Changed teams!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gabe n Em

Guru
Vessel Name
Volans
Vessel Make
2001 PDQ MV 32
Maybe that's the wrong title....

We sold our 40' mainship in the fall and have purchased a 32' pdq. Most will know the pdq 34. Ours is very similar, just a slightly earlier version. We've got the 75hp yanmars and can do 16kts upwind (WOT) during the sea trial. The space is similar, yet different, compared to our SD trawler. It seems to be a huge platform. We'll need some help making this adjustment, but we're looking forward to seeing what she'll do.

We've heard weight is a big concern and we're doing our best to keep her trim as we get ready for the season. Anyone have any other tips/tricks to suggest for some seasoned boaters who are new to the big catamaran game?

A couple photos to keep people interested!

Attachments

• IMG_20200428_122151734.jpg
    IMG_20200428_122151734.jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_20200512_162116177.jpg
    IMG_20200512_162116177.jpg
    175.1 KB · Views: 114
What's the beam? Do you anticipate any problems finding transient space in marinas? (I'm not familiar with the East coast)

The best tip I can pass is don't believe other catamaran guys that they dont throw a big wake so you can go whatever speed you want.. :).

She's 16.5' wide. We have more options for slips this year than we did two years ago when we first came to RI in our mainship. But there are definitely "extenuating circumstances" this year.

Psneed, I was surprised at the sea trial... we might try wake surfing this year! I'm kidding, but at 12 kts, 18,000 lbs does move a lot of water around

Gabe n Em, with that cat you can go a lot of places, economically and comfortably. Shoal draft but easy motion in a swell or chop, and a piece of cake to maneuver.

You're right to be mindful of weight, I guess, but it's not like she's a pontoon boat. Most of my time in multihulls of that size has been sailing cats, e.g., Fontaine Pajot and similar. The downsides were tight quarters working on the engines, and snug berths. Otherwise, you get a lot of boat in a relatively short LOA. Look forward to learning more about your experience.

Maybe that's the wrong title....

We've heard weight is a big concern and we're doing our best to keep her trim as we get ready for the season. Anyone have any other tips/tricks to suggest for some seasoned boaters who are new to the big catamaran game?

Don't worry so much about the weight. That's more of a concern with a sailing catamaran. You do however want to watch the weight in the bows. By this I mean normal storage is ok, just no extra water/fuel tanks installed in the bows. You're gonna love the maneuverability of twin engines combined with that beam!

"Changed Teams"? Hmmm, Not the best analogy. How about Mono Hull to Cat.

pete

Congrats! I like those PDQs a lot.

Congratulations, I think the PDQ 34 is one of the most elegantly simple designs afloat. For now, I need a slightly bigger boat, but when I grow up, I think a PDQ 32/34 might be in my future.
Best,
Maldwin

Last edited:
Got room?

Attachments

• Pittsburg also.jpg
    Pittsburg also.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 103
I have always admire the line of PDQs.
Sadly, the wife (at the time) was not comfortable in the confining hulls of the 34. There is the same problem as with all live aboard, lack of storage space for clothing accented by no hanging closet.
The other down side is the beam. I do own a 75 ft slip which will accommodate the beam of the 34 or the 41, to be honest, the slip is a long way to the gate. I ended up buying a second slip (55ft) real close to the gate. Alas, the width of the slip cannot accommodate the beam of the 34.
It is too bad PDQ was unable to survive.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone! Yes, the maneuverability is unbelievable. And we've already used the shoal draft to wedge ourselves into our current slip in 3.5' of water in a dredged out Creek of a Marina. Nice and calm, all the time.

I guess there were not too many PDQ41s made.

On your PDQ, how did you over come the lack of a hanging closet of the 34?
I dont think the 41 has a hanging closet either.

Last edited:
Only 10 or 12 PDQ41s unfortunately. And I think I heard that one burned? They have a good reputation for sure.

We've actually got a small hanging locker in each stateroom behind the door. Additionally, I think there's one in the "passageway" in the starboard hull. I'll have to find a photo.They're small though - maybe wide enough for a dozen shirts if you shoved them in there? I'd say these boats have almost too much storage space if the weight concerns are true.

Here's one from my phone looking into the starboard hull. We're cleaning under the floorboards but you can see the hanging locker, closed, opposite the stairs. There's one about this side in each cabin as well. Additionally, in reach cabin, there's two deep cabinets for folded laundry as well as a shallow cabinet with shelves for knick knacks

Attachments

• IMG_20200511_121029095.jpg
    IMG_20200511_121029095.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 68
Here's one from my phone looking into the starboard hull. We're cleaning under the floorboards but you can see the hanging locker, closed, opposite the stairs. There's one about this side in each cabin as well. Additionally, in reach cabin, there's two deep cabinets for folded laundry as well as a shallow cabinet with shelves for knick knacks

and for canned goods and dry goods storage and washer/dryer?
Never too much storage if doing long distance cruising. SMIRK
Did you install small water maker yet?

Last edited:
I'm going to hijack this thread. Since it is "OldDan 1943" who gave me the idea and he is sort of holding this thread together I hope he doesn't mind.

He mentions having a slip at the end of the pier, pretty far from the gate. Then buying another one closer to the gate. It got me to thinking. My slip is pretty far from the gate but I actually prefer it (although we don't actually have a gate). We are a private marina so sightseers are not really a problem but with twenty or thirty boats on my pier that can cause a lot of foot and boat traffic past the boats closer to the gate. The fishermen like to go out at about 0430 and their loading up and just normal conversation can disturb my sleep. Lots of kids running up and down the pier on weekends (I love kids, BTW) Dog walking and bathroom runs combine for a lot of traffic near the gate.

The downside, of course is a longer walk to the bathroom and shower and further to haul groceries. Not a big deal for us. A big "PLUS" is the fact that I get to know the neighbors a little more from my morning stroll and trips to the marina.

Give me a slip at the far end of the pier every time !!

Sorry for the hijack,

pete

I'm going to hijack this thread. Since it is "OldDan 1943" who gave me the idea and he is sort of holding this thread together I hope he doesn't mind.

He mentions having a slip at the end of the pier, pretty far from the gate. Then buying another one closer to the gate. It got me to thinking. My slip is pretty far from the gate but I actually prefer it (although we don't actually have a gate). We are a private marina so sightseers are not really a problem but with twenty or thirty boats on my pier that can cause a lot of foot and boat traffic past the boats closer to the gate. The fishermen like to go out at about 0430 and their loading up and just normal conversation can disturb my sleep. Lots of kids running up and down the pier on weekends (I love kids, BTW) Dog walking and bathroom runs combine for a lot of traffic near the gate.

The downside, of course is a longer walk to the bathroom and shower and further to haul groceries. Not a big deal for us. A big "PLUS" is the fact that I get to know the neighbors a little more from my morning stroll and trips to the marina.

Give me a slip at the far end of the pier every time !!

Sorry for the hijack,

pete

The slip is not at the end of the pier. It has pilings and finger dock on one side and pilings on the other side. My AT34 would rattle around like peas in a tin can. SMIRK
This is a gated community.
Use the head and shower on your boat, then provide free pump outs.
This marina also provides golf cart rides to and from your car. Now that is nice. 8am to 10pm
When I say "free", I mean tips are greatly appreciated.
4 times a year I shell out $500 plus another $500 for Christmas. 4 dock people and the marina secretary.
LOL I can always tell when the tip should be renewed, the service slows down just a little bit.

Last edited:
We're going to stay in new England for the next few years so extended cruising needs are on the back burner for now. We'll probably only get a week here, a week there for now.

We got out for our first overnight cruise this weekend. We did a circumnavigation of conanicut island and loved the"speed". We cruised at 12 kts and ate up the chop on the bay. We're really pleased with our new boat.

Attachments

• IMG_20200517_105107070.jpg
    IMG_20200517_105107070.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_20200517_092040299.jpg
    IMG_20200517_092040299.jpg
    161.3 KB · Views: 57
We're going to stay in new England for the next few years so extended cruising needs are on the back burner for now. We'll probably only get a week here, a week there for now.

We got out for our first overnight cruise this weekend. We did a circumnavigation of conanicut island and loved the"speed". We cruised at 12 kts and ate up the chop on the bay. We're really pleased with our new boat.

:thumb:

I love reading these new boat posts! It’s fun to see someone who is in love with there new vessel. Thanks for taking us along for the ride!

I do hope the molds still exist with the intent to start production in better economic times.

hi,

we've had a 2003 mv34 for 15 years. don't know if you know about it but you want to get on PDQ OWNERS FORUM - Index page. everything you'll ever want to know and it's still active with people who know the 32/34s. we have a friend in ft lauderdale who has/had a 32.

where do you keep it in ri?

7mpg at 7kts - I'm jealous!

I looked at the PDQ Owner’s Forum and discovered a few things. Everything is many years old, they still want you to register to look at the good stuff.

Duetto, I'm on there already and I recognize your handle from the forum. We have a slip in wickford this year but plan to be pretty mobile. Are you in the area? I'd love to compare notes once this COVID junk is over.

We're going to take a look in potters cove (Prudence) tomorrow. If it's not too crazy, we might stay the night.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom