Aluminum Semi-Displacement Catamaran Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That really sucks. Here you are paying them an incredible amount of money and still we see that same attitude that is so prevalent amongst contractors and suppliers.

I work for one of the premier organizations on Earth and you should see how our vendors and contractors treat us. Crap. It really is

Hey Mako, In my manufacturing business the customer service rule was every customer was on speed dial. If something changes with their order, let them know as soon as possible. I really think the business world has changed. It now seems to be based on getting the deposit at all costs and then keeping all info away from light if day. Sad to see this although I know that there are still great companies out there.

So how far are you from the shipyard - What city are they in versus where you are?

I am 2200 mi from their plant. Not ideal. I remain hopeful that they get this worked out. It is a well known builder and his product is superior to most in his field. I must admit though that I was warned about delivery issues.

I have not updated things because there has not been a lot to show since the end of December. In order to finish my boat in a timely manner, we mutually agreed with the original builder and a new builder to transition the project over to a new builder for the final work. The new builder has been on the job for just over a week and they have made some good progress in that time.

As of yesterday, doors are hung, davit is going in, vents to engine room are in, the cushion guy has completed the settee cushions, and they are knocking out a lot of the details. By the way - if anyone needs a recommendation for a cushion guy in North Carolina, PM me. I'm happy to put you in contact with a guy I've been happy with.

Attachments

• 2_11 Stern Vent 1.jpg
    2_11 Stern Vent 1.jpg
    152.2 KB · Views: 51
  • 1_28 Cabin 3.jpg
    1_28 Cabin 3.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
Larmex,
I'm sorry to hear about your situation. I wish you the best and will shoot you an email.

Just had a question via email I thought I'd answer here. Everyone working on the boat just seems like they want to do a good job and get her in the water. Sea trials are now expected to be end of March.

Many of the guys working on finishing her up are the same guys that have been working on her. I have confidence in them and have built a good rapport with them. The interior work has been subcontracted to a very talented guy and I'm happy with the way the galley shaped up. Most of the equipment is on hand and we're just sorting out how to do the stainless countertop in the galley.

Attachments

• 1_28 Cabin 4.jpg
    1_28 Cabin 4.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 55
Just had a question via email I thought I'd answer here. Everyone working on the boat just seems like they want to do a good job and get her in the water. Sea trials are now expected to be end of March.

Many of the guys working on finishing her up are the same guys that have been working on her. I have confidence in them and have built a good rapport with them. The interior work has been subcontracted to a very talented guy and I'm happy with the way the galley shaped up. Most of the equipment is on hand and we're just sorting out how to do the stainless countertop in the galley.

It is starting to look amazing. I always follow your updates. Why did you change builders?

It is starting to look amazing. I always follow your updates. Why did you change builders?

Thanks, I think it's an impressive looking beast - but I may be biased. There were a number of reasons, but one of the biggest is we all agreed this was the best way to get things wrapped up in a timely manner.

Thanks, I think it's an impressive looking beast - but I may be biased. There were a number of reasons, but one of the biggest is we all agreed this was the best way to get things wrapped up in a timely manner.

Great! My wish dream boat (sail) would be in aluminum.

Great! My wish dream boat (sail) would be in aluminum.

There's a lot to be said for aluminum, even with the drawbacks. Some of the sailboats the Dutch manufacturers produce are downright works of art!

Thanks for putting in all the effort to keep this thread updated. The boat is amazing and right in line with what I am planning for a future build (a Jutson design more similar to the Wasabi boat). Your pictures, specs, and explanations are very helpful. I am especially interested to learn what kind of economy you end up getting fully loaded at a few different displacement speeds.

While I'm working toward funding my own project, threads like these keep me inspired (even the hard parts). There is another blog of someone who self-built an aluminum sailboat that I feel did a fantastic job and addressed issues of insulation, standpipes compared to a sea chest, etc. with good explanations. They are sailing the boat now, so questions about decisions made can be answered with how it actually worked out... The blog is oddly listed in reverse order, but if you want to check it out (I have no affiliation with the project or builder in any way): http://www.odysseyyachts.com/Odyssey_Yachts/BUILDING_BLOG/Archive.html

Congratulations on an amazing project and boat, and I'm sure the end result will be incredible. Thanks again!

I am especially interested to learn what kind of economy you end up getting fully loaded at a few different displacement speeds.

The blog is oddly listed in reverse order, but if you want to check it out (I have no affiliation with the project or builder in any way): Building Odyssey

Glad this has been of value. I made some notes when WASABI's owner let me take a short cruise on her. I captured various RPM's, speed, a qualitative assessment of wake size, and fuel consumption. But when I sat down later and started looking at my notes, I got some bad numbers that made me assume I didn't set the RPM and give the boat time to achieve the correct speed. Of course, that threw off the miles per gallon calculation - so who knows how efficient WASABI is?

I'll certainly try to do a better job when I accept delivery. Good luck with your project, and when you get ready to pull the trigger, send me a PM. I know some of the builders in this industry and would be happy to give you feedback based on where you decide to build. Also, I don't want this thread to devolve into contract discussions, but I've got some strong opinions on how to approach contracting as well.

It's been a while since I looked at the ODYSSEY blog, I'll have to take some time to catch up on it. Thanks!

Construction is starting to get back on track after some significant delays.

Bomar sliding doors are installed on cabin port, starboard, and aft. These are pretty sturdy doors!

Second shot is the head finally getting finished.

Third is starboard side deck. For some reason, the original builder left hand rails off much of the side deck and the guys have now corrected that.

Last shot is non-skid deck paint going on.

Attachments

• 2_18 Port Cabin Door Closed 2.jpg
    2_18 Port Cabin Door Closed 2.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 54
  • 2_18 Head 1.jpg
    2_18 Head 1.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 56
  • 2_18 Starboard Side Deck.jpg
    2_18 Starboard Side Deck.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 62
  • 2_18 Deck Paint.jpg
    2_18 Deck Paint.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 59
Two more shots: bow quarter and port boarding door.

They have yet to fabricate the aft cockpit doors - we're still sorting out what those will look like.

Attachments

• 2_18 Bow Quarter.jpg
    2_18 Bow Quarter.jpg
    168.6 KB · Views: 66
  • 2_18 Port Boarding Door 2.jpg
    2_18 Port Boarding Door 2.jpg
    149.6 KB · Views: 64
Looks great BKay! All the biggest challenges should be behind you now. Congrats. Everyone here is looking forward to getting your performance specs once you get that beauty out on the water.

Looks great BKay! All the biggest challenges should be behind you now.

Thanks, we've still got a few items that need to be corrected. Fortunately, the same actual guys are doing the work going forward, and they were quick to point out things we needed to fix. So I'm hoping there won't be much drama and it's all sunshine and happiness from here forward - hey, a guy can dream.

Slowly but surely...

A few update photos they've sent me. I'm heading down next week to see how close they are to meeting the next milestone. There are a lot of details left but the guys are making progress.

First shot is where the head stood as of last week. It's hard to work in there with the cramped space.

Second shot is the galley table in rough finish. Still needs to sand, radius the corners, and epoxy coat it. The guy doing the finish work is doing this on contract - he works for a large high-dollar manufacturer that I probably shouldn't name here. But he does nice work!

Last shot is the aft helm. I see they went with the cheapest wheel on the market. Oh well...at least it's there finally.

Attachments

• 2_28 Head 2.jpg
    2_28 Head 2.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 53
  • 3_4 Table 3.jpg
    3_4 Table 3.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 55
  • 2_28 Aft Helm.jpg
    2_28 Aft Helm.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 50
Thanks very much for your continual posing photos. This is a great thread that will be available for people to look at many years to come.

Richard

Well, I have to post this. The table is still only roughed in, but Ken wetted it to show me the grain - no one will ever notice the crumbs on the table with grain like that.

Attachments

• 3_4 Table 5.jpg
    3_4 Table 5.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 39
Getting closer to end-game. Work is slowing because they are being cautious with workers and social distancing. So only one person in a particular area at a time. They plan on dropping her in the water in the next week or so to mark the waterline.

First shot - cockpit and engine room are essentially done. They will paint the deck when the interior is almost finished to reduce the foot traffic on the paint.

Second shot - the deck forward of the helm is painted with non-skid. They told me they'd kill me if I walked on it. I think they were joking but I'm not 100% sure.

Third shot - galley countertop is stainless steel. They keep putting off finishing it up because they are concerned it will get scratched. Seeing how they leave equipment laying around I share the concern.

Last shot - the doors for the settee faces are made and probably hung as I type this. I'm still waiting to see the platform under the galley table go in. Then flooring and countertop and they are essentially done in the main cabin (they are still waiting for a couple items to connect the stove LP line, solenoid, and remote shut off).

Attachments

• 3_25 Aft Cockpit.jpg
    3_25 Aft Cockpit.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 38
  • 3_25 Starboard Side Deck.jpg
    3_25 Starboard Side Deck.jpg
    165.1 KB · Views: 40
  • 3_25 Galley 1.jpg
    3_25 Galley 1.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 39
  • 3_25 Deckhouse 2.jpg
    3_25 Deckhouse 2.jpg
    139.3 KB · Views: 51
Good progress! This is going to be such a unique and interesting boat when finished. Love it.

This is such an interesting, specialized design, and a great account of building an aluminum cat. Looking forward to the finish line, as I suspect Bkay is!

Looking great, love the grab rails on the ceiling..

Gene, how are things with you?

Grab rail was a great idea poorly executed. The trim around it and fit of some of the aluminum was pretty lame. The new builder finishing the boat (and more importantly, the guys doing the work) all said they didn't like the current gaps and poor fit. So they are keeping the rail but modifying the trim and rebending some of the aluminum.

I like the heart these guys have and I think they will get it functional and good looking.

Gene, how are things with you?

Grab rail was a great idea poorly executed. The trim around it and fit of some of the aluminum was pretty lame. The new builder finishing the boat (and more importantly, the guys doing the work) all said they didn't like the current gaps and poor fit. So they are keeping the rail but modifying the trim and rebending some of the aluminum.

I like the heart these guys have and I think they will get it functional and good looking.

It’s hard to see the detail , but I like the two sided angled design, looks like it would give you a nice grip when needed..

Things are going well considering how crazy the world is right now. Trying to finish up a building project and get on with the next phase of our lives. The world events have cramped my style a bit..

I looks like you are getting close to getting her in the water..I’m sure you are excited, looks like your going to have a great summer..

See you in Northeast one of these days, Gene..

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom