Old 03-10-2019, 09:51 AM   #1

City: Ottawa
Vessel Name: Leucothea
Vessel Model: Bestway Labelle 43
Walking foot sewing machine

Looking for a walking foot sewing machine , sailrite or similar.

Interested in working machines only
Old 03-14-2019, 10:05 PM   #2
Guru

I've got one that's not for sale but let me share what I learned in the buying process. I paid $175 for mine, its a Consew brand. Consew is a respected commercial sewing machine company in Japan. The machine is Chinese. I suspect this a low dollar import for Consew from China. It the same basic machine as the sailrite straight stich. That is sold as various brands on Ebay. Parts and accessories from Sailrite work. This machine is sold by many ebay marketers. Generally about $300 I believe the Sailrite machines are imported then fine-tuned in Indiana. That's a value added. In my particular situation I reasoned: Consew is a respected brand, they are not prone to sell junk that just needs fine tuning to work well. I reasoned that resale would probably equal Sailrite. So I was comfortable it. At 25% od the cost of a new Sailrite, Also including a few cones of thread, accessories and a case, and a large coil of polyester batting it was a deal.
Old 03-15-2019, 06:30 AM   #3
TF Site Team

City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
A couple of comments...
I have a Sailrite and think it's a good fit for hobby & low volume work. There are several similar machines being sold at competitive prices.
If you search eBay I think you will find a Canadian outlet that has many similar machines at attractive prices.
I found mine locally on Craigslist and they do turn up periodically.
I put together a "getting started" seminar for our local boating group and posted the handout on my Bacchus website. Feel free to review / download (link is on the home page)
There is also a DIY Canvas Tips & Tricks thread on TG that may be helpful when you are getting started.
Good luck w your quest... it's a worthwhile one.
Old 03-15-2019, 09:25 PM   #4
DDW
Guru

City: San Francisco
There have been numerous Sailrite LZ1 on ebay recently. Some high priced, some not. Sailrite and the others are all Chinese copies, the Sailrite upgrades go beyond tuning though - several reworked and strengthened parts inside.
Old 03-16-2019, 06:38 AM   #5
Veteran Member

City: Penetanguishene
Vessel Name: Loose Goose X, and second boat, the Benchmark
Vessel Model: 1994 Ocean Alexander 423 and a 1967 Chris Craft Constellation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paramedic62 View Post
Looking for a walking foot sewing machine , sailrite or similar.

Interested in working machines only
I have a working, older but perfectly serviceable Sailrite Ultrafeed LSZ1 ZigZag walking foot machine available. Comes with power and pedal cord, case, Monster wheel, 3 bobbins, a few needles and the thread dispenser arm and base. Very powerful machine....I have sewn a very large 40 mil StrataGlass enclosure, helm and fender covers, upholstery repairs, handrail and bulwark covers flagstaff covers etc....not much it can't sew.

It is currently located in Stuart Florida, but can be picked up in Toronto area mid April. $500 USD firm.

PM if of interest
Attached Thumbnails
31_themachine.jpg   40_newsetup.jpg  
Old 03-18-2019, 08:50 AM   #6
TF Site Team

City: Westerly, RI
Vessel Name: N/A
Vessel Model: 1999 Mainship 350 Trawler
PM Sent
Old 03-19-2019, 11:00 AM   #7

City: Ottawa
Vessel Name: Leucothea
Vessel Model: Bestway Labelle 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benchmark View Post
I have a working, older but perfectly serviceable Sailrite Ultrafeed LSZ1 ZigZag walking foot machine available. Comes with power and pedal cord, case, Monster wheel, 3 bobbins, a few needles and the thread dispenser arm and base. Very powerful machine....I have sewn a very large 40 mil StrataGlass enclosure, helm and fender covers, upholstery repairs, handrail and bulwark covers flagstaff covers etc....not much it can't sew.

It is currently located in Stuart Florida, but can be picked up in Toronto area mid April. $500 USD firm.

PM if of interest

Pm sent yesterday