40' displacement powercat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We didn't really want two heads/two showers in a 40' but that allows some access to the front of the engine via doors in the rear shower bulkhead.
We are fitting twin 120A alternators to the Yanmars to really crank some power into the LiFePO4 batteries. We can access them the same way.

20210930_112849.jpg
20211005_130516.jpg

that's a really good idea to have that access to the front of the engines, looks like a lot of the service requirements are at the front. where is the raw water pump drive?

As far as I'm concerned, there's no such thing as 'too much access' to engines. I have two Volvo Penta KAD-300s, and they look like they've been shoehorned in. Fortunately, all the important service points are accessible from in front and above, so overall OK. darkside's access looks delicious (can that be said of access? I think so!).

that's a really good idea to have that access to the front of the engines, looks like a lot of the service requirements are at the front. where is the raw water pump drive?
Port side of the motor… impeller access backside of the pump. Not easy access. My mechanics usually just removed pump to change impeller, as they were that much of a pain. The port motor especially caused much cursing.

Great motor though! :flowers:

On the Yanmar 4JH2E you more or less couldn't get to the impellor without removing the starter motor. I got quite good at that after 30,000 odd miles. Yes there were language issues occasionally.

On the Yanmar 4JH2E you more or less couldn't get to the impellor without removing the starter motor. I got quite good at that after 30,000 odd miles. Yes there were language issues occasionally.

I'm in the process of changing my impeller. I haven't hit on quite the right tool and body angle yet, but I'm getting close. I agree the cat arrangement presents a few unique challenges.

Yesterday my wife asked why I was trying to find or build just the right tool for my situation. I sarcastically told her "because building complex tools is something only humans can do - it's why we're the apex predator." She responded deadpan by telling me "creating a banking system that allows you to exchange money for another's services is also uniquely human". Touche'

That's gold Bkay.
We were trying to get my son to say "crayfish" back when he was little and asked;
"What does daddy dive for?"
"Ummm... tools?"

The prop tunnels and shelf to the steering cylinders
20210723_133111.jpg

More of the rear step with the deck skin on.
20210802_120916.jpg
20210802_120946.jpg

And a render of the layout with the roof off
00 16.jpg

@darkside: are you planning a remote engine/steering control for docking? I have seen these in action and they look v. useful. I probably can't retrofit one on my boat. Still, will investigate, and I could move the downstairs controls to the aft deck. Much safer when single-handing than running down the stairs from the bridge.

@darkside: are you planning a remote engine/steering control for docking? I have seen these in action and they look v. useful.

I find these indispensable for single handing. Especially if you don't have side doors by the lower station.

Not sure why but I'm not getting email advice of updates to this thread. How do I fix that?

Thanks ?

GD
Look a the upper bar, for "thread tools", open that, in the drop down is "unsubscribe from this thread" select that and you will no longer get those notifications.

I find these indispensable for single handing. Especially if you don't have side doors by the lower station.

What remote control brand are you using?

We were watching a YouTube video blog where the owners use remote helm controls when docking and it sure did work well. The video was not about the remote at all, the remote was just seen as the boat was docked. The boat has side doors, but is a big boat, and the remote really made things easier since one could walk to wherever was needed and SEE the dock.

Later,
Dan

There will be a be a cockpit helm on top of the fridge. The home marina berth will be pretty tight with a center pole so basically the boat can't move much when you are in.
I have a dock line set up and have a solid cleat on top of the gunwale aft.
Once you have a loop on that you are fine.

20210910_094012.jpg

The cockpit console and rear rails going in.

20210910_093948.jpg
20210910_093929.jpg
20210927_115033.jpg

There will be a be a cockpit helm on top of the fridge.

Can't quite picture that; intriguing idea though!

What remote control brand are you using?

Later,
Dan

Sorry, mine is not a remote, it's is an alternate steering station similar to what darkside is designing. I don't have any good photos on this device, but if you zoom in you can see it on the starboard side of the cabin. Visibility forward is marginally acceptable, but it's a great help in either backing or laying starboard side to a dock - especially when I'm by myself.

Like the comment above, once I get an aft spring in place, everything else is kid stuff.

Attachments

• 20210929_160719.jpg
    20210929_160719.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 37
Greetings,
Mr. KL. Cockpit helms are fairly common on working and "Downeast" style boats.

iu

Fly by wire technology allows placement almost anywhere.

Hello RT,

Yes, it's the same here; all the commercial fishing boats and work boats have a second helm position, usually on the aft deck. On our boat, the controls are not fly by wire, but rather cables and hoses; we are wondering if it might be worth moving the bottom helm position (which we have never used) to a similar position.

Sorry, mine is not a remote, it's is an alternate steering station similar to what darkside is designing. I don't have any good photos on this device, but if you zoom in you can see it on the starboard side of the cabin. Visibility forward is marginally acceptable, but it's a great help in either backing or laying starboard side to a dock - especially when I'm by myself.

Like the comment above, once I get an aft spring in place, everything else is kid stuff.

Thank you and agree about the spring line. We call it the Marriage Saver. :rofl:

Alternate steering stations are a PITA from a design stand point. If they are in the cockpit, aka, the space aft of the pilot house, they take up valuable space that I would like to use for something else...:nonono:

If the alternate steering station is on a fly bridge, that is good, but now how do I get down from the fly bridge to use the spring line? And the fly bridge adds height to the boat I don't want. :nonono:

A remote helm, wired or wireless lets one move around the boat and see the dock or mooring ball. :thumb: But I would not want to use it to helm the boat for any length of time, maybe you can, but it aint the same as an alternative helm position. <sigh> :nonono:

However, a cockpit helm, or one on the fly bridge, would allow one to helm when the weather is nice. :thumb:

Tis a compromise.... :rofl:

Later,
Dan

dannc wrote,
If the alternate steering station is on a fly bridge, that is good, but now how do I get down from the fly bridge to use the spring line?

Exactly the problem I face. So, having dual helm positions, I am inclined to move the lower position's wheel and throttles to the aft deck. I'd get near docking position from the bridge, then run down the stairs to the new aft deck helm position. I think this will make life a lot easier in the absence of the Admiral.

Back at the boat today so thought I should post some more.
The cabins

20210910_094150.jpg

Integrated fuel tanks

20210910_094204.jpg

The helm station

20210927_115022.jpg

dannc wrote,

Exactly the problem I face. So, having dual helm positions, I am inclined to move the lower position's wheel and throttles to the aft deck. I'd get near docking position from the bridge, then run down the stairs to the new aft deck helm position. I think this will make life a lot easier in the absence of the Admiral.

A wired or wireless remote helm seems to be the "best" solution that I can find. With a remote helm, one can get move to see what needs to be seen, dock solo if needed, or just help the crew.

The boat we are using lately has just enough free board to hide the dock. You have to depend on the crew to some extent to warn you as you come in a bit blind. With a remote helm, I could step out of the cockpit and have a view of the dock and the side of the boat.

Later,
Dan

Starting to look like a boat.

20210927_115148.jpg

Rear deck detail, we fish a lot

20210927_115116.jpg

20210927_115045.jpg

Probably an error here. The engine hatch is nice and wide but hinged too far outboard. It can't stand upright so will have to rely on the gas spring and a safety strut I guess. The lazarette hatch is correct.

20210930_112825.jpg

GD
Look a the upper bar, for "thread tools", open that, in the drop down is "unsubscribe from this thread" select that and you will no longer get those notifications.

Thanks for that. I WANT to receive updates for this thread but am not (I do receive them for other threads though ??). I've unsubscribed and then resubscribed. See if that works.

Thanks again

The builders called this week to say there was Covid in the shop so the internal painting had slowed down.

Fish TV so we can keep an eye on the crayfish
20210930_112809.jpg

A lot of thought went into the dive ladder.
Had to be strong and deployable from the water
20211112_143911.jpg
20211112_143924.jpg

The lining on one of the shower/heads
20211019_143842.jpg

Visited today and the paint is completed (apart from the non skid which they do last)
Some older pics

20211019_145243.jpg

The dinette and galley space
20211029_093625.jpg

20211029_100548.jpg

Side decks with access to the roof
20211018_124426.jpg

The dinghy and davit will be up there.
00 Wrap.jpg

Engine hatches

Would it be possible to hinge engine hatches on the forward end given you need less access to the front of the engines due to the bulkhead access that your going to have. Check out Harley boats 3400 electric cat that’s what they did

Powercat good idea but again no space to lift the hatch as built. The Herley 3400 is in our local marina here at the Mount.

More detail of the offending hatch
20211112_143539.jpg

The lower step in the guest cabin flips up for long fishing rod storage underneath
20211112_143521 (2).jpg

The engine access hatches cut
20211112_143420.jpg

A small rail around the cockpit console
20211112_143534.jpg

Last shot before moving outside for acid wash
20211112_151912.jpg

oh I see now, same issue! the hatch is nice a wide though, what you loose on the herdy gerdy you pick up on the roundabout. This is going to be such a nice boat, you must be champing at the bit to get on it.

Back
Top Bottom