Old 07-27-2018, 01:40 PM   #1

City: Slidell
Wood Freeman Model 420 Autopilot

I have a Wood Freeman Model 420 Autopilot for sale that came off of a friend's boat. I personally pulled it off. I can vouch the motor works, it turns on and engages the chain drive. The compass appears to be working but the boat was tied to the dock so it was only turning one way. The control box looks good on the inside, though the outside has some rust/oxidation. The remote turns unit off and on but since tied to the dock, not sure if of 100 percent working.

I read these are pretty bullet proof pilots. The grandson of the owner(this company is from the 20s or 30s, first small vessel pilot) still takes service calls even though the company finally closed its doors last year or so. There is a company in Bay City, TX that has parts I believe.

I'm a regular on Cruiserforum under the same name.

I'm located in Slidell 70461 area and would prefer pick up, but could ship. Shipping will be pretty high I imagine and if I could guess would be $50-75.

Make me an decent offer and it's yours.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180709_072056.jpeg
Views:	110
Size:	148.2 KB
ID:	79083Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180709_072034.jpeg
Views:	125
Size:	109.1 KB
ID:	79084Click image for larger version

Name:	MVIMG_20180709_072026.jpeg
Views:	108
Size:	131.6 KB
ID:	79085
Old 07-27-2018, 02:53 PM   #2
Guru

City: Between Oregon and Alaska
Vessel Name: Charlie Harper
Vessel Model: Wheeler Shipyard 83'
The are 2 basic models, hunting and non hunting. Hunting constantly moves the wheel back and forth a small amount. Non-hunting only moves the wheel when outside course parameters. The compass in the blue housing turns and is connected to the motor by either a chain or a rotating cable. The compass has two whiskers that make contact when off course. Usual mounting is a sprocket on the helm shaft. Sprocket size is determined by boat length and handling characteristics.

I had one decades old. Almost everything in the system can be fixed by an electrician or machine shop. I wish current autopilots were as reliable. Basic design from early 1930s.
Parts: https://www.presleysautomotive.com/a...utopilots.aspx
Old 07-27-2018, 04:23 PM   #3

Thanks for the information on it. I am just trying to find a home for it, not looking to make money. I just don't want to throw it away without giving a chance of new life!
Old 07-31-2018, 01:57 PM   #4

Any takers? I will keep it around for a few more weeks and them I'm getting rid of it.
Old 08-10-2018, 10:00 AM   #5
FF
Guru

I would like to get this unit , but would need you to store it till January when we would come and pick it up, or pass it to a cruiser that is coming to Florida for the winter.

How about $30.00?
Old 08-10-2018, 10:10 AM   #6

Hey FF,

That's fine, one thing though is that the control box has been tossed as it was gone through on the inside. Appears most, if not all, is still there. So if you have one already it would make a good spare or if you have schematics you could assemble it back together.

Other than that, yea I can box it up and hold it for you. We may be heading to FL in our boat by then so one way or another we can get it to you.

If that still works for you, let me know and I'll mark it as yours.

Ronnie
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
I would like to get this unit , but would need you to store it till January when we would come and pick it up, or pass it to a cruiser that is coming to Florida for the winter.

How about $30.00?
Old 08-11-2018, 08:05 AM   #7
FF
Guru

We are located on the river and lock system from Ft Myers to the East coast.Caloosahatchie river.

The Ortona Lock is about 1/2 mile away.

We always have room for one more O'nite visitor , and as I have a garage full of old "stuff" perhaps you can find something to take with you.

If not we do have a table saw, 6x48 belt sander , wood lathe , band saw and wood scraps (not much teak!) if you have a project .

The offer of free O'nite dockage (for a boat tour) is open to all cruisers.

Usually 1 Nov to 25 April or so.

Summer Hurricane season gets full tho.