• Trawler Forum Classified Posting Guidelines
    • We expect ads placed to be related to the topic of this forum.
    • Ads that are inactive for 180 days or longer may be moved to the Classified Archive and locked. Ads may be relisted if the item is still current. Alternatively, owners may contact a Moderator to reinstate an archived ad.
    • The Classified section is for advertising, members are asked to refrain from posting discussions to a Classified Ad. Please start a discussion thread or PM the owner for discussions.
    • Do not hijack another member's ad by posting unsolicited commentary. Example: if a member has posted an ad offering an anchor for sale, don't add a post to his thread stating that you have an anchor you'd like to get rid of also. Posts deemed as unsolicited commentary may be removed.
    • For your own security, do NOT include your e-mail or phone number in your ad. Instead request that interested parties contact you via PM (private message) to provide owners contact info.
    • Brokers, Dealers, or those with a commercial interest in a sale are prohibited from posting in Classifieds.
    • Only Trawler Forum Commercial Members may post ads in the Commercial section. You must be a designated Commercial Member to start threads in this section of the forum. (Contact a moderator if you have questions about this)
    • Don't post links to commercial sites where you are also offering the boat, such as eBay, Craigslist or Yachtworld, etc. unless it contains a more in-depth description, additional information or pictures.
    • Place only one ad per item (you may repost only when your ad has expired and been removed).
    For Sale ads MUST include:
    • Asking price
    • Clear statement whether you are the owner or non-owner (posting for friend, relative, or acquaintance)
    • Don't forget to select: FOR SALE, WANTED or FREE in the Title block.
    All ads should also include ALL the following:
    • Pertinent maintenance and condition information
    • Exterior picture or pictures
    • Interior picture or pictures (boats)
    For maximum impact & exposure, it is suggested the Ad Title include: Year, Manufacturer, Model, Length, Price, and Location or at the very top of the ad body. When your item has sold or the ad is no longer relevant: Please post a Reply to the ad that the item is SOLD or click "Report Post" on post 1 of the thread to ask a moderator to archive the ad. Ads may be moved or removed by our staff at any time for any reason. All ads must comply with site rules. Thanks for your cooperation.
  • Avoid Scams.

Our classifieds are free and anyone registered here is welcome to post an ad.
    Be aware that there are unscrupulous folks out there. Avoid any interaction that seems odd to you or �feels� wrong. Inquiries from unknown buyers, buyers �agents� and other non-traditional approaches should be treated with extreme caution.

Beware of unsolicited contacts offering to put you in touch with someone else who is buying or selling via e-mail or text.

Do not post your e-mail address or phone number in a classifieds ad.

Hints that you may be dealing with a Scammer:
    • Seller or Buyer approaches you via a direct email or PM and then steers you to an off-site communication method (text or email).
    • No posts or very few forum posts.
    • Recent forum membership
    • Insists on conducting negotiations via email or text rather than PM
    • Requires payment via Bank Transfer, BitCoin/CryptoCurrency, WesternUnion or other unsecured method.
    • Buyer or Seller suggests Paypal "Friends and Family" payment. Paypal is a good way to arrange payment but an invoice for goods and services should be used rather than "Friends and Family". "Friends and Family" avoids fees BUT there is no recourse if the transaction runs aground. Friends and Family is for gifts only. There is no protection for Friends and Family transactions, so never ever use it to buy something.
    • Declines to allow viewing the item before proceeding with the transaction.

Want to buy a boat for longer voyages, your input please.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GuysDigDirt

We are fairly new to boating, and all that entails.
We would like to find a boat for a small family of 4. We are in Southern California and will use it to explore the coastline, Catalina and other islands. We would like a strong craft with dependable engines. We anticipate that once we have done some near range exploring we will take the craft further, maybe Alaska, BC, Mexico, and destinations like these.
We have looked at, and liked, the Bayliner 38XX boat layouts, but are not sure if the Hino engines have the umph we would like for some further explorations. We also like some others like President, Uniflilte, Ocean, Bertram, DeFever, Cooper Prowler and others.
Budget is likely less than $75k, I know that leaves us with an older boat and we have been looking at a lot of late 70s and 80s vessels and feel they have great value and life still to live.
Safety, dependability, and simplicity of craft and engines are desired.
So what engines and more importantly what hulls should I be looking for?
I can do a lot of work myself, on the craft as well as in the engine room, and enjoy doing so. But I do not want a project boat.
Any guidance you can offer would be most appreciated.
For engines I have been looking for
Lehman 2715, 120, 135
Perkins 4-236, 6354 naturally asperated
Cummins 6BT
Cat 3208 NA
Detroit 53 or 71 series
I could really use someone who knows (knows, thinks, opines) to help me determine which makers to look for or correct my list of engines.

Thank you in advance,
Guy

You are asking a lot for $75,000,but it can be done. You probably will not be able to find a real "passage maker" in that price range. Names like K.K., Saleen, Nordhavn are way out of that range. That doesn't mean you can't get out on the ocean though. I certainly wouldn't attempt it in a Bayliner or Mainship though. The other names you mention are borderline but weather would be the major factor.

You can't go wrong with a Ford Lehman but if you want to do the work mostly yourself I would stick with the older, more simple engines. You also neglected to mention John Deere (Lugger) although you may not find one in your price range.

As always, maintenance history is more important than age. Keep looking. Boat buying is always a compromise. Figure out what is important to you and look for it.

pete

I am in a very similar but not the exact same search with two preteen boys. My first reaction is your stated budget will make it very tough, esp. for a family of four on longer voyages. It is one thing to have two kids on a 30-38 foot vessel for a long weekend or maybe ten-day charter vacations once a year as we have done. Quite another thing to have them on there for weeks at a time. For us, this means more than just two sleeping spaces/staterooms and a salon; it means 46 foot or longer, perhaps in the mid-50 foot range, and a budget of $150k and up if we are traveling distances.

Leaving Southern California to travel in any direction takes a more capable vessel than more simple island hopping in the area, or the time to wait for weather windows that could stretch into weeks?

Of course, this is our criteria, not yours, but it is based on our boating experience thus far.

Perhaps finding one vessel for your near-term mission of skunking around home base on weekends, heading over to the the Channel Islands or Catalina, etc. and then once you decide if that lifestyle suits you, finding a different one later to voyage up the coast and explore the NW?

Last edited:
Thank you for the input so far.

I know this will be a tough search, but thank you for the guidance. I thought to add Deere 4045 engine to the search but like Gardiner, did not think it will be much of an opportunity at this price.
We spent the last three years in an RV traveling so we are used to space confinement and we all get along great so I think the traveling in a tight space will work for us but the bigger the better. The reason I was limiting to the shorter end of the spectrum, maybe 40' or less is the slip/mooring cost associated. Even at 40' local rates are steeper than I want to afford, it cuts into what we can spend on the boat by a considerable amount.
I would ask if there are any boat makers I should focus on for durability in blue water, or other reasons. Any input would be much appreciated.

I owned a Uniflite 42 ACMY and lived aboard for a few years. It was a decent boat. Prior owner was a pilot who had passed unexpectedly and was careful with maintenance. Mine had Cummins 555 engines which were fine but I've since read some folks aren't crazy about them.

At your price point, I like older ACMY and such - Tollycraft are a good boat, and the Viking 43 was a good boat too. These all move up /down the coast, but it's not an easy trip to take your time in exploring the Channel Islands.

Older motoryacht are likely not fast sellers, so you can be picky and wait for a good example that has been well cared for over the years. Otherwise they can be a money pit.

Ocean Alexander 40 trawler is a no nonsense boat. I think they're usually a single, and no teak decks. Monk 36s and defever 41 (I think) also come to mind. I personally like single engines in this size category. More accessible to work on.

Another thought is to spend a bit more but buy a boat that is easy to sell and retains its value. A Mainship 400 is well over your budget, but will sell a year faster than, say, a uniflite 42.

This is a good forum to ping with specific listings.

Good luck

Peter

Some options for your input.

Looking for a boat with good bones and engines. Want ability to use for longer range outing in the future. Your thoughts would be helpful.

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1968/hatteras-3-4-enclosed-flybridge-sportfisher-3573813/

This one is a bit more expensive, likely out of price range but I am looking for the idea of this boat in case I find one within our price range in the future.

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1992/bayliner-4588-raised-pilothouse-3753570/

This one is on the outer edge of our price envelope and a bit of a distance away but we could work on that, more likely wondering what the pros and cons of this vessel are.
https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1980/hatteras-42-lrc-mkii-3723586/

Here are a couple that are in our area and within our price range that I would be interested in thoughts on.

https://www.boattrader.com/boat/1984-marine-trader-sundeck-fb-7723073/

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1989/cooper-prowler-3682511/

https://www.boattrader.com/boat/1979-ocean-super-sport-7260470/

https://www.boattrader.com/boat/1990-bayliner-3888-sedan-bridge-7724252/

thanks for the help

Have you ever gone cruising with the family for any length of time? If not, I'd strongly advise doing some chartering first to see if it is even something everyone is suited for. Plus you will learn a whole bunch as to what your particular crew wants and needs in a cruising boat.

There are many more boats, both in and out of your price range, that will satisfy your immediate needs than will be appropriate for travel to Alaska, or even down the coast of Baja. Unless you are in a position to devote months at a time to cruising, I suspect it will take you many years to develop the experience necessary to safely take any boat to Alaska. Therefore, I would suggest that you focus on getting a boat that will satisfy your needs for local cruising. By the time you are ready to venture further, you will have a much better understanding of your wants and needs for your next boat.

There are many more boats, both in and out of your price range, that will satisfy your immediate needs than will be appropriate for travel to Alaska, or even down the coast of Baja. Unless you are in a position to devote months at a time to cruising, I suspect it will take you many years to develop the experience necessary to safely take any boat to Alaska. Therefore, I would suggest that you focus on getting a boat that will satisfy your needs for local cruising. By the time you are ready to venture further, you will have a much better understanding of your wants and needs for your next boat.

Solid advice right here. I second this.

Get something like this. It’s on the wrong coast, but maybe something similar available on the west coast. Interior not fancy, but great engine room and work spaces.

If I was a young person I would get something like this and go cruising. Learn to weld! Learn to paint!

https://www.boattrader.com/boat/2002-ketch-57-steel-ketch-7631973/

Last edited:
First, I think the OP is well in formed. There is nothing wrong with wanting your cake and eating it as well. I want a 30 year old cheap boat that is not a project.

The questions he should be asking are what accessories are absolutely necessary? How will I use this boat? How much range do I need?

Have you ever gone cruising with the family for any length of time? If not, I'd strongly advise doing some chartering first to see if it is even something everyone is suited for. Plus you will learn a whole bunch as to what your particular crew wants and needs in a cruising boat.

Yes, we have done some cruising together, everyone is more suited for it than I and I am very suited for it, just a bum knee. I think we have a general idea of what we want- everything good, and what we do not- everyting undesireable. Now we just need to find a vessel that has more of the prior and less of the latter.

I have to say right up front thank you for the input. I have been here reading a lot of comments and most of the members I was looking forward to replies from have posted and given sound advice, which I also look forward to more of. There are a few voices missing yet that I hope will give their guidance when the time and situation presents itself. So let me say thank you and invite your further lighting of the way.

I understand this thought process, and thank you for the input. Yes, I do have ample time available to devote to learning and experiencing that which will allow us to have the extended excursions. My sons are strapping and very quick learners. (It scares me how much capacity the youth of today have to soak up information -when they want to. My 16 year old knows more today than most professionals in their 50s who are in various fields. The downside is that the youth of today feel that instant gratification takes too long.) The ideal for us is to find a vessel that we can learn in and know intimately so we are used to it and dialed in when we do take the more distant excursions. I know finding the perfect boat is impossible, and we might find one now and change before the longer trips, but if we can make the best choice now and it might for the long run then we are ahead of the game.

You might look at converted fishing boats. They're heavy built, roomy with the hold converted and fishing gear gone.
www.pacificboatbrokers.com has a lot of boats. They're on Vancouver Island and the exchange rate is in the US favor. I bought my current boat thru them. Great service, not pushy.
Here's one: https://www.pacificboatbrokers.com/used-boats-for-sale/PW4920/wood-trawler-yacht.asp
Excellent idea, thank you. Are there any issues buying in Canada and bringing into the US?
Your recommended vessel brought a question to mind. One engine vs two, I think I will start another thread if I cannot find one that has visited this topic. I would love to have a Gardener engine, from what I hear here on the forum it is arguably the best engine to have.
I appreciate your input here and all the other threads I have read you on. Thank you.

Hey I’m a big fan of buying your last boat first (at least until years later you may want to downsize due to kids leaving the nest, physical agility reduced in later years, or mission greatly changing e.g. exchanging northwest cruising for doing the Great Loop) despite my advice earlier.

My thoughts on buying smaller first then upgrading later is mostly in reaction to the stated budget.

A sailboat fits your needs much better than any power boat in your price range.

A sailboat fits your needs much better than any power boat in your price range.

Interesting comment. As a sailor myself, I'd recommend at least taking a look around. Whole other thread about pros/cons there for sure! I looked seriously at a few Cal 46 motorsailers which could suit you if you found a good one, for example. You'd probably end up motoring 80% of the time though, which is what kept me coming back to trawlers.

We just bought a West Coast cruiser for our family of five (3 girls ages 7-12) in your price range. One major constraint we found was the need for 3 staterooms - if you can get by with 2 your options will be much much greater whether sail or power.

Anything you find in that range will require some work even for local cruising and more work for longer ranges. We are sort of boxed in here in SoCal, with few fuel stops to the South, and pretty serious conditions to the north once you're past Pt. Conception. I used to dream of making the passage up to the PNW, but the reality is I think my family would divorce me.

Excellent idea, thank you. Are there any issues buying in Canada and bringing into the US?
Your recommended vessel brought a question to mind. One engine vs two, I think I will start another thread if I cannot find one that has visited this topic. I would love to have a Gardener engine, from what I hear here on the forum it is arguably the best engine to have.
I appreciate your input here and all the other threads I have read you on. Thank you.

We recently (this month) purchased a boat for somewhat similar cruising requirements, although we're planning on taking her from Puget Sound back to Caribbean at some point. She has a Gardner 8LXB (sorry Alaskaflyer, don't mean to rub it in). Single engine. For me, I like the idea of the Gardner, but one of our requirements was that the boat have "get home" capability. Wing engine, some method of turning the main drive shaft, SOMETHING that gives you capability of moving under your own power (albeit slower) if the main engine goes out. Our boat theoretically has that capability, but yet to be demonstrated. Unfortunately we are not yet at the boat, so we can't experiment with that yet . . . :mad:. Good luck in your search, and you came to the right place to get good recommendations!:thumb:

This Vega. Has the capability go anywhere in Alaska

Ps not my boat just love them hate to see it on the hard and your budget would have this thing Skokum

That sure is a pretty looking boat. Hope someone will bring her back to life! Unfortunately it won't work for the OP as he is looking at traveling with family of four!

My choice, my boat, amongst few others within this category: Selene36 or Selene 40, aft cabin version. Mine is the 36, twin engines (quite rare, as most are single engine), stabilized.

I would recommend a GB42 with twin Lehman 120 engines. Just perfect for your needs.

You are not wrong to want a reliable engine but make sure to understand the hull form it is in.

A semi- planning hull such as all the boats you mention are going to, well to be blunt they are going to suck at sea between point conception and cape flattery. While those boats may be fine south of conception and in the Inner PNW passage you need to understand that a non stabilized planning hull is a miserable ride in the normal costal conditions in a vast area you seek to venture.

My .02 would be modifying your expectations or look at a trawler with a full displacement hull and stabilizers . Or go with the cowboy up mentality and have the family meet you at the cruising grounds after you fo the passage.

You are not wrong to want a reliable engine but make sure to understand the hull form it is in.

A semi- planning hull such as all the boats you mention are going to, well to be blunt they are going to suck at sea between point conception and cape flattery. . . . you need to understand that a non stabilized planning hull is a miserable ride in the normal costal conditions in a vast area you seek to venture.

This may be an overly broad generalization and, in some cases, a gross exaggeration.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom