... and that'd be a step backwards, for us.

We may have passed each other along the way; we came from Annapolis and made Swansboro yesterday. Steady rain now and high offshore winds predicted (hopefully not a factor), not sure if we'll move to Wrightsville Beach today or not.

-Chris

Back
Top Bottom